Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Firearms Accessories: Holsters, Safes, Lights & more
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Firearms Accessories: Holsters, Safes, Lights & more If it locks up, carries, fits on to or cleans up your firearms, discuss it here.

Old 01-18-2006, 2:24 AM
Veteran Member

Default american security safes any good?

any of you fellas know if amsec safes are good?

10mm. Because .45ACP just doesn't cut it anymore. <Trailerparktrash>
Old 01-18-2006, 6:41 PM

they are decent for the money, I have the teton model that is always on sale at turners for 549.99 it is not big enough anymore. it is also useless as far as theft is concerned if you dont bolt it to the ground.

if i had to do it over again i would get the largest and heaviest safe i can afford.
Old 01-18-2006, 7:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealthmode
if i had to do it over again i would get the largest and heaviest safe i can afford.
That is actually good advice. I would check the fire rating on the Amsec. When I was looking, I found that not all tested their safes the same when it came to fire b/c there was no standardized test.
Old 01-18-2006, 8:46 PM
Super Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Sellers or manufacturers might not use or disclose them, but UL has standards. See
this link. My AMSEC is rated to hold an interior temp of 350F or lower for two hours when the exterior is heated to 1850F. (But it does NOT say it is UL rated, just that it was tested by an independent laboratory.)

So long as you remember that the main purpose of a safe is to buy you time - time to get a fire department in to douse the flames, time for police to respond to an alarm or a call, time for a burglar to become exhausted or fed-up trying to break in - you ought to buy what you can afford. Most of what you can buy is UL rated as a Residential Security Container - resistant to 5 minutes of attack with common tools.

Within that class, AMSEC boxes are as good as any others. At that point they're competing on price, appearance, interiors and geegaws.
Old 01-18-2006, 9:41 PM

I was thinking of selling my Browning gun safe and pickup up a amsec lp series safe. The reason is I'll be moving to a apartment I think the LP series looks like the right size for me.
Old 01-18-2006, 10:09 PM
Veteran Member

I did a key word search of "gun safe" on thehighroad.org and got a ton of hits. You'll learn alot by reading stuff there.
Old 01-19-2006, 1:48 AM

I have an American Security Cascade series 6030. 800 plus lbs Firerated..

5 out of 5 stars...

Old 01-19-2006, 3:39 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas_223
I have an American Security Cascade series 6030. 800 plus lbs Firerated..

5 out of 5 stars...

my uncle had a browning safe that was somewhere near 800lbs or more loaded with goodies valued out to 70k and that didn't stop burgulars from taking the entire safe, loading it into my uncles tacoma pickup and hauling it away. all this done in broad daylight in a good newly developed neighborhood and nobody saw anything. they found the pickup and the browning safe 3days later. the bed of the pickup was badly damaged and the safe was ripped open. it looked as if the crooks used some kind of pneumatic prying system to pry the doors open. all the money/jewerly that was in the safe was lost but all of the firearms were reinburst by the insurance. the best thing was that my uncles AR wasn't in the safe at the time and boy was he glad because that's unreplaceable in the PRK. good thing for not making his ar a fulltime safequeen.

Old 01-19-2006, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m98
my uncle had a browning safe that was somewhere near 800lbs or more loaded with goodies valued out to 70k and that didn't stop burgulars from taking the entire safe, loading it into my uncles tacoma pickup and hauling it away. all this done in broad daylight in a good newly developed neighborhood and nobody saw anything. they found the pickup and the browning safe 3days later. the bed of the pickup was badly damaged and the safe was ripped open. it looked as if the crooks used some kind of pneumatic prying system to pry the doors open. all the money/jewerly that was in the safe was lost but all of the firearms were reinburst by the insurance. the best thing was that my uncles AR wasn't in the safe at the time and boy was he glad because that's unreplaceable in the PRK. good thing for not making his ar a fulltime safequeen.
Wow..800lbs safe and they still hauled if off and opened it. Incredible.
Old 01-19-2006, 12:12 PM
I need a LIFE!!

That's why your safe needs to be bolted down to floor and alarmed. All the better if it's in a hard to move position in home (downstairs, upstairs, etc.)

And the alarm should autodial your cellphone, not the PDs

Lighter gunsafes are just convenient carrying cases for burglars.

