Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 03-13-2010, 10:22 AM

Default Match grade vs "regular ammo

Since I JUST bought a Remington 700 in .308 thanks in part to awesome feedback and guidance from calgunners... I am now buying some ammo with a view to doing ITTS's SNiper1 class in a couple months time.

WHat exactly is the difference between match grade ammo which seems to start at about $1 per round vs say PMC, which I see at about 60c per round? Is it that the match grade is more consistent from one round to the next, or better quality, or both? Or is there also an element of marketing as well?

I have become quite a big fan of PMC ammo for both my 9mm and AR in .223. In the many thousands or rounds (and dollars!) that I have blown though of this stuff I have never had one FTF or other problem. And they seem pretty accurate shooting consistently at about 300 yards.

So for a noob to precision riflelry (if you can call it that), do I even need match ammo at this point? Or is it only for those highly skilled marksmen where the extra amount of accuracy wold actually make a difference?
Old 03-13-2010, 10:30 AM
Veteran Member

Consistency in the velocity mostly which makes a difference with accuracy when you shoot beyond 100 yards. Cheaper ammo can sometimes have 100-200fps variance between shots. Match ammo like Fed Gold Match, Black Hills or Lapua will rarely vary more than 50fps.

Of course, you can make handloads that vary less than 15fps
Old 03-13-2010, 10:32 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidRSA View Post
Since I JUST bought a Remington 700 in .308 thanks in part to awesome feedback and guidance from calgunners... I am now buying some ammo with a view to doing ITTS's SNiper1 class in a couple months time.

WHat exactly is the difference between match grade ammo which seems to start at about $1 per round vs say PMC, which I see at about 60c per round? Is it that the match grade is more consistent from one round to the next, or better quality, or both? Or is there also an element of marketing as well?

I have become quite a big fan of PMC ammo for both my 9mm and AR in .223. In the many thousands or rounds (and dollars!) that I have blown though of this stuff I have never had one FTF or other problem. And they seem pretty accurate shooting consistently at about 300 yards.

So for a noob to precision riflelry (if you can call it that), do I even need match ammo at this point? Or is it only for those highly skilled marksmen where the extra amount of accuracy wold actually make a difference?
You can plink with anything, but if you're serious about precision rifle accuracy, it's either Federal Gold Medal match, Black Hills Match, or roll your own.

The Privi Partisan match ammo is just a cut below Federal and BH, and is a little more affordable.

The term "match" is used in certain ways to generate sales, but applied to the ammo I referenced above, it's a true and not hype.
- Jeff Cooper

Check my current auctions on Gunbroker - user name bigbasscat - see what left California before Roberti-Roos
Old 03-13-2010, 10:34 AM
I need a LIFE!!

The difference is about 1MOA.

There is no marketing here. The cost difference is because the components and techniques are better, while the production quantity is less.

The type and quality of the bullets, the powder consistency (both in quantity dosed and consistency of powder itself), and the quality of the loading (seating depth, case size parameters, etc) will all be much better.

What this means is the velocity, trajectory, and in-flight characteristics will all be very similar. This gives precision, and precision becomes accuracy in the hands of an accomplished shooter.

In practical terms, a good barrel with typical commercial ammo will shoot about 1-1.5MOA. A good barrel with match ammo will shoot 0.5MOA.

Of course, you can improve on this even further by loading your own.

Google Map of OLL Dealers

List of CA-friendly Manufacturers, Dealers, Middlemen, and Magazine rebuild kit dealers
Click me-->So you're a n00b and you want to build an AR? <--Click me
This post is based on actual events. Some facts may be altered for dramatic purposes. All posts are pure opinion. All persons, living and dead, are purely coincidental, and should not be construed.
Old 03-13-2010, 10:35 AM

Match grade ammo is more expensive than regular because the bullets are more consistant in weight, the powder is more consistant and I believe the primers are of better quality. I would zero my rifle with match ammo, use regular ammo and save the brass. You will want to start reloading ammo for your particular rifle as a precision shooter.

Learn the ballistic characteristics of your rifle and learn how your scope works with it.

Practice, practice, practice!

Hope this helps!
Old 03-13-2010, 10:43 AM
Veteran Member

Think of it this way - plinking ammo can be made quickly because measurements can be eyeballed while match ammo takes longer because everything needs to be more precise.

My plinking hand loads are done with a simple powder throw where I only weigh every 5-10 charges and seating depth is eyeballed (at the canilure). With match loads I sort brass and bullets by weight and make sure trim dimensions are dead on. Next I double weigh each powder charge for consistency and each round is measured for overall length at the bullet ogive on a micrometer. I can make 100 rounds of plinking ammo in the time it takes me to make 10-20 match rounds.
Old 03-13-2010, 10:56 AM

Most of the "match" comes from the premium bullets they use.

I can buy a box of Sierra Matchkings and start pulling my Dillon press handle and turn out stuff that's as good if not better than factory match.