Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Shotgun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Shotgun discussions Trap, Hunting, Defense and more. A place for enthusiasts to discuss the shotgun.

Old 02-01-2006, 8:06 PM

Default Interstate Arms Model 99 1887 Coach Shotgun

I bought one of these at Big 5 quite awhile ago, but never took it to the range. When I dry fired it a couple times just to make sure the action worked, I noticed that the external hammers don't strike the firing pin. By the time I noticed this (more than 30 days after I took possession), Big 5 wouldn't take it back, and Interstate won't give any tech advice (they are just importers; the shotgun is Norinco).

I don't even know if this is a flaw -- if I actually loaded it with the three inch shotgun shells, would that change anything?

I thought about just taking it to the range, loading some three inch shells, cock the hammer and squeeze and see if anything comes out the barrell, but I have well ingrained habit of not firing a malfunctioning firearm no matter what.

Anyone know anything about external hammer shotguns, especially this variety, and whether the hammer is supposed to hit the pin when dry firing?

Any help appreciated.
Old 02-01-2006, 8:48 PM
Veteran Member

Make sure the firearm is unloaded.

Get a piece of paper, put it between the firing pin and external hammer, cock the hammer.

You will see the imprint on the paper. The action is just faster than your eyes. Hope this helps.

Did I tell you to make sure that the firearm is unloaded? If you want to sell that defective shotty, give me a holler.

You lasted 30 days without trying your new FA?

vega

Make sure it's unloaded!
Old 02-01-2006, 10:32 PM

> You lasted 30 days without trying your new FA?

Believe it or not, I lasted 3 months before I went to the range.
Granted it was wet the whole time (and I don't like indoor), but still.
Old 02-02-2006, 2:26 AM
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Most likely they are rebounding hammers and are just doing what they are supposed to faster than you can see them. Make sure the gun is unloaded. Cock one of the hammers. With your thumb holding the hammer back pull the trigger and hold it back. Let the hammer down slowly and with the trigger still held back see if you can push the hammer all the way forward to contact the firing pin. If it will do this release the trigger and slowly allow the hammer to come back to it's reasting position. You should hear a click as the internal catch engages. If this happens, you should not be able to push the hammer forward without holding the trigger back. Do the paper trick and dryfire each barrel once. You should see either an imprint or a hole if everything is working properly. Alternatively, you can drop a 1/2 inch dowel (at least a couple of inches longer than the barrels) down the unloaded barrels (one at a time) and with the gun pointed directly upward pull the trigger. You should see the dowel bounce in a pronounced manner. Withdraw the dowel and examine the end for a firing pin mark. If these tests fail then you should package your gun securely and call Interstate Arms for a return authorization number and send it back for warranty repairs.
Old 02-02-2006, 2:30 AM

If the gun passes these tests you may want to test it with something a little gentler than 3 inch shells. AA Trap loads come to mind. I have a Rossi SxS 12 ga Coach gun and it was literally bruising with 3 inch magnums before the recoil pad went on it.
Old 02-02-2006, 6:18 PM

Default Thanks

Vega, Big Rich -- thanks! This forum is worth its weight in Remingtons.

Question: what is "AA" load? I shoot usually shoot trap loads -- I shoot clays at Angeles with my other 5 shotguns. I don't know that term.

(I don't know much about guns other than how to shoot them, clean them and store them).
Old 02-02-2006, 7:00 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordecai
Question: what is "AA" load?
AA's are winchester's target loads. They come in the black and red boxes. For cowboy games a lot of people use the AA feather weight loads.
Old 02-03-2006, 5:17 PM

Default AA Loads

got it, thanks, and just to be clear, I tried both techniques, and it turns out my shotgun is working fine. Man, I was really thick headed there.

So what does "AA" stand for, is it an acronym, or just an arbitrary reference to very light load (as in the AA battery denoting a certain size)?

Last question for now, if you generous folks don't mind. The shotgun says "3 inch shells". In my other shotguns, I use 2 3/4 inch shells. Why would the length of the shell matter. Isn't the diameter the main thing (I assume the 12 in 12 gauge refer to diameter, not length).

I hope you'll excuse these simplistic questions.
Old 02-03-2006, 9:25 PM

I never bothered to find out what AA stands for. It was always synonymous with Winchester trap loads. Re:Thick-headedness, think of how you were willing to ask and learn as opposed to so many morons who just go out and blow themselves and others up through ignorance. Give yourself some credit.