Also, garages are not good places for gunsafes. Too much privacy, ease of moving into a vehicle while garage door closed, often availability of 220/240VAC electrical (welders?), and expectation of work noise from garages.

Bill Wiese
San Jose, CA

CGF Board Member / NRA Benefactor Life Member / CRPA life member

No postings of mine here, unless otherwise specifically noted, are
to be construed as formal or informal positions of the Calguns.Net
ownership, The Calguns Foundation, Inc. ("CGF"), the NRA, or my
employer. No posts of mine on Calguns are to be construed as
legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.
Old 01-19-2006, 3:10 PM

"That's why your safe needs to be bolted down to floor and alarmed"

Correct. We also have dogs that don't like strangers..Someone is almost always home..

Invest in a good safe, the peace of mind is worth it.

V
Old 01-19-2006, 5:07 PM

If all goes well I'll be moving to a two story apartment..second floor. The smaller amsec safe would be perfect for me since space would be at a premium and the safe would be in my bedroom. That's the reason why I'm gonna sell my browning gun safe.
Old 01-19-2006, 11:32 PM
Super Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Also, garages are not good places for gunsafes. Too much privacy, ease of moving into a vehicle while garage door closed, often availability of 220/240VAC electrical (welders?), and expectation of work noise from garages.
Awww. I wish I had space for a vehicle in my garage...

Took a lift-gate truck and a pallet jack to move my safe in - and I can rent both three blocks from my house. Getting the pallet jack under the safe is the trick, thus the bolts to hold it down.
Old 01-20-2006, 8:57 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwiese
That's why your safe needs to be bolted down to floor and alarmed. All the better if it's in a hard to move position in home (downstairs, upstairs, etc.)

And the alarm should autodial your cellphone, not the PDs

Lighter gunsafes are just convenient carrying cases for burglars.

the safe was located upstairs but the thing was that it wasn't bolt down yet since my uncle just barely moved into the new house and he didn't have the time to build a solid platform for the safe yet. and yet the burglars managed to haul that sucker all the way down to the garage and into the pickup. the size of the safe is about as wide as the width of the bed of the tacoma, I mean that safe was so heavy that if you'd tried to rock it or push it, it wouldn't move. I bet the burglars must have called for backup and had like 10 or more big guys come in and all this racket going on and no neighbor's has seen/heard anything. so much for the neighborhood watch program in this city/state. people just don't give a crap.

Old 01-21-2006, 12:23 PM
Veteran Member

My big safe is 960 pounds empty, and two big guys moved it right into place without breaking a sweat. All it takes is a good handcart and/or dolly. Getting down the stairs would be a bit tougher, but it's not really a big deal.

max
Old 01-21-2006, 12:48 PM
Veteran Member

Yeah, if it's accessible make sure you bolt it down. Mine is in my office and the house is alarmed. The delivery guys had a hard time getting it in my office, even though it's on the first floor they needed to navigate 3 corners that only fit the safe by less than 1/2 an inch. Took them almost 2.5 hours and it was empty (850 lbs), with it full I can just about imagine..... They better bring the torches into my office and disable my alarms if they really want in.
Old 02-03-2006, 12:17 PM

((I am cross posting this same comment in another thread))

For the last couple months I have been shopping HARD for a new Gun Safe.
And I think I have narrowed it down to either an

AMSEC BF6040
http://www.amsecusa.com/gun-safes-BF-main.htm
or maybe an

AMSEC RF6528
http://www.amsecusa.com/gun-safes-HS-main.htm

So far as I can tell these are the ONLY real Gun "Safes" on the market.
Does anyone on this list have any experience with either of these or have any reason they would suggest that I NOT consider buying one.

I have found one online shop willing to part with the BF6040 for $1,984 Delivered, which seems like a very good price.

Of course the RF6528 is WAY more money, but seems to be a full vault quality unit rated as "Tool-Resistent", something I have not seen on ANY other gun safe??

Also, just asking for personal oppinion here, is it worth a little bit more money to get the extra 12" of height and go for a 72 rather than a 60" safe???
Old 02-03-2006, 11:01 PM

I have rad that the Jaws of Life that a fire dept has can open any safe

Don't know if its true but I figure any theif with tools like that isn't going to bother with my neighborhood

Still what a bummer!
Old 02-04-2006, 7:53 AM

I don't see HOW they could use hydraulic jaws to open a saw.
You have to get a leverage point to insert the jaws???