Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > MARKETPLACE > Commercial Sales
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Commercial Sales For the Commercial sales of Firearms and Accessories. Read the rules before posting.

Old 02-17-2010, 6:44 PM

Default Golden State Tactical

+1 for the super service Rob gives here at http://www.goldenstatetactical.com/ he has done well for me. River City Gun Exchange and the below customer service they give are out. RCGE has been going down hill for the last eight years and although they don't seem to care about customer service they have lost me as a customer. How have your experiences been?

NRA MEMBER

Last edited by My-AK47; 02-17-2010 at 6:57 PM..
Old 02-17-2010, 7:27 PM

Are you only comparing customer service?

Cause it doesn't seem to be a fair comparison if your comparing what both ffls offer. Rcge is a full blown gun store with many items in stock where golden state tactical works out of his home and appears to focus more on transfers since his overhead is limited. But if we are comparing customer service, I have never dealt with golden state tactical but have heard great things. I do receive great service from rcge also everytime.
Old 02-17-2010, 7:43 PM

Well to me customer service has alot to do with everything when you are spending big coin... Rob has a great selection and what he doesn't have he will get for you in a day or two. I know people that will not even step foot in RCGE store and thats REAL BAD for buisness. Rob at golden state is more than willing to help you out maybe cuz it's like a small mom & pop feel store where the service is better over the big guys. I believe in supporting my local buisness and golden state tactical has mine. Seems he appreciates it more anyway

NRA MEMBER
Old 02-17-2010, 8:28 PM
Veteran Member

Honestly, its too crowded in RCGE, if less people want to shop there which means more space for me, Im good.
Old 02-17-2010, 8:45 PM

I have little or no use for RCGE. I bought my first rifle in twenty years from them in the late 1980's and had what I felt was bad service everytime I walked in there after that. I stayed out of the store for almost ten years and when I went back it was like nothing changed. I stayed out again and people encouraged me to go back a year ago. The last time they sold me mag rebuild kits missing parts I needed. They refused to supply the parts when I went back and I got the distinct impression the guy thought it was funny and the joke was on me. I send people to the other shops and if they are going to the coast I send them to City Arms in Pacifica. RCGE might have a large selection of guns but I'll spend my money elsewhere where someone at least takes the time to answer my questions and appreciate the money I spend and worked hard to get.

Last edited by warbird; 02-17-2010 at 8:49 PM..
Old 02-17-2010, 9:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warbird View Post
I have little or no use for RCGE. I bought my first rifle in twenty years from them in the late 1980's and had what I felt was bad service everytime I walked in there after that. I stayed out of the store for almost ten years and when I went back it was like nothing changed. I stayed out again and people encouraged me to go back a year ago. The last time they sold me mag rebuild kits missing parts I needed. They refused to supply the parts when I went back and I got the distinct impression the guy thought it was funny and the joke was on me. I send people to the other shops and if they are going to the coast I send them to City Arms in Pacifica. RCGE might have a large selection of guns but I'll spend my money elsewhere where someone at least takes the time to answer my questions and appreciate the money I spend and worked hard to get.
Believe me I feel your frustration... I tried to do a few transfers in there and they treated me like I was a crimianal... B.S. I am to old for this and my money is better spent somewhere else. Don (the owner) at RCGE needs to get a clue and treat people like they should be treated in a proffesional way. I work for a multi-billion dollar company and know how important customer service and the word of mouth is.... We didn't get to where we are because of anything less

NRA MEMBER

Last edited by My-AK47; 02-17-2010 at 9:30 PM..
Old 02-17-2010, 9:53 PM

I haven't dealt with RCGE so I can't comment, but Golden State Tactical compared to the LGSs in the San Jose Area is by far the BEST.
He provides top notch service and education for people like me who don't know a lot about rifles yet.
He even went as far to where I left and forgot a part in his garage and he offered to ship it free so I don't have to drive back....
Old 02-17-2010, 10:11 PM

Ive bought many things at RCGE. Good prices and selection IMO. Never really had any problems there so i guess YMMV. But at times they get very busy and crowded and that may affect customer service.
Old 02-17-2010, 10:16 PM

