Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Survival and Preparations
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Survival and Preparations Long and short term survival and 'prepping'.

Old 11-18-2012, 1:56 PM
Dirt Farmer
CGN Contributor

I have a very small circle of friends. 3-4 at the most. 3 are likely better prepared than I am, and the 4th would be welcome if he shows up because he is another MacGuyver.

As far as family, I was pretty much disowned years ago. They are largely sheep who will depend on a 911 response. If any of them showed up at my gate, their acceptance would be based on what they could contribute.

I am set up to support 3-5 people for a reasonable time. Any more than that better be bringing their own subsistence or some damned good skills.
Old 11-18-2012, 7:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinB View Post
Nobody can survive on their own. The people that are starving will take it from you. You are not the only people with firearms.

You should surround yourself with people with like interests and goals. Without a solid group a lone person will perish.
Agreed, but as you say you should surround yourself with "like minded" individuals, not ones that expect that you will do all the prep and they just need to show up....unless your prep plan is for 20, then by all means...

Old 11-19-2012, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVRider View Post
What are you willing to sacrifice on behalf of others?
All that I am. Isn't that what friendship is all about? If no one else helps, who will? The thugs down the road robbing, raping, & killing people? What do you do with the friends that did prep and got all their stash and firearms destroyed in a fire, or swept away by flood?

I understand your logic & where you're coming from. But I know my limitations as a human being. I need others to pitch in and help. I would not be able to perform a surgery on myself if I got shot. I can't even do CPR on myself. I don't know how to properly skin a game, or prep the meat. Let alone help a pregnant mother give birth to a child. I'm kind of rusty when it comes to putting a tourniquet on a broken arm, or leg. I think I can stay awake for 48-72 hours. But after that, I know I'll dose off.

I don't know how it will all unfold when a disaster does hit. Wish I had a crystal ball to tell you. I don't even know if I'm still going to be alive when it does occur. My convictions tells me to help. And if I starve to death doing so, then that's my decision. I'll die knowing I gave it everything I got.
Old 11-19-2012, 7:24 AM

SVRider, I have a fairly large and very close family. We are bound by family and religious beliefs to a certain degree. We also have a very strong sense of community and know how to work towards a common goal, whatever that goal may be.

Personally I do not like the Prepper label. Being self sufficient is just who we are and choose to run our lives. Belonging to something greater than yourself is very reassuring.

Stand alone and you will fall alone. Everything else is supposition.
Old 11-19-2012, 7:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrgcruizer View Post
All that I am.
Easier decision if I was alone. Not so easy to make on behalf of my wife and children. They are the ones I am working for moreso than me. They are my priority. If my decisions jeapordize their well being and safety, then not so simple.

Let's all just hope this all stays hypothetical and we never need to find out in reality.
Old 11-19-2012, 7:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinB View Post
SVRider, I have a fairly large and very close family. We are bound by family and religious beliefs to a certain degree. We also have a very strong sense of community and know how to work towards a common goal, whatever that goal may be.

Personally I do not like the Prepper label. Being self sufficient is just who we are and choose to run our lives. Belonging to something greater than yourself is very reassuring.

Stand alone and you will fall alone. Everything else is supposition.
Agreed. Self sufficiency it seems is a dying belief in these "modern times".

If all work together, then all the better. Group self sufficiency would be ideal.
Old 11-19-2012, 7:39 AM

This thread brings up the issue of how "in general", preppers are loners. If those people are unwilling to share to any degree, fair enough, but no one can stay awake forever. That loner may have lots of supplies but it'll do him little good after he's so exhausted he can't defend it. When he goes to the front window to see who's in the front yard, he's blind to everything behind him. Now if he had been a group of perhaps 3-4, they could have rotating guard duty and defend in multiple directions.

I get all the points raised above but I think single preppers dilude themselves on the realities of their survival. Over and over we see that a single person is ineffective against a group, but the dream of being Rambo runs strong...

Last edited by kb58; 11-19-2012 at 7:44 AM..
Old 11-19-2012, 9:19 AM

As a typically generous, Christian man, there is no way I could turn away a good friend or family member from my door, even if they showed up with nothing, so that is why I am trying very hard lately to get them to prepare for themselves.

For this reason I started up a Facebook group page for friends/family that I am trying to educate them on preparedness and help them to prepare for themselves. It's definitely not working on all of them, but some are starting to wake up and get prepared.

Using Sandy as an example of what can happen to those that don't has helped a little. People have short memories, and forget what kinds of hells disasters like the Chile earthquake, Katrina, Sandy, etc, unearth. I think as preppers it's our jobs to remind those we love about the fragility of civilized society, and the reality of what government "help" actually looks like.

Because let's be 100% honest here, what kind of cold hearted bastard could look his mom or brother or best friend in the eye and tell them to leave, then watch them suffer and possibly die. You may talk tough here, but what are you really going to do when they are at your door? If you're not helping those you love prepare, you may end up dooming your own family as well.
Old 11-19-2012, 9:25 PM

I use to keep my stuff stacked up on a shelf in the garage and every time I had friends and family over they would comment on my stash. They would always say that they were coming over if something ever happened, I would reply with an evil smile " don't come unannounced because you might get shot". They usually stop talking about it after that. Now I just keep it all locked up in a big wall locker so it's out of sight. But when it comes down to it I won't be able to turn away friends or family. I got my brother in to guns and then we got my dad a shotgun, now I just got to get them prepping.
Old 12-13-2012, 11:02 PM

I agree with you on that. It is their responsibility to take care of themselves. If they want to come to your house, they should bring their own supplies. You can always give them a list of what they need. You have to take care of your family first.
Old 12-31-2012, 5:52 PM

1) People should form groups, but they must group with a. intelligent/wise people with foresight who are willing to invest in their future safety and survival NOT just flunky idiot friends who mooch, leech and are NOT all around survival material. Survival calls for tough choices and sometimes requires telling people you know: "I warned you, you spent your time and money on stupid crap and know you gotta live with the consequences." You see, consequences are the other side of the coin that say 'I'm not your daddy or mommy so take responsibility for your own mess like a grownup.' True, I might change my mind depending on the situation and needs but the person I will likely turn away will be the one who did zero prep and had the most money or even some money to do some prepping.

2) Friends that come empty handed and don't know how to shoot and move and NOT shoot friendlies accidentally and who do NOT panic when they hear gunshots. I would rather count on or look for like-minded people than give an idiot a gun and expect them to watch my six.

3) All these idiots who say, "I'm going to YOUR place [and eat your food, use all your supplies, etc.] are having YOUR cake and eating it too! a. they get to mock you behind your back (if they do) but then want to cash in on YOUR preps, your hard work and investment.

4.) By NOT prepping, they tell themselves, "I am not a fool like such and such person." But in a way they hedge their bets and kiss your behind by admitting to you that YOUR supplies, hard work etc may come in handy so YOU are wise for preparing for your family -and for being foolishly overly generous mommies and daddies to these adult-sized children!!

5.) Friends are not automatically survival material. Sure you can probably trust them but do they KNOW how to shoot? If they want to bail out they may sneak off at night with your guns, ammo, food and gear while you are asleep? Maybe their whole goal was to take some of your stash and bail out for their own survival plan-emergencies reveal the extent to which people may disappoint and betray you-it's the crucible. Seriously, people need to be committed to their own survival and forge this into group-survival far in advance. Mooches are just that, and you are risking them being a liability.

Last edited by AKfan; 12-31-2012 at 5:55 PM..