Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Discussion General discussion regarding CCW/LTC in California

Old 02-26-2010, 5:40 PM

Default CCW in San Luis Obispo County

Hi guys,

I stopped into a one of the gun stores today here in San Luis Obispo County and during my conversation with the guy that runs the store I asked about getting a CCW here in SLO county. He said good luck that the county has a CCW permit limit and as of right now they are already over that limit. I feel that I have good cause but do not want to go through the CCW process and end up just loosing my money I would have paid for all the fees. Any help or info on CCW permits in San Luis Obispo county would be appreciated.

Thanks guys

Old 02-28-2010, 8:38 AM

I would contact the sheriffs dept and find out. Are you applying with the county or one of the city depts? I have never heard of any "limit" on the number of ccws.
Old 02-28-2010, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxwell663 View Post
Hi guys,

I stopped into a one of the gun stores today here in San Luis Obispo County and during my conversation with the guy that runs the store I asked about getting a CCW here in SLO county. He said good luck that the county has a CCW permit limit and as of right now they are already over that limit. I feel that I have good cause but do not want to go through the CCW process and end up just loosing my money I would have paid for all the fees. Any help or info on CCW permits in San Luis Obispo county would be appreciated.

Thanks guys
Like asking a tire store about the price of a vehicle at the dealer. Go to the dealer!

Write the Sheriff a letter asking for a copy of the CCW Policy and the DOJ Application. No phone calls and no visits. If your PD issues, write them a letter asking for the same thing. You may have the best GC on God's green Earth and be denied because of simple mistakes.

As to quotas or limits, Google United States Constitution, 14th Amendment and read it. You want accurate information, you go to the source.

By the way, they do limit the number of red haired Catholics they issue to. (Reservation sarcasm)

Billy Jack

www.californiaconcealedcarry.com
www.clueseau.com
Old 02-28-2010, 10:33 AM

Heres a link for the SLO Sheriff CCW:

http://www.slosheriff.org/_FAQ/documents/CCW_Internet.

Red Nose Cardholder #1
Old 02-28-2010, 12:22 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Jack View Post
Like asking a tire store about the price of a vehicle at the dealer. Go to the dealer!

Write the Sheriff a letter asking for a copy of the CCW Policy and the DOJ Application. No phone calls and no visits. If your PD issues, write them a letter asking for the same thing. You may have the best GC on God's green Earth and be denied because of simple mistakes.

As to quotas or limits, Google United States Constitution, 14th Amendment and read it. You want accurate information, you go to the source.

By the way, they do limit the number of red haired Catholics they issue to. (Reservation sarcasm)

Billy Jack

www.clueseau.com

Hey Guy's
Thank you for all the replies. I think I will write the letter to SLOSD and request a copy of the CCW Policy and the DOJ Application. I will keep you in the loop on everything.

Billy Jack
Looks like I have one point in my favor since I'm not a red haired Catholic. LoL...

Old 03-02-2010, 1:54 PM

The link does not appear to work. I believe there should be .pdf at the end. To navigate to the page/document go to FAQ then to Records and warrants, then it is half way down. try this: http://www.slosheriff.org/_FAQ/docum...W_Internet.pdf

Last edited by Moto4Fun; 03-02-2010 at 1:58 PM..
Old 03-02-2010, 2:44 PM

The SLO policy statement has an interesting paragraph. I don't recall reading this in other situations regarding application for CCW:

Convincing evidence of a clear and present danger to life or of great bodily harm to the applicant, spouse, co-habitant, domestic partner, or dependent child which cannot be adequately dealt with by existing law enforcement resources; and which danger cannot be reasonably avoided by alternative measures; and which danger would be significantly mitigated by the applicant's carrying of a concealed weapon.

So if me or my family is not currently in life threatening danger; no chance?
Old 03-02-2010, 9:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto4Fun View Post
The SLO policy statement has an interesting paragraph. I don't recall reading this in other situations regarding application for CCW:

Convincing evidence of a clear and present danger to life or of great bodily harm to the applicant, spouse, co-habitant, domestic partner, or dependent child which cannot be adequately dealt with by existing law enforcement resources; and which danger cannot be reasonably avoided by alternative measures; and which danger would be significantly mitigated by the applicant's carrying of a concealed weapon.

So if me or my family is not currently in life threatening danger; no chance?
This is the wording from the 1974 AG Opinion on Good Cause. Read it again, but slower. It does not necessarily mean the danger is right now, just that it exists. If you do not have a 'situation' or employment related GC you are probably going to be denied. 'Good Cause' means just that.

Billy Jack

Old 03-03-2010, 12:11 PM

Does that mean that this is common requirement in all counties in CA or is it a federal opinion? I am not familiar with "1974 AG Opinion".

My good cause would be related to the properties I own and manage. While I believe the cause is justifiable, "clear and present danger to life or great bodily harm" would be a potential concern more than a "clear and present" issue.
Old 03-03-2010, 3:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto4Fun View Post
Does that mean that this is common requirement in all counties in CA or is it a federal opinion? I am not familiar with "1974 AG Opinion".

