Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Shoots, Meets and Range Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

CGSSA Shoots, Meets and Range Stories Set up and organize shoots and meets and share your shooting range stories.

View Poll Results: ARE YOU GONNA MAKE THE TREK??
YES I wanna make the trek 3 75.00%
Sorry I can't make it 0 0%
I have plans that are not confirmed yet. 1 25.00%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-10-2010, 7:45 PM
Veteran Member

Default Imperial county shooting

OK, I'm making this thread to simply get a head count of people willing to make the trek out to my favorite shooting spot out in imperial county.

The date of this gathering will be either the 27th of this month or the 3rd of april, both are on a saturday. I plan on leaving my house around 7-8am in the morning and picking up those that needs rides that are close to the route I have linked below. For those from further up north, there is a park and ride next to the north county mall. If you feel safe leaving your vehicle there its probably the easiest place for me to pick you up. I have enough room for 3-4 other people. All I ask is for a couple bucks for gas.

Here is the link to the exact route I take. NOTE, I have started at the North County Mall in Escondido and End at the Texaco station. The Texaco station is the general meeting place. Edit the route per your location. Its prefered to have 4x4 but a truck with good tires and limited slip would be fine too. No one will be left behind.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...,1.783905&z=10

I know its a drive for some but I believe its worth it. Its a secluded spot that not many people know exists. I do not plan on staying the night but a few coronas** might change my mind (also depending on the consensus of people that need a ride) Either way it doesn't matter to me. I will bring carne asada and fixings to eat if someone would be kind enough to bring a grill. Anything else you want to contribute would be awesome too.

SO!! Reply to this thread if your willing to make the trek and provide me with a head count so I know how much carne to bring. If you would also please send me a PM with your contact info and I will send you mine for meeting purposes.

** I do not drink and shoot if some misread my statement. The relaxing begins when all firearms are safely stored and the food is on the grill. **

Last edited by Nick1236; 03-10-2010 at 7:58 PM..
Old 03-10-2010, 7:49 PM
Banned

Link takes me to a spot in Tulsa, OK.

IS THIS A TRAP???????????????????
Old 03-10-2010, 7:58 PM
Veteran Member

Link is fixed sorry.
Old 03-10-2010, 8:22 PM

Yes, depending on the date. If not this time, next time for sure. If people want to try shooting, go buy box of 100rd of 9mm, 45ACP or 223 and you can try out my boomsticks. Let me know what caliber you buy so I can pack accordingly.
Old 03-10-2010, 10:24 PM

Gah! Both the 27th and 3rd are bad for me.
I'm free any Sunday, but Saturdays are tough.

So, I won't make this time, but I'll make the next one. Hopefully I'll have my arsenal by then.

btw- I've got a WRX. Would that make it on these roads, or do you need monster truck tires? It's AWD, but it doesn't have the greatest ground clearance.
Old 03-11-2010, 7:15 AM
Veteran Member

So I wanna be fair on this, from the replys and PMs I've been getting the general consensus is Saturdays aren't the best day. If you would like to go Sunday the 28th or Sunday the 4th please respond below. I can go either day.

SPaikmos - low ground clearance would be an issue. The trail does have some rocks that might be a problem. If you dont mind scraping your underbody a little thats up to you.
Old 03-11-2010, 8:00 AM

Where is the shooting area? I would assume South of the freeway?
Old 03-11-2010, 8:10 AM
Veteran Member

Yeah its to the south.
Old 03-11-2010, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick1236 View Post
So I wanna be fair on this, from the replys and PMs I've been getting the general consensus is Saturdays aren't the best day. If you would like to go Sunday the 28th or Sunday the 4th please respond below. I can go either day.

SPaikmos - low ground clearance would be an issue. The trail does have some rocks that might be a problem. If you dont mind scraping your underbody a little thats up to you.
Gotcha. Probably best to get a ride with you then, and check it out first before I try it. I can meet you at the North County Fair. I took my car to Joshua Tree and did the 18 mile geologic view trail. That was no problem.