I am seriously going to have to check Golden State Tactical out so I can get on his bandwagon if he is as good as everyone indicates. Good stores are like good gold mines. Everyone keeps them a secret so they can enjoy them. But bad stores raise a stink no one can ignore. Customer relations will make or break you sooner or later. Hopefully if all of you send Rob a lot of business he will not change as he grows. In today's tough economy we need to make sure the good guys survive. there is a new store opening in Tracy for those of you living in that area. Grand opening in a week or so and may be open this weekend unofficially. New store for Tracy.
Old 02-17-2010, 10:45 PM
Veteran Member

If you guys want talk about bad service with an attitude, check out Canyon Sport in Martinez. RCGE is good for me, and I drive from SF to shop there.

These guys seems to like them as well, but if you guys don't, that's cool. http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=271102
Old 02-17-2010, 11:21 PM
Veteran Member

Golden State is great! River City on the other hand SUCKS. I never buy anything from them because I always feel as if I'm being hurried along and/or unwanted.
Old 02-18-2010, 9:38 AM

Another thumbs up from Rob from GST. I've talked to him a few times on the phone and while I haven't done any business with him yet, he was going to be my next go-to guy. He spend 30+ mins on the phone with me discussing the in's and out's of the AW reg process last year.

This is a trend I'm noticing though.... the bigger the gun store, the crappier the service is.

Recently in an unnamed gun store, I stood for 5 mins, about 3' from the register while 2 employees BS'd and then finally one said "Oh have you been helped?" After collecting my items for pickup, I asked if I could compare the "Omega rail" to the standard M4 handguards. He got them both, I compared them, and then asked if they would be able to get the "AR-15 Lite Rail in 10 inch extended midlength." The guy looked confused, and so I said "the AR-15 Lite rail, it's a quad rail handguard, made by Daniel Defense......" He gets a surprised look and goes "ohh, we don't sell Daniel Defense" As I am holding a FDE Daniel Defense Omega 7 rail...

On my Prior visit there, I asked a different person if they give LEO or Military discounts. The guy says "we do carry the Ruger LCP, but only LE can get that."

Sorry, but if you work in a gun store, you better know more than me about guns and gun parts. That doesn't mean you have to know more about a SPECIFIC part (because I have probably researched the snot out of it) but at LEAST know what products you carry in your store and the pro's and con's of them.
Old 02-18-2010, 10:21 AM
Calguns Addict

I bought one handgun at RCGE about 10 years ago. They were very abrupt with me - borderline rude. I was treated as if I was bothering them. I never went back. I use GST for pretty much everything now. Rob is a great guy. Unfortunately for me, everyone is finding out about GST. My secret supplier is no longer a secret!
Old 02-18-2010, 2:06 PM
Cattle Thieves Pro Staff

Rob at GST is awesome. When he did my stripped lower transfer I knew nothing about AR's and had lots of questions and he spent quite a while teaching me. When I went to pick up my lower I got to see some really cool stuff he had as well.

Great service
Very eager
Friendly
informative

Only drawback is his driveway, I had to be careful not to spin my tires and mark it up when backing out. lol.

Give him a try.

224 rounds of high quality Winchester .223 FS/FT

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1226164
Old 02-18-2010, 7:38 PM

I just had a good buddy of mine try to do a PPT at River City Gun Exchange.
He was treated so bad that he did not do the transfer and went to Ron at Golden State. He told me how Rob was just the opposite of RCGE and extremely helpful. He was even looking to purchase another gun they same day. Needless to say he did not.

Due to the pleasant experience he had with Golden State, I think I will use him from now on.

Word of mouth is so very important these days. Hopefully the guys at RCGE will
learn this valuable lesson.
Old 02-18-2010, 8:51 PM

Rob at Golden State Tactical is great. Easy to get in touch with via phone and e-mail, super helpful, and always has a good attitude. That counts for a lot with me, and his price for transfers is just right. I still can't believe that some FFLs are trying to charge $80.00-$100.00 for a simple transfer around here.

