Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 03-24-2010, 8:26 AM

Default AR-10: 308 vs 260 Remington

I am building an AR-10 rifle, and need to order a barrel, and choose between 308 and 260 Remington. Looking for some answers.

1) I figure the 260 Remington has shorter barrel life, but how much shorter?
2) Recoil is no doubt less with the 260 Remington, but enough to help the rifle shoot more accurately?

I am shooting most often at 100 yards (all the local range has), 300, and potentially 600 yards, maybe even 800 far less often. The rifle will have an effective muzzle brake, is primarily a bench or prone gun (weight not an issue), and top accuracy is the objective. I will be reloading my own.

I am thinking that the 308 has longer barrel life, and with a good muzzle brake, may be pleasant enough to shoot and still deliver top accuracy out to 300 yards that the 260 Remington may not be able to much improve on. ???

- Phil
Old 03-24-2010, 8:33 AM
Vendor/Retailer
CGN Contributor

Out past 500 yards I would go with the .260 (I'm building one now). I have yet to talk to anyone who has regreted getting a .260 rem.

Check out my engraving gallery on my website, Thanks
http://vadertactical.com/engraving-gallery
Old 03-24-2010, 8:43 AM
Veteran Member

Stick with the .308 in the AR platforms using anything else will just get your hopes up. If you want a .260 build a bolt gun, but if you want a semi-auto stick with the .308. The money you have to spend to get a gas gun near or equal to the accuracy of a bolt action .260 at extended ranges would be horrific. Would be cheaper to build a custom rifle and put the extra money you saved towards optics.
Old 03-24-2010, 9:18 AM
Calguns Addict
CGN Contributor

I'd go 260. Much better longer range round then the 308. Anything you would shoot with a 308 could also be taken with a 260 just the same and the recoil is very tame. I don't even think you would need a break. If you are going to reload there is no cost difference. I just like the 6.5 bullet so much for their high BC and SD. They take one look at the wind and say "what, is that all you got?" and just keep going. Not a fan of the 30cals.
Old 03-24-2010, 9:39 AM

If you want a accurate long range rifle build a bolt gun... I would build the AR10 as a .308 with off the shelf parts and save the money.
Old 03-24-2010, 10:06 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil3 View Post
I am building an AR-10 rifle, and need to order a barrel, and choose between 308 and 260 Remington. Looking for some answers.

1) I figure the 260 Remington has shorter barrel life, but how much shorter?
2) Recoil is no doubt less with the 260 Remington, but enough to help the rifle shoot more accurately?

I am shooting most often at 100 yards (all the local range has), 300, and potentially 600 yards, maybe even 800 far less often. The rifle will have an effective muzzle brake, is primarily a bench or prone gun (weight not an issue), and top accuracy is the objective. I will be reloading my own.

I am thinking that the 308 has longer barrel life, and with a good muzzle brake, may be pleasant enough to shoot and still deliver top accuracy out to 300 yards that the 260 Remington may not be able to much improve on. ???

- Phil
Do you reload? If so, I'd say go with the 260 - you can also put a brake on the AR if it's chambered in 260, be even easier to shoot.

I doubt there's much difference between the two at 300 yds or so, but having an AR 10 type in 308 and a 260 (Encore) I have to say the 260 is just a great all around performer. Lots of bullets to choose from, great ballistics. But I think reloading is a must - last box of 260 factory ammo I saw was about $35.00.

My suggestion - be different, get the 260.
Old 03-24-2010, 11:07 AM

Quote:
top accuracy is the objective. I will be reloading my own.
- Phil
sounds like you need a bolt gun.
Old 03-24-2010, 11:24 AM
Veteran Member

As you said, .260 has a shorter bbl life. However, IIRC I read that Boots Obermeyer got about 6000rds with a .260 using Moly bullets. The only problem is that its a toss up as to whether your bbl will even like moly bullets, and for most custom barrel makers Moly will void the waranty. Im looking into hBN coatings because it seems to not have the "buildup" that Moly has. I just need to check if it will void a Rock barrel waranty.

Im not too worried about replacing a barrel. If I can afford to build such a gun in the first place, feed it several thousand rounds, drive to shoot it enough to burn out the bbl, etc., then I can afford to replace it once the time comes. Gata pay to play.

If you really want to be cool, get .260, but you just need to figure out if the typically shorter bbl life is fine with you and I would highly suggest that you reload.

If you do mind and/or if you dont reload, then the .308 will get you to 800 with no problem. Its your choice.

Check out my LMT .308 AR
Quote:
Originally Posted by kotton View Post
I have to try that method of attaching the front of a sling to the gun via pubic hair.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bomb_on_bus View Post
Best part of buying that stock is it comes with its own complimentary jar of anal lube! There were several flavors to choose from, regular, hot cinnamon, or bacon. Im a man of danger so I chose Hot cinnamon to use with my bump fire buttstock.
Old 03-24-2010, 11:32 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpach View Post
As you said, .260 has a shorter bbl life. However, IIRC I read that Boots Obermeyer got about 6000rds with a .260 using Moly bullets. The only problem is that its a toss up as to whether your bbl will even like moly bullets, and for most custom barrel makers Moly will void the waranty. Im looking into hBN coatings because it seems to not have the "buildup" that Moly has. I just need to check if it will void a Rock barrel waranty.

Im not too worried about replacing a barrel. If I can afford to build such a gun in the first place, feed it several thousand rounds, drive to shoot it enough to burn out the bbl, etc., then I can afford to replace it once the time comes. Gata pay to play.

If you really want to be cool, get .260, but you just need to figure out if the typically shorter bbl life is fine with you and I would highly suggest that you reload.

If you do mind and/or if you dont reload, then the .308 will get you to 800 with no problem. Its your choice.
+1

Ahhhhhhhhhhh! Man that was some great Kool-Aid.......... hmmmmmm theres a hint of something metallic. Oh well guess I will get on with the voting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGTp View Post
So if you do ban me you will hear from my lawyer as to why you think you can violate peoples civil rights
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosinnagantm9130 View Post
Oh for ****s sake, now there are two of them.This is the type of **** anti's point to when they want to make us all look crazy.
Old 03-24-2010, 1:07 PM

I did not make clear that I know a bolt gun will deliver the best accuracy, but am looking for the best accuracy that a semi-auto can deliver. I will be getting a bolt gun later to pursue the tiniest groups..I know the semi-auto can not match a good bolt gun for this kind of work.

- Phil
Old 03-24-2010, 1:22 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I did not make clear that I know a bolt gun will deliver the best accuracy, but am looking for the best accuracy that a semi-auto can deliver. I will be getting a bolt gun later to pursue the tiniest groups..I know the semi-auto can not match a good bolt gun for this kind of work.

- Phil
It CAN match bolt gun accuracy, but its just a lot harder. More variables and such with semis.

Check out my LMT .308 AR
Quote:
Originally Posted by kotton View Post
I have to try that method of attaching the front of a sling to the gun via pubic hair.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bomb_on_bus View Post
Best part of buying that stock is it comes with its own complimentary jar of anal lube! There were several flavors to choose from, regular, hot cinnamon, or bacon. Im a man of danger so I chose Hot cinnamon to use with my bump fire buttstock.
Old 03-24-2010, 1:58 PM

For my bolt gun, I will probably be shooting at 600 yards with a 6mmBR. The kind of accuracy this round in a bolt gun could deliver is something I am not confident any semi-auto could reliably and consistently deliver. Someone, or some gun may prove me wrong.

- Phil