28th and 4th both work for me. I probably won't have any toys by then, so if someone will let me shoot theirs (I'll buy the ammo) that'd be sweet. Speaking of ammo... what is a reasonable price for 9mm and 12ga?
Old 03-11-2010, 12:40 PM
Veteran Member

So who are my "yes" answers? I have SPaikmos written down as one but I'm not sure of the other. Couple of you have sent me emails but have are not 100% sure.
Old 03-12-2010, 11:17 AM
Veteran Member

The date has been established. I am heading out the 4th of April. its on a Sunday. Those that can make the trek that day and have not sent me PM, please do so I can get a head count. I will be leaving the North County Fair area around 7-8am and will be returning sometime afer 6pm. It will be a full day trip.
Old 04-05-2010, 6:56 AM
Veteran Member

Sunday was awesome. Went out to imperial to do some shooting with Spaikmos and OptionX3. I'm sure they will chime in too with pictures and stuff. The day went great. Little problem in the begining with a berretta, oops. The earthquake was crazy, we were about 30 miles away from Calexico and could actually see the ground move. We were shooting all kinds of targets with a long range of about 250yds. Iron sighted my SKS, hit the 250yd target once outa 10 shots, guess I need some practice. Hope we can get some more people out there next time we defiantly figured out a setup that works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtykoala View Post
dont have a gun, let crack head break your window and super man drop kick you
Quote:
Originally Posted by compulsivegunbuyer View Post
I grab my zipper and ask if he wants to make a little extra cash
Old 04-05-2010, 3:00 PM

Good times, carne asada lunch was great! Hope to have some different toys next time.
Old 04-06-2010, 3:46 PM

Definitely had a great time! I'll bring a little LESS ammo next time; almost broke my back lugging all those shot shells through the desert! Although, if we do throw clays, I might want to bring more...

It was good meeting you guys, and I'm looking forward to doing it again!

That golf ball attachment was insane. Wish I had video of that.
Old 04-07-2010, 6:33 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPaikmos View Post
Definitely had a great time! I'll bring a little LESS ammo next time; almost broke my back lugging all those shot shells through the desert! Although, if we do throw clays, I might want to bring more...

It was good meeting you guys, and I'm looking forward to doing it again!

That golf ball attachment was insane. Wish I had video of that.
That was pretty epic.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 04-07-2010, 7:58 AM

Oh, I forgot to mention... that carne asada was the bomb!
I've got to hit the gym a couple extra days to work it all off.

Both you guys turned me on to rifles. I think I'm starting to get OptionX3's sickness! Similar to how zombies can infect each other... Calgunners do the same thing, except with guns.
Old 04-07-2010, 8:34 PM

Some serious beating on metal targets; .223 + 7.62x39 + 7.62x54r +.22LR, 9mm?

30-06 made it through!

Our 1 day desert getaway... before 6.9 earthquake shook us up.
Old 04-08-2010, 6:10 AM
Veteran Member

To bad the weld on my target broke...

Quote:
Quote:
Old 04-08-2010, 7:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick1236 View Post
To bad the weld on my target broke...
Well, to be fair, it got shot off by a high power rifle round!

I was thinking, there has to be an easy way to create an automatic target machine. How do people at commercial ranges load targets from 250 yds away?

I think it'd be cool to come up with a remote controlled mechanism that will push out targets or re-hang them so we don't have to hike back and forth so much. If you can machine it, I can do the electronics for it.

Or maybe we can find an area with an infestation of rabbits and squirrels to work as targets. Actually, weren't you guys into RC cars? How about attaching a target to an RC car and driving it around out there?

The other idea I had was using the golf balls like clay pigeons. I saw that in the burro canyon thread.
Old 04-08-2010, 8:33 AM
Veteran Member

Might want to contact Larue Tactical (pretty sure that's the name). They have a few self activating drop targets that will stand up to rifle fire. They also have the kind of targets that will flash a "flag" when the target is hit. They are a tad expensive, but can put up with being hit all day by rifle fire. They are the type of targets you might see at Mystery Mountain or the Rocky mountain 3-gun matches.