Re: 3" shells, this just tells you that the longest shells you can safely use in your shotgun are 3 inchers. 12 gauge shells come in 1 3/4 (Aguila minishells), 2 1/2 (an old standard), 2 3/4 (the current standard), 3 and 3 1/2 inch length. If you fired 3 1/2" shells in your 3" chambers you would have a shell that could not open up completely. This would create a much higher than normal chamber pressures. It would possibly be a catastrophic failure with the potential for serious bodily injury. You can use 3" and anything shorter in complete safety. Be careful that you only have 12 ga. shells with you when shooting your 12 ga. shotgun. A 20 ga. shell will drop down past the chamber and stop in the barrel. If you were not paying attention you could load a 12 ga behind it and blow your shotgun up, possibly your hands or face along with it.
Old 02-13-2006, 9:53 PM

Default again, thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRich
I never bothered to find out what AA stands for. It was always synonymous with Winchester trap loads. Re:Thick-headedness, think of how you were willing to ask and learn as opposed to so many morons who just go out and blow themselves and others up through ignorance. Give yourself some credit.

Re: 3" shells, this just tells you that the longest shells you can safely use in your shotgun are 3 inchers. 12 gauge shells come in 1 3/4 (Aguila minishells), 2 1/2 (an old standard), 2 3/4 (the current standard), 3 and 3 1/2 inch length. If you fired 3 1/2" shells in your 3" chambers you would have a shell that could not open up completely. This would create a much higher than normal chamber pressures. It would possibly be a catastrophic failure with the potential for serious bodily injury. You can use 3" and anything shorter in complete safety. Be careful that you only have 12 ga. shells with you when shooting your 12 ga. shotgun. A 20 ga. shell will drop down past the chamber and stop in the barrel. If you were not paying attention you could load a 12 ga behind it and blow your shotgun up, possibly your hands or face along with it.
thanks: so i can use the 2 3/4 inch. You are a fine teacher (I teach as well, Theology, and I really like your signature!)
Old 04-15-2009, 1:17 PM

Default Proud Owner

I'm a proud owner of my Interstate Arms model 99 1887 Coach Shotgun. I bought it last week at Big 5 and fired it for the first time yesterday. It works perfectly! The hammers work without a fault.
Old 04-15-2009, 1:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunLover99 View Post
I'm a proud owner of my Interstate Arms model 99 1887 Coach Shotgun. I bought it last week at Big 5 and fired it for the first time yesterday. It works perfectly! The hammers work without a fault.
That thing is awesome -- I've killed about 300-400 clays with mine now, just so much fun. Surprisingly, even without a recoil pad, mine is a lot easier on my shoulder and face than my IAC 982 pump. It's my favorite to shoot clays with right now.
Old 04-28-2009, 10:30 PM

Default Joined the club...

I just purchased mine today after holding one last Saturday. Like the weight and the clean look of the wooden stock vs the checkered look of the Century Arms coach with sling swivels. Waiting my 10 days.....
Old 04-29-2009, 7:46 AM
Banned

The hammers are rebounding on the IAC 1887. Also, don't dry-fire that shotgun, the firing pins can break. Get a pair of 12ga snap-caps for it if you want to do that. The sear blocks the hammers from being able to go forward if the trigger isn't pulled, if you pull the triggers back and push the hammers forward you'll see that they do go forward and rebound back.
Old 04-29-2009, 8:20 PM

What is the price of these at Big 5?

I have not seen one on ad lately.

I am considering getting one.

Last edited by cal_ar_shooter; 05-09-2009 at 7:27 AM..
Old 04-30-2009, 8:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal_ar_shooter View Post
What is the price of these at Big 5?

I have not seen one on add lately.

I am considering getting one.

Big 5 was selling them for $200 a few wks ago (according to some CG posts back then).
Old 04-30-2009, 8:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deez View Post
Big 5 was selling them for $200 a few wks ago (according to some CG posts back then).
Thank you,

I will have to keep an eye out for one at that price....
Old 09-04-2012, 12:25 PM

i do realize this is an old post, but felt compelled to throw my 2 cents in. those of you looking for a quality reproduction coach gun, look for the rossi/interarms "overland". true working hammers and pins,ect also and doesnt have one of those ugly tang safeties on it. nowadays if you find one they will be pricey though, they are the go to favorite for CAS guys, and ive seen them sell used in alot of areas for $600+