Picking up a Sig P225 this weekend.
Old 02-18-2010, 9:07 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wombat25 View Post
Rob at Golden State Tactical is great. Easy to get in touch with via phone and e-mail, super helpful, and always has a good attitude. That counts for a lot with me, and his price for transfers is just right. I still can't believe that some FFLs are trying to charge $80.00-$100.00 for a simple transfer around here.

Picking up a Sig P225 this weekend.
What type of transfer? Which FFL?
Old 02-18-2010, 9:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsaacGlass View Post
What type of transfer? Which FFL?
I could have been more clear on that. I'm referring to a transfer from an out-of-state FFL...ie Summit Gun Broker or J&G Sales. Not a PPT.

I won't name those who are charging $100.00 for this service, but suffice to say that a number of Sacramento-area gun/pawn shops are charging something near this, primarily as a means to discourage internet sales, I believe.

Anyway, Rob charges $60.00 ($35.00 DROS plus a $25.00 fee) and I think that's pretty fair.
Old 02-18-2010, 9:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wombat25 View Post
I could have been more clear on that. I'm referring to a transfer from an out-of-state FFL...ie Summit Gun Broker or J&G Sales. Not a PPT.

I won't name those who are charging $100.00 for this service, but suffice to say that a number of Sacramento-area gun/pawn shops are charging something near this, primarily as a means to discourage internet sales, I believe.

Anyway, Rob charges $60.00 ($35.00 DROS plus a $25.00 fee) and I think that's pretty fair.
Yes it's very fair and to be honest even though RCGE charges roughly the same I WILL not take any transfer to them again. Or further more buy ammo or parts from them..... I would rather drive the extra 15min to go to Rob. SEEMS LIKE IM NOT THE ONLY ONE THAT FEELS THIS WAY ABOUT RCGE!!!

NRA MEMBER
Old 02-19-2010, 8:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by My-AK47 View Post
+1 for the super service Rob gives here at http://www.goldenstatetactical.com/ he has done well for me. River City Gun Exchange and the below customer service they give are out. RCGE has been going down hill for the last eight years and although they don't seem to care about customer service they have lost me as a customer. How have your experiences been?
My experience with RCGE for the last 8 years has been nothing but stellar. I can't say that I remotely even agree with your experience but hey everyone's mileage will vary. I've done multiple PPTs, Out of state transfers and have always been dealt with kindly and professionally.

In the last 10 years I've had 3 pistols sent back to the Kimber and Sig for various reasons. RCGE stood behind their product and took care of everything for me. Hassel free, professional and they always called me when my guns came back.

Recently I was looking for magazine pouches for a SCT class and RCGE did not have them in stock. One of their employees loaned me his personal magazine pouches so that I would be able to have something to hold my gear while I was shooting the class. They've always done right by me.

Who else in Sacramento carries multiple sample of XXXX on the wall?

Here is a short list of goodies...
LWRCI
Daniel Defense
STAG
S&W
Aimpoint T1, H1, M3, M4
Troy
Trijicon ACOGs and Accupoints
SCAR
Sig 556s
Magpul
Benelli
Surefire
Spikes
CMMG
Old 02-19-2010, 10:18 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45R View Post
My experience with RCGE for the last 8 years has been nothing but stellar. I can't say that I remotely even agree with your experience but hey everyone's mileage will vary. I've done multiple PPTs, Out of state transfers and have always been dealt with kindly and professionally.

In the last 10 years I've had 3 pistols sent back to the Kimber and Sig for various reasons. RCGE stood behind their product and took care of everything for me. Hassel free, professional and they always called me when my guns came back.

Recently I was looking for magazine pouches for a SCT class and RCGE did not have them in stock. One of their employees loaned me his personal magazine pouches so that I would be able to have something to hold my gear while I was shooting the class. They've always done right by me.

Who else in Sacramento carries multiple sample of XXXX on the wall?

