Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Rimfire Firearms
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Rimfire Firearms .22, .17 and other Rimfire Handguns and Rifles

Old 02-15-2010, 9:24 PM

Default lightweight red-dot system for ruger mark II 22/45

Need a suggestion for a Red-dot / lightweight sight system for a Ruger Mark II 22/45. There is a 5-1/2" Bull Barrl on the pistol.

My daughter is enjoying shooting...but she is slightly handicapped and the Ruger 22/45 is what she can hold to shoot. I think the addition of a Red-Dot type optic will give her much more satisfaction in hitting the targets, but it needs to be lightweight, so it won't make the pistol too heavy.

What suggestions for a mount/red dot system?

thanks..
bigkahuna04

My favorite Cooper quote about the rifle:
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
Old 02-15-2010, 9:38 PM
Veteran Member

I would say a c-more type sight. I have one on my .22/45. Also, you may want to look into getting a tactical solutions pac-lite upper for that pistol(its basically all aluminum with a steel barrel liner), I have one and they are amazingly light (and very accurate), mine has the c-more on it too and its still light as anyone would want. Only thing is your going to have to have the pac-lite gifted to you by an out of state relative or (do like I did and) find one for sale in the private market in california.

5.56 vs. 308? http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=267737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali-Shooter View Post
You are not a mall ninja. You are a defender of mall ninjas.

Last edited by nrakid88; 02-15-2010 at 9:45 PM..
Old 02-16-2010, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigkahuna04 View Post
Need a suggestion for a Red-dot / lightweight sight system for a Ruger Mark II 22/45. There is a 5-1/2" Bull Barrl on the pistol.

My daughter is enjoying shooting...but she is slightly handicapped and the Ruger 22/45 is what she can hold to shoot. I think the addition of a Red-Dot type optic will give her much more satisfaction in hitting the targets, but it needs to be lightweight, so it won't make the pistol too heavy.

What suggestions for a mount/red dot system?

thanks..
bigkahuna04
I am happy with Ultradot on my pistol, I have the 1" tube, larger dot (their "normal"/cheaper version). It is very light and tracks accurately.

Can you change barrels? Because whatever difference in sight weight isn't going to be nearly the difference between a light weight and bull barrel.

Good luck. Let us know what you end up.

If you are in the bay area, I plan to do some .22LR shooting this Sat at LARGC near Saratoga, I can bring a .22LR w/ Ultradot for you/daughter to check it out.

Last edited by j1133s; 02-16-2010 at 10:26 AM..
Old 02-16-2010, 7:29 PM

I'm thinking of putting a Burris Fastfire II on one of my MK III's, it's light, relatively inexpensive, and has good reviews. My Bro let me use his UltraDot Matchdot(30mm tube) for a bit to see if I wanted an UltraDot, it turned the gun(6 7/8" Slabside) into even more of a tackdriver than it already is, but made it feel VERY top heavy and cumbersome. I like the concept, just need to get something less bulky. UltraDot make a holo sight as well, I've read it's a pain to setup, but works well once it's dialed in.
Old 02-16-2010, 7:40 PM
Calguns Addict

http://primaryarms.com/product.sc?pr...3&categoryId=5

and it wont break the bank!
Old 02-17-2010, 5:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomd1584 View Post
Yup. Totally agree. Small and light.
Old 02-17-2010, 8:59 PM

good suggestions....are all these red dot systems used with both eyes open?

My favorite Cooper quote about the rifle:
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
Old 02-18-2010, 7:11 PM

The UltraDot MatchDot I used worked great with both eyes open, noticebly reducing eye strain, kinda weird. I can't speak for any of the others mentioned.
Old 02-18-2010, 8:36 PM
Moderator Emeritus
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Burris Fastfire. I put one of these on my GF's Ruger MKIII.

They are extremely, and I mean EXTREMELY lightweight, and work great. No brightness levels to play with, as they auto-adjust depending on ambient. I've got one on one of my guns too, and I love them.
Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.
--Cesare, Marquis of Beccaria, "On Crimes and Punishment"
Old 02-20-2010, 7:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkenbach View Post
I'm thinking of putting a Burris Fastfire II on one of my MK III's, it's light, relatively inexpensive, and has good reviews. My Bro let me use his UltraDot Matchdot(30mm tube) for a bit to see if I wanted an UltraDot, it turned the gun(6 7/8" Slabside) into even more of a tackdriver than it already is, but made it feel VERY top heavy and cumbersome. I like the concept, just need to get something less bulky. UltraDot make a holo sight as well, I've read it's a pain to setup, but works well once it's dialed in.
Funny you bring this up... I just swapped the Ultradot on my Mark III Hunter for a FastFire II. First impressions... awesome!

The Ultradot is a great scope but I wanted something smaller and lighter. With the FastFire the pistol is quite a bit lighter and much better balanced; instead of all the weight being high and in front of your hand as with the Ultradot, the FastFire is smaller and lighter and mounts right in place of the original rear sight so the additional weight is pretty much directly over your grip. It leads to what I feel is a much improved balance.

The Fastfire II is only 0.9 oz without the mount... but you also get to remove the factory rear sight (the adjustable factory rear sight on my Hunter weighed more than the Fastfire mount.) Compare that to an 1" Ultradot at 3.9 oz plus the weight of the rings plus the weight of the Ruger scope base. While that extra 5-6 ounces doesn't sound like much the fact that it's up much higher and further forward with the Ultradot makes a big difference in how the gun feels.

Also, the FastFire's big open window (much like a C-more) makes fast target acquisition quicker as you don't suffer from "tunnel vision" like you do with a standard tubular red-dot. The FastFire makes the Mark III's dot acquisition feel much more like my Limcat Open gun which uses a C-more which I greatly prefer.

Last edited by Kiba; 02-20-2010 at 9:07 PM..
Old 05-07-2010, 8:14 AM

Heres a Pac Lite for sale. Not drilled or tapped but would be no problem for a competent gunsmith.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...ical+solutions