My good cause would be related to the properties I own and manage. While I believe the cause is justifiable, "clear and present danger to life or great bodily harm" would be a potential concern more than a "clear and present" issue.
Each Sheriff and Chief are allowed their own interpretation or standard of GC. If they do not state what it is they usually fall back on the AG Opinion on the definition of GC. That is what they are quoting. We have the entire opinion on our site.

If you desire to increase your chances of issuance you will want your Braves in a row and do your homework. I tell every applicant we work with to treat the process like you were applying for a Driver License. You study and do homework first. Then less likely to fall on own knife.

Billy Jack

Last edited by Billy Jack; 03-03-2010 at 3:43 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 03-05-2010, 12:51 PM

I spoke with an employee at a local establishment yesterday that was very optimistic. He encouraged me to apply stating that given a reasonable cause, the current Sheriff would be likely to approve. This is a fresh attitude to hear.
Old 04-10-2010, 1:42 PM

Any updates? I just sent off a CCW related email to Ian Parkinson. I will post what he replies.

Red Nose Cardholder #1
Old 04-12-2010, 12:05 PM

I had an email exchange with Ian Parkinson, candidate for SLO Sheriff. He said in his email he believes in a persons right to defend themselves and their family. He stated he would personally sign all rejection letters. He also said he would be open to a liberal interpretation of reasons for issuance. He sounds like a fair guy. If I can find out more from the other candidates I will post them here.

Red Nose Cardholder #1

Last edited by galekowitz; 04-12-2010 at 12:07 PM.. Reason: Spelling.
Old 06-08-2010, 5:03 PM

Joe Cortez believes in self defence and LE not always getting there in time. (Phone conversation June 6th).
Mark Adams listed CCW as a priority on this website:
http://www.smartvoter.org/2010/06/08.../vote/adams_m/
This second link is for his position on CCW.
http://www.smartvoter.org/2010/06/08..._m/paper1.html
Old 06-08-2010, 5:06 PM
Veteran Member

Alot of the SLO county sherrifs are saying that they would issue more CCW's. idk how many of them are full of it, but from what I've read in the central coast chapter of calguns at least one member sat down with Lenthall and said it seems likely he could increase the rate of CCW's. I'm optimistic. The guys at range masters in santa maria confirmed this when I was home a few weeks ago as well.
Old 06-08-2010, 10:23 PM
Calguns Addict

Folks,

Go ahead and apply to SLO. If anyone who is in this thread actually applied, do they take the fee only after they state that your good cause is acceptable or no?
Old 02-10-2013, 12:28 PM

Any updates? I'm in SLO and am interested in applying, but would have a more liberal justification (not directly employment related, just to defend myself)
Old 02-10-2013, 4:22 PM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Peterson View Post
Folks,

Go ahead and apply to SLO. If anyone who is in this thread actually applied, do they take the fee only after they state that your good cause is acceptable or no?
I can only speak for myself......

Only after you are approved you......, take in your LTC instruction cert (instructors on their list only), get printed and photographed, they check out your handgun serial numbers, have an informal meeting with the undersheriff, then pay all fees. Less than a month start to finish when I was approved. Everyone was friendly and professional.
Old 02-10-2013, 4:25 PM
In Memoriam

dang, I thought TBJ was back!
Old 02-25-2013, 3:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack L View Post
I can only speak for myself......

Only after you are approved you......, take in your LTC instruction cert (instructors on their list only), get printed and photographed, they check out your handgun serial numbers, have an informal meeting with the undersheriff, then pay all fees. Less than a month start to finish when I was approved. Everyone was friendly and professional.
How recent was this? I want to get my permit but I don't want to waste the time and money if I'm going to get rejected. And what did you put down as your GC? I'm curious as to what Parkinson considers good cause.
Old 02-26-2013, 8:34 AM

This is the way it's always been, even with the last sheriff who served 13 years.

Pick up your application packet, fill it out, turn it in

They will notify you if you are approved or not

Only then does the cost of the class and county fees come into play.
Old 02-26-2013, 9:13 AM

Thanks Hopalong. It appears I was given bad information a few years ago which is why I never applied. I guess its time to go to the sheriffs office.
Old 02-26-2013, 2:58 PM

There is one scenario to be aware of.

If you do all the above, get approved, pay your fees for the class and the county

And for some reason you don't pass the background check

You would not get a refund
Old 03-03-2013, 8:46 AM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopalong View Post
There is one scenario to be aware of.

If you do all the above, get approved, pay your fees for the class and the county

And for some reason you don't pass the background check

You would not get a refund

Yes, that is correct. Make sure you are ok to go with the DOJ. You can get checked out first if you are not sure. I think the cost is $25 and there is a form to send, maybe fingerprints too. I did this way back through a LiveScan just for kicks. Check that out online or ask around if you are unsure.

Anyway, I just finished my renewal. It was less work than the initial license. The cost is $100 for the class I took and $77 for the SLOSO. As far as GC goes, I can’t speak for the sheriff. I only know what applied to me and a few of my friends, none by the way live in a city limits.

I found by asking around, when writing your GC, show some respect for the sheriff and flesh out your GC intelligently. It makes a difference in this county.. It may be the sheriff thinks that shows maturity and responsibility. If you just bust in demanding your rights, I think you may not get far.

Last edited by Jack L; 03-03-2013 at 8:50 AM..