Here is a short list of goodies...
LWRCI
Daniel Defense
STAG
S&W
Aimpoint T1, H1, M3, M4
Troy
Trijicon ACOGs and Accupoints
SCAR
Sig 556s
Magpul
Benelli
Surefire
Spikes
CMMG
Tactical Defense Survival has a tons of inventory.
Old 02-19-2010, 10:31 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisTKHarris View Post
Tactical Defense Survival has a tons of inventory.
I've been to TDS Guns, they do have lots of great accessories but RCGE has a tad more, especially the hard to get hardware, not one but in multiple favors at times.
Old 02-19-2010, 10:40 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I've been to TDS Guns, they do have lots of great accessories but RCGE has a tad more, especially the hard to get hardware, not one but in multiple favors at times.
Screw RCGE, I would rather purchase from either Cordova, TDS, or online than buy from RCGE. Those guys have always treated me poorly and I will not tolerate it, especially when I'm looking to spend a good chunk of money on a new handgun or rifle. Totally unacceptable in my book.
Old 02-19-2010, 11:18 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Screw RCGE, I would rather purchase from either Cordova, TDS, or online than buy from RCGE. Those guys have always treated me poorly and I will not tolerate it, especially when I'm looking to spend a good chunk of money on a new handgun or rifle. Totally unacceptable in my book.
Spend you money at which ever place makes you happy. All Im saying is they tend to have the hard to find items than most gun shops.
Old 02-19-2010, 11:32 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Spend you money at which ever place makes you happy. All Im saying is they tend to have the hard to find items than most gun shops.
Perhaps they do, I just would rather take my business else where.
Old 02-20-2010, 6:48 PM

Quote:
Perhaps they do, I just would rather take my business else where.
Same here ChrisTKHarris... There are a lot more options now around the Sacramento area and makes finding a great place to deal with easier.

NRA MEMBER
Old 02-20-2010, 8:07 PM

A lot of people say good things about TDS but anytime I look at their website it seems like they have no Inventory.
I like golden state and Sacramento black rifle
Old 04-07-2011, 4:51 PM

I found RCGE recently and thought their prices were decent. I sent them an email asking how to complete the sale as I could not complete the sale online. They responded a few days later and signed me up to their mailing list. Never mentioned the gun I wanted to buy.
Old 04-07-2011, 10:36 PM
Calguns Addict

I never want to do a PPT or online purchase through anyone but Rob. I think RCGE atmosphere/attitude is just the nature of being really busy and in a bad part of town. They've never been rude to me but they are moving a lot of product there and aren't as chit chatty or friendly like most places.

Shop at AMAZON to help Calguns Foundation

CRPA Life Member. Click here to Join.

NRA Member JOIN HERE/
Old 04-07-2011, 11:10 PM

RCGE is the closest gun store to me and despite its shortcomings, its not THAT bad. Yes they get very busy, yes the staff arent the nicest people (for the most part) but I have dealt with a couple guys in there who are decent.

I actually enjoy the fact that they talk straight and get you in and out of the store.... I prefer shopping that way when I cant buy it online. It fits my needs.

Now as for rob... I dros'd a glock through him and I was VERY satisfied with my experience. Very friendly, knowledgeable and just seemed like a cool guy to hang around and chat with.

His selection was actually quite decent considering its all done out of his garage. I will continue shopping at rcge and working with rob for transfers.
Old 04-08-2011, 11:18 AM

I have been dealing with Robbie at Golden State Tactical for a while now and I must say he is a stand up guy with great customer service and I have referred several friends his way. All of which say the same ... Robbie makes the whole experience of purchasing a firearm pleasant and will bend over backwards to make sure you get what you want at a fair price.

On the other hand I have been to river city gun exchange only twice in the past 5 years and both times they were too busy to help and their prices were horrific.

If youre comparing the stores RCGE is definately alot more stocked full of inventory but if having someone knowledgable an friendly there to help you in your purchase weighs in more then in stock I would say visit Golden State.
Old 04-08-2011, 5:34 PM

I've gone to RCGE many times because it's convenient for me. Although I've never been given the right customer service treatment, I've always looked passed that and tell myself "it's almost over and i'm leaving this place soon."

In the past year I've found better places such as Sacramento Black Rifle and TDS. SBR seems to be the #1 choice for me for ARs and now pistols since. Wildbills in Elk Grove is also "OK" except I've had one bad experience there two weeks ago. I'm 25 years old and I'm assuming the employee thought I had no money or little experience. I probably knew more than he did.

