Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 03-02-2010, 6:51 PM

Default SF Bay Area Springfield EMP owners?

This gun interests me and I'm considering a purchase.

Anybody in the Bay Area own one? Looking for a .40 if possible, and close to Mountain View would be a plus. Love to see it and/or try it, will buy ammo for your time... ;-)

Likes, dislikes? I've got smallish hands, and my 1911 is a nice fit. Thinking this might be a good choice. Thanks
Old 03-02-2010, 8:32 PM

The emp 40 is not CA approved, just the 9mm . I also wanted the EMP. I just could not see spending 1,000 - 1,300 for a 9mm so I bought a kimber ultra carry for 750 . If you are intrested in a 1911 sub compact 9mm, check out the para ordnence warthog in 9mm sweet little gun for a few hundred $,s cheaper. Just a thought.
Old 03-02-2010, 11:15 PM
Calguns Addict

here's a recent range report i did on my 9mm EMP...in the thread are links to a detailed photo description in the Gallery section

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=274847

i handled the .40 EMP at the SHOT Show and the first thing that struck me was how much heavier it was...the .40 models have a steel frame.

the EMP is between the Springfield TRP ($1600+) and Professional ($2500+)in build quality and i consider it a good value for the price. unless you're feeling lucky, i'd personally avoid the Para Ord pistols
Old 03-02-2010, 11:58 PM
CGN Contributor

After I got hold a 9mm and .45 EMP I really wanted a .40. After I held the .40 I changed my mind. I wanted a small 1911 style for concealed carry but the the .40 EMP is HEAVY. It has a steel frame instead of the alloy from of the 9mm and .45. So for now I will stay with my Kel Tecs and Sigs for CC and maybe pick up a SA Micro .45.

Mike's Custom Firearms 661-834-7836
http://mikescustomfirearms.com/
Old 03-03-2010, 12:12 AM

Cool, thanks for the tips. Maybe I'll be able to handle both side by side on the next out of state trip. I saw the other thread and it seems like a great gun. Maybe I'll reconsider the 9mm. .40 just seems like such a logical choice, but if it's a lot heavier, that's a drawback.
Old 03-03-2010, 12:32 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Maybe I'll reconsider the 9mm. .40 just seems like such a logical choice, but if it's a lot heavier, that's a drawback.
the whole point of the EMP is small and light, plus the added reliability of being a 1911 "short action"...the .40 defeats the original intent. that's one of the reasons they never introduced the EMP chambered in .45GAP.

the difference felt larger than that between the Sig 226 and the 226ST

Quote:
So for now I will stay with my Kel Tecs and Sigs for CC and maybe pick up a SA Micro .45.
if you decide to go that way, bear in mine that the Micro .45ACP has inherent timing issues that affect reliabilty...as does any .45ACP 1911 platform with a barrel/slide less than 4.25"

Last edited by 9mmepiphany; 03-03-2010 at 12:34 AM..
Old 03-03-2010, 8:11 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Tabors has the 9mm and SJGE has a used one. I have one, great fit and finish. Very reliable once I got a firing spring/pin issue corrected.

My pet peeve is that these shorter barreled alloy 1911s don't have a Detonics sized grip, that is, shorter than the Officers Model type on Colt, Kimber & Para. I know we loose rounds doing it, but a shorter grip would still carry 6 in 45 ACP and 7 or 8 in 9mm.

Being that it's a 9, the EMP has very little recoil and the downsized grip and back end of the slide area is noticeable. I have failrly large hands and the EMP from the trigger guard on back gets pretty much swallowed up.

FYI - a friend has an EMP in 40, much heavier than the 9 version. The steel frame adds quite a bit.
Old 03-03-2010, 8:30 AM

I've been gradually trying different pistols, and some that I love just don't fit my hand very well. 226, Hi-Power, Beretta, a couple others. Really a shame because they are all so nice. But it comes down to small hands and being able to reach the levers...
On paper, the EMP .40 seems perfect. But I hope to find one to try out first. Maybe I'll pop into Tabors. They've got my 1911 in for a sight install, and it's always great to see the dog. ;-)
Old 03-03-2010, 9:19 AM
Vietnam Vet
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

The 40cal EMP is about 7oz heavier than the 9mm. The added weight of the SS frame helps to absorb the added recoil of the 40cal round.

I have both and notice little difference in recoil between the two. I was sold on the EMP by two factors, one being the extreme accuracy of the pistol and second, it just fit my hand more perfect than any other gun I have ever held.

My 9mm has been my primary carry gun for over three years now. I had some initial feeding problems with HP ammo but a trip back to Springfield corrected any and all problems. I have since put more than 800 rounds down range (all HP) without a single failure.

I also have a Sig 239 SAS that I carry ocassionally. The EMP is my pistol of choice..
Old 03-03-2010, 10:49 AM
CGN Contributor

In talking to Springfiled I was told that the .40 EMP needed the steel frame due to cracking in the alloy frame. I was really looking forward to the .40 EMP but at 33oz it is heavier then my Sig 229. The 9mm is 26 oz with alloy. The extra weight of the .40 makes it heavy in my book. I have not shot a .40 but I have sold a couple. I would rather have the .45 Micro with less weight. Even the 9mm with self defense ammo would be better to me.

I have a Sig 1911 Compact RCS that is (not on the approved list) less weight then the EMP .40 and it shoots like a dream... or Like a Sig.

Mike's Custom Firearms 661-834-7836
http://mikescustomfirearms.com/
Old 03-03-2010, 2:52 PM

Tpuig, I am near Berkeley and I have 2 EMPs. PM me if you wwant to come out and try them some time. Cheers!
Old 03-03-2010, 3:02 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpuig View Post
I've been gradually trying different pistols, and some that I love just don't fit my hand very well. 226, Hi-Power, Beretta, a couple others. Really a shame because they are all so nice. But it comes down to small hands and being able to reach the levers...
On paper, the EMP .40 seems perfect. But I hope to find one to try out first. Maybe I'll pop into Tabors. They've got my 1911 in for a sight install, and it's always great to see the dog. ;-)
Careful - new dog. He's a bit skittish but getting better, isn't quite ready to put the front paws on the counter top and sniff away. You don't want to start referring to the middle one as your "trigger finger".