Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Shotgun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Shotgun discussions Trap, Hunting, Defense and more. A place for enthusiasts to discuss the shotgun.

Old 02-15-2010, 3:37 PM

Default Savage 69 12 gauge

Ok,

I coulnt find an earlier post of mine to piggy back my question on.....

I just bought a used Savage 69 pump shotgun (looks like an Ithica 37 riot/trench). I've looked on here for info but was somewhat limited. The 10 days wait is now in countdown mode. Anyone have any specifics on this rifle and/or pics would be great too

Thanks again....
Old 02-15-2010, 6:16 PM
Calguns Addict

All I know about the Model 69 is that it did see some use in law enforcement, and the follow on Model 77 saw some action in Vietnam. Commercial guns blue, LEO / military usually found parkerized.

Only decent photo I could find with a quick search is of a sporting model with a Poly-Choke... de-activated, in the UK.

Not a lawyer, just a former LEO proud to have served.

Quote:
Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. -- James Madison
Old 02-15-2010, 6:59 PM

I purchased a Savage Model 69 RXL just under a year ago. A nice little shotgun, but nothing special. The RXL is a slightly beefed-up version of the Model 69. I've seen these for sale at various SoCal gun shows three times within the past year.

My gun looks nothing like the one pictured in the previous post. If it's pictures you seek, please feel free to PM me your e-mail address and I'll send you pictures from whatever angle you desire.
Old 02-15-2010, 10:03 PM

Thanks for the pics....

I looked at the paperwork and yes, its a Savage 69 RXL. I think its "blued" so I assume its not LE. I will post pics in 10 days.

Characteristics the same or are there even variances?
Old 02-16-2010, 5:39 PM

Pix sent.

I seem to recall a thread or two about this gun on The Firing Line. You may want to search there. Perhaps The High Road as well.

The RXL, as I recall, can accept both 2 3/4" and 3" shells whereas the plain Model 69 can only fire 2 3/4" shells. I've never fired 3" shells from mine.

The gun was engineered to serve both military and LE needs and it served in both capacities, albeit without any substantive distinction.
Old 02-16-2010, 11:46 PM

I own one and have taken it apart and re-assembled, RXL is a 18.5" modified choke, police shotty, double action trigger, holds 7+1.

It mostly matches the Stevens M67 so if you ever need parts or furniture or assembly guide the 67 will help you out.

Only ever had one issue with it, did a little tinker work and why I took it apart, functions fine. I inherited mine, it sits in the safe now, my new HD gun is my 982.

[edit]
Ah wasn't paying close attention, yours is a bottom eject? in that case scratch most of what I said.

Sacramento Photography
www.wolf-photo.com

Last edited by ArmedWolf; 02-16-2010 at 11:49 PM..