Anyways, shop where you think you are treated right. I may have to give golden state tactical a try for an out of state transfer one of these days.

Last edited by TBX; 04-08-2011 at 5:35 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 04-08-2011, 6:09 PM

Just ordered my first pistol with Rob at GST. He is great to work with and will get you anything that you want at a good price within a day or two. Compared to Bud's guns if you add in the 3% and transfer fee for an internet gun and Robby was within $20. He is also the cheapest I have found to do transfers with. $35 per gun plus DROS. Add the fact he gets to work out of his home makes me want to go there all the time
Old 04-08-2011, 6:34 PM

Bought my first handgun from GST this month. Ill definitely be getting my next one from home soon. While shopping around at some other stores some of them didn't seem very interested in answering my questions which could have lead to me making a purchase.
Old 04-10-2011, 9:40 AM

i got my first pistol from river city gun exchange more than 10 years ago, i remember they were very nice and reasonable at that time, i think they were in a smaller shop. now they have a larger showroom and a lot more selections, i think their customer service is not as good as 10+ years ago because they have a lot more customers today and they don't want to or they can't spend more time with each customer. i still think RCGE is reasonable today, but for sure not as good as the smaller shop deep in my memory, LOL
Old 04-10-2011, 2:32 PM

Don't know much about other shops but Robby at Golden State gets an A++ on my scale. Very easy to work with.
Old 04-10-2011, 10:29 PM

Heh, this all sounds like Chinese to me, guys. Every LGS around here, and I've been to all of them within about 30 miles, tells me this when I ask about anything that isn't already in stock except an actual firearm, and I quote, "We don't mess with that stuff, order it online."

This means everything from rail covers to optics. Well, no, one guy tried to sell me an EOTech 512 for like $550. Anyway, back to the original subject matter. You don't need to handle it and feel it, if it's an accessory, just buy it. After enough research you will know it it's the one you want or not before ever having laid eyes on it in person. And Rob at GST is indeed a good fellow. I bought a few stripped Spike's lowers from him last year. Good price, quick shipping to the only OLL friendly LGS.
Old 04-11-2011, 10:15 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

OK, You woke me up! Thank you, thank you , Thank you!. The kudos are very much appreciated.

Here's a 2 minute history on why I do what I do. I got treated really bad a few years back at the local rinky-dink gun store when I asked a simple gun availability question. You'd have thought I interrupted the worlds best lap dance or turned the TV off at the crucial moment of the 9th inning with 3 on and 2 out and the 3/2 pitch right down the pipe. It was like "dude you are not worth our time, go somewhere else unless you flash us a big wad a cash and then maybe we'll think about helping you with your stupid little gun questions!" THAT is why I decide to retire from the day job and open a gun shop. I'll show those knuckleheads that you don't treat people that way and survive in business.

The staff at most of these shops have no clue about the value of a well served customer, their free word of mouth advertising and the the fact that when you are served with accuracy, efficiency, courtesy and a little show (fastest transfer in the west maybe??) you want to come back and share the experience with your friends.

You sure wouldn't tell your friends to go get crappy service from your referred gun store would you? Anyway, I treat everyone like I want to be treated. Simple as that.

My business model is as a private gun dealer, someplace where you feel as if it's only you getting the good stuff. That will always be how I try to be. If I do grow, it will ONLY be with this as the underlying theme.

Thanks again for everyone's support. Without it, I'd still be a banker

Golden State Tactical <---click here or Here--->Golden State Tactical Store

An Outpost Deep In the Heart of the Beast! Home of "California Compliant" AR15 Parts and Magazines and some of the lowest priced guns in the state!!!

Last edited by rbetts; 04-11-2011 at 10:20 PM..
Old 04-11-2011, 10:35 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

+1 for robbie. ive bought 6 lowers off him so far, and now that he sells lmt lowers, im selling the jd's and kaisers i have, and going all lmt.
Old 04-11-2011, 10:37 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

oh, and river cities is pretty high on prices except ammo, and unless you have a ccw, you have to give them your drivers license and a thumbprint. i remember a few years ago, they wanted $33 for a glock 19 10 rounder. same mags up at the reno gun show were like $4.75.