Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 03-15-2010, 9:31 AM

Default Looking for an inexpensive lock box / safe for single handgun

I hate the whole gun lock thing, I much prefer a small lock box.

I am considering the purchase of a small lock box to keep in the bedroom, and apparently since CA now requires me (when purchasing a new gun) to swear I have some such lock or safe I figured I would try to find one that meets with their approval.

First I live alone, there are no kids or stupid adults that should be anywhere near my gun. I guess kids can always find a why but I don't get many visitors in that category. But I can see the value of keeping a gun in a lockable cabinet that is difficult to remove (I am replacing a gun that was stolen from my home.) I would prefer a small single handgun sized box with a digital code lock or maybe those fingerprint deals if they really work. I will find a way to hide and anchor it and well if it gets pried open at least I tried and met the gov't requirement. I have seen many small box safes that seem like they would work just fine. Even Harbor Freight has a few that look promising but I didn't find them on the CA list.

Anyone have or know of something that fits the bill. I really want to keep it inexpensive and simple....and maybe if it is affordable, small and transportable I could get a second for the car when traveling to the range etc.

Thanks
Darren
Old 03-15-2010, 10:16 AM

I just got one Friday by V-line. It's just big enough to put a Glock 17 with an extra mag. I went with this unit because it does not require batteries of external power.

http://www.deansafe.com/vli-279-s.html

IYAOYAS
Old 03-15-2010, 10:26 AM

This is cheap at only $30. And if you don't want the combo one, you can get one with a key lock. http://www.topglock.com/item/173596_...TY_BOX_CO.aspx

Otherwise, I'd invest in a GunVault as they're only $90 shipped at Overstock.com and stay way from the biometric locks, as there have already been reports that it takes a slow & steady swipe to make it read (and you need to do it at the correct angle). My laptop works the same way and it's more of pain than to log into it, same with using a combo or key lock opposed to a biometrics lock.
Old 03-15-2010, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFJ80 View Post
This is cheap at only $30. And if you don't want the combo one, you can get one with a key lock. http://www.topglock.com/item/173596_...TY_BOX_CO.aspx

i was gonna post the same one, my understanding is that combo lock sucks get a key one instead.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...rid=2146251080
Old 03-15-2010, 10:37 AM

Heck, just go to Walmart. I picked one up for about $30 with an electronic lock... AND a regular KEY lock as a backup. Even has a handle. Its nothing special but it keeps little hands off the gun.
Old 03-15-2010, 11:19 AM

Default GunVault

I have the GunVault Micro Vault, it sits on my nightstand w/ my XD 45C & extra clip. I opted for the Standard version instead of the Biometric version because I wanted a secure box that will open when I need it to.
Old 03-15-2010, 12:45 PM

I have one to those Secure-it containers. Fits a full sized 1911 and a mag.
Old 03-15-2010, 12:46 PM

Here's another option -similar to 2 other safes posted above but a different maker

http://www.center-of-mass.com/index.htm

S&W 915 9mm ~ Colt Gov't .45 ~ Taurus 85 .38
Sig P220 Carry ~ Sig P239 ~
Winchester 1300 defender 12g
>>> RETIRED <<<
Walther PPK ~ S&W 686 ~ Ruger Security Six
Sig P230
Old 03-15-2010, 1:39 PM

Thanks for all the good hits....never thought to check Walmart ...they do have a couple that are Cal Certified and similar to what I was looking for. I like the center of mass ones too but they are not on the CA list and so far I haven't found that they claim to be certified DOJ compliant...I think there is an exception to the DOJ list but in my casual reading it seemed to rule out most of the ones I have seen even some of the one that are on the list.
Old 03-15-2010, 8:20 PM

V-Line in the house, combo Secure-It in the truck.

Sentry has some nice options coming out this year.
Old 03-15-2010, 8:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macdarren View Post

First I live alone, there are no kids or stupid adults that should be anywhere near my gun. I guess kids can always find a why but I don't get many visitors in that category. But I can see the value of keeping a gun in a lockable cabinet that is difficult to remove (I am replacing a gun that was stolen from my home.)

