Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns > Handguns Gallery
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Handguns Gallery Post your pictures of your favorite sidearm here.

Old 01-18-2014, 7:46 PM

Default Just bought a handgun PPT, do I have to wait 30 days?

Hello to all, I just bought a handgun from a private party and know would like to buy a new handgun. Do I have to wait 30 days, or are PPT's exempt?

Sorry but it has been a while.

Thanks Matt
Old 01-18-2014, 7:57 PM

you're good to go. 30 days only applies to new handguns.
Old 01-20-2014, 5:26 PM

OK, Thanks so much.
Old 01-20-2014, 5:31 PM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneaudiopro View Post
you're good to go. 30 days only applies to new handguns.
the 30-day rule applies to all handguns, new and used. example, I can't DROS two used police-trade-in Glocks from the dealer at the same time. must wait 30-days for the second one. however, there is an exemption for PPT transfers (and cosignments are usually DROSed as PPT so they would be exempt as well) unless the DROSes happened in the city of LA. LA has its own 30-day rule and PPTs are NOT exempt from it. And CADOJ works with LA and will deny DROSes that violate LA's 30-day rule.

FrontSight Training Course certificates available $25, PM for details on them and other options.
No posts of mine are to be construed as legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.
Old 12-09-2015, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ke6guj View Post
the 30-day rule applies to all handguns, new and used. example, I can't DROS two used police-trade-in Glocks from the dealer at the same time. must wait 30-days for the second one. however, there is an exemption for PPT transfers (and cosignments are usually DROSed as PPT so they would be exempt as well) unless the DROSes happened in the city of LA. LA has its own 30-day rule and PPTs are NOT exempt from it. And CADOJ works with LA and will deny DROSes that violate LA's 30-day rule.
Thread is from last year - lets see if Jack is still following

Is the CADOJ/City connection limited to BOTH transactions being within LA? In my case, the first pistol will be PPT at Turners (Reseda). Second pistol is down in Carlsbad.

KG6TY
Old 12-09-2015, 10:53 AM
CGN Contributor

AFAIK, LA city links with CADOJ to check to see if any firearms were DROSed to bhe buyer within 30-days and to deny the second DROS.

IIRC, this would apply if the first DROS was in LA-city or not. It is on the second DROS when LA would try to stop it. but I think that DOJ would only stop the second DROS when it was in the city of LA.

so, for your example, it should be OK. you have complied with LA's law when you bought the first gun. LA's law about not buying a second handgun within 30-days should not apply.

but since I do not live in/near LA, actually DROSing something in LA has never come up so I don't know all the details about how strict they are when dealing with "split" purchases like that within a 30-day period.

FrontSight Training Course certificates available $25, PM for details on them and other options.
No posts of mine are to be construed as legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.
Old 12-09-2015, 10:58 AM

Thanks Jack - I was about to send you a message. I'll give it a shot. Worst case, I'll have made the flight from TOA to CRQ for nothing - but as I need the practice I'm going anyway

Jeff