Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 03-23-2010, 4:42 PM
Veteran Member

Default How to Wear Paddle Holster With a Belt

I recently acquired a Serpa Blackhawk CQC holster for the Glock 17. It comes with the paddle and the belt loop attachment.

The paddle has hooks that allows you secure the paddle to your belt. I find it is more comfortable when using the paddle while wearing a belt to insert the paddle between the belt and the pants. The paddle is therefore outside of the pants.

When I put the paddle inside the pants, the plastic rubs my waist through my underwear, causing a bit of discomfort. The paddle also pulls the pants fabric away from my hip which looks strange.

Is it okay/normal/acceptable to wear the paddle outside of the pants? The hooks seem pretty secure.

Last edited by Shotgun Man; 03-23-2010 at 4:47 PM..
Old 03-23-2010, 5:11 PM

If that is the way you want to wear this holster then just use the belt loop attachment that replaces the paddle.

IF THE BRADY BUNCH WAS AROUND
WHEN CAIN KILLED ABEL,
THERE WOULD BE A 10DAY
WAITING PERIOD ON ROCKS
Old 03-23-2010, 5:32 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slik556 View Post
If that is the way you want to wear this holster then just use the belt loop attachment that replaces the paddle.
Yes, I would do that if I was planning ahead. But I want to be able to spontaneously carry with the holster even if I'm wearing pants without a belt. The paddle allows that, although without a belt it is not as secure. So the paddle is more versatile, allowing both belted and beltless carry.
Old 03-23-2010, 5:36 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shotgun Man View Post
When I put the paddle inside the pants, the plastic rubs my waist through my underwear, causing a bit of discomfort. The paddle also pulls the pants fabric away from my hip which looks strange.

Is it okay/normal/acceptable to wear the paddle outside of the pants? The hooks seem pretty secure.
Maybe you need to switch to big boy pants.

The paddle is meant to help with retention; it keeps the holster from moving around and keeps the gun where you expect it to be should you need to draw. With that said, if it seems secure enough with the paddle between your belt and pants, you should be G2G.
Old 03-23-2010, 6:03 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
The paddle also pulls the pants fabric away from my hip which looks strange.
this looks less strange than a big slab of plastic outside your pants???
Old 03-23-2010, 6:33 PM

I use the belt loop system for my glock with a duty belt when shooting. The only thin I need now is belt keepers, when you draw at a slight angle it wants to pull the belt up with the gun.
Old 03-23-2010, 7:18 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
when you draw at a slight angle it wants to pull the belt up with the gun.
your Serpa shouldn't be doing that, maybe you should adjust the ride angle
Old 03-23-2010, 7:20 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9mmepiphany View Post
this looks less strange than a big slab of plastic outside your pants???
I'm somewhat uninitiated to holsters, so that doesn't look strange to me.
Old 03-23-2010, 7:41 PM

If I am picturing what you said right, I used to wear my Serpa that way too. It was just more comfortable than clipping it to my pants' waistline and having the inner part of the paddle against my hip. I ended up just taking off the paddle and going with the belt loop attachment full time.
Old 03-23-2010, 7:46 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Location: Northern Mexico(San Jose) Where illegals have rights and citizens get screwed

First off holsters are 100% personal preferance. What works for you may not work for someone esle. That being said, be fore I buy a holster I'll head to a shop that has a wide selection.(usally a police supply shop)
I bring the gun I'll carry and wear what would be normal wear and spend some time trying them out. If it's a CCW holster then bring a shirt or jacket to see how that works when drawing from conceilment. I'm picky with my gear though, it could only be my life at stake.

Don't skimp either, just because it's cheap doesn't make it a good deal or that it's garbage.
The others, well......they just never learn.

"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, Give Me Liberty, Or Give Me Death!"
Patrick Henry.
Old 03-23-2010, 10:54 PM
Calguns Addict
CGN Contributor

I think holsters are the most personal thing gun owners have to pick out. You can get used to just about any gun but an uncomfortable holster is just like a thorn in your side. I have a few of each (paddle, IWB, OWB) and some are good while others just plain suck. For me any paddle that is made of plastic should be avoided. They just dig into your skin and hurt. Holsters that attach to the belt have to have at least 2 mount points and the wider apart the better IMO. Nothing worse than a holster flipping a flopping around. I like a holster that is held tight to my side.

The Black Widow is one of my favorites
Old 03-24-2010, 12:14 AM

I use a Serpa with a G17. Obviously I can't carry my pistol with my everywhere, but plenty of times I just wear the holster to/from the range. I've had it for hours on end and the only discomfort I get is sometimes in the car. It moves ever so slightly because I wear it at a 3 o'clock position. I adjust it when I'm in the car because I don't like it biting into my leather seats.

With that being said I have a small frame, and a small waist. Right now it fluctuates between about a 30-32". I've never experienced any "rubbing" of any sorts. In fact sometimes I completely forget I have it on. I prefer using the paddle attachment as opposed to belt loops because it's easier to get on and off. Minus the hook that is meant to grab your inner waistband.
Old 03-24-2010, 11:52 AM
Veteran Member
CGN Contributor

Yes, the paddle goes inside the pants. I don't notice any irritaion from any of my Serpa's, because it rides against my tucked in shirt.
"A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself...A murderer is less to fear. The traitor is the plague."......Cicero
Old 03-25-2010, 7:07 AM

It's fine to wear the paddle outside of the pants if that's how you want to wear it. I really don't think anyone else will look at you and care enough to think about how gauche you are because your paddle is on the outside or whatever.