Thanks
Darren
Read your post.
You are replacing a gun that was stolen from your home.
The small lock boxes do nothing but keep little fingers off of what is in side.
California doesn’t require you to store a handgun in your house locked up. They only require you to prevent minors from getting access to it.

I have a friend that had a two gun lock box with a motion sensor on it that was bolted down in a closet. The same pray bar that was used to force open a bedroom window was used to pry open the lock box. Yes he lost two hand guns that were loaded and stored in them.

Get yourself a safe.
You can find them at Costco for around $500.00.
A safe is nothing more then something to slow a thefts access.
Alarm your house or apartment to the hilt.
Remember as economy remains bad, Residential burglary will be high.
Get renters insurance or home owners insurance. It is cheap.
At least my friend had renters insurance and got reimbursed for all of his loss less then $500.00 deductable.

You guns go into safe when you are not at home.
They come out when you are home and they are under your control, whether carried or put away.

Last edited by ontmark; 03-15-2010 at 9:20 PM..
Old 03-15-2010, 8:50 PM

Here's another vote for http://www.gunvault.com/
Old 03-16-2010, 2:52 PM

I have been satisfied with my Gunvault. You can secure it to some furniture and also have the ability to open it quickly with the keypad code (takes less than a second).
Old 03-16-2010, 3:44 PM

I use the GunVault Micro when I'm home, the XD 45C is in the safe (GunVault 5500) when I'm not home.

The Second Amendment....
The Original Homeland Security!
Old 03-16-2010, 4:16 PM
Calguns Addict

I have a Homak pistol safe that is bolted to a piece of furniture. I paid about $33.00 for it shipped to my home. It has a battery operated combo with a 'back-up' feature.
Since you had a theft already, you need something secure. www.turners.com often has the Amsec safes at a good price. Not small or transportable.
good luck.
Old 03-16-2010, 11:09 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mothermopar View Post
Heck, just go to Walmart. I picked one up for about $30 with an electronic lock... AND a regular KEY lock as a backup. Even has a handle. Its nothing special but it keeps little hands off the gun.
I saw these after buying one similiar to a Stack-On drawer safe and I think they might be the same ones. The ones Walmart are Winchester but they do look a lot like Stack-On.

AR's gone through it's final evolution...for now: Precision rig & close encounters
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...&postcount=460

shuttlecock
Old 03-17-2010, 10:52 PM

Costco
Nice Cannon $579.00 delivered
http://www.costco.com/Service/Featur...veOnlineOffers
Old 03-17-2010, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontmark View Post
Read your post.
You are replacing a gun that was stolen from your home.
The small lock boxes do nothing but keep little fingers off of what is in side.
California doesn’t require you to store a handgun in your house locked up. They only require you to prevent minors from getting access to it.

I have a friend that had a two gun lock box with a motion sensor on it that was bolted down in a closet. The same pray bar that was used to force open a bedroom window was used to pry open the lock box. Yes he lost two hand guns that were loaded and stored in them.

Get yourself a safe.
You can find them at Costco for around $500.00.
A safe is nothing more then something to slow a thefts access.
Alarm your house or apartment to the hilt.
Remember as economy remains bad, Residential burglary will be high.
Get renters insurance or home owners insurance. It is cheap.
At least my friend had renters insurance and got reimbursed for all of his loss less then $500.00 deductable.

You guns go into safe when you are not at home.
They come out when you are home and they are under your control, whether carried or put away.
I want to chime in about the insurance. I work as a financial planner, most common homeowner and renters insurance only cover 500 in firearms. Make sure you get a rider that insures it higher. Jewelery , silverware and other limits are low, please check on those items with your agent.
Old 03-18-2010, 2:32 PM

If you been robbed before, you're going to need a real safe. Expect to pay $500 and up for a decent one.

But legally, you dont have to have your guns locked up, its only if you have kids or something in the house. The only time you need a CA approved lock is when you first purchase the gun.