Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Discussion General discussion regarding CCW/LTC in California

Old 02-13-2010, 8:38 PM

Default Getting denied for a CCW with dismissed D.V. charge.

Could you still get a Utah CCW or a CA. CCW if you were charged with a domestic violence and the charges was later dismissed? You were not convicted but you are now in the system as once being charged for a domestic violence.

Last edited by jpsac2003; 02-13-2010 at 11:55 PM..
Old 02-13-2010, 8:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsac2003 View Post
Could you still get a Utah CCW or a CA. CCW if you were charged with a domestic violence and the charges was later dismissed? You were not convicted but you are now in the system as once being charged for a domestic violence.
Wow, good question. I will await the answer also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmut Shmacher Space Chimp View Post
Where can I get a pair..?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViPER395 View Post
I like it colored
Old 02-13-2010, 9:56 PM
Super Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

That could happen - CA is 'may issue' and any old reason may be enough to discourage a Chief LEO.

Will it happen? Can't make a general statement, I think.

Unless there is some way to amend a bill so you would support it,
the details do not matter until the Governor signs or allows the bill to become law.

Ask CA law questions in the How CA Laws Apply to/Affect Me Forum
- most questions that start 'Is it legal ...' go there.

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Old 02-13-2010, 9:59 PM
Calguns Addict

if the CLEO doesn't like your tie he can deny you.....so i'm guessing it would depend on the CLEO

Most civilization is based on cowardice. It's so easy to civilize by teaching cowardice. You water down the standards which would lead to bravery. You restrain the will. You regulate the appetites. You fence in the horizons. You make a law for every movement. You deny the existence of chaos. You teach even the children to breathe slowly. You tame.
People Should Not Be Afraid Of Their Governments, Governments Should Be Afraid Of Their People

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Old 01-26-2011, 10:12 AM

"Could you still get a Utah CCW or a CA. CCW if you were charged with a domestic violence and the charges was later dismissed? You were not convicted but you are now in the system as once being charged for a domestic violence. " Posted last year.

I find the to be a good question now that Sac. is "Shall Issue".

Anyone out there have an updated educated answer to this question?

California only
Arrested under Penal Code 273.5 ( Corporal Injury on a Spouse, Cohabitant, or Fellow Parent), booked ,bail out, Went to preset court date & found out there is no court date the local D.A dismissed case and or declined to prosecute under "in the interest of Justice"

Let's say this was more than 12 years ago, So now what?.....

Arrested,Charges filed but D.A dissmised it all. Is this a Decline for a CCW application approval request?

Maybe this question should be moved over to the CC background check post

Thanks

Last edited by christine6; 01-26-2011 at 11:02 AM.. Reason: adding info.
Old 01-26-2011, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishPirate View Post
if the CLEO doesn't like your tie he can deny you.....
I'm assuming this is a metaphor. You aren't expected to wear a tie are you?
Quote:
"Those who would ban extended magazines, will say that although hundreds of thousands are in circulation and thousands more will surely be sold before a ban is enacted, it will be worth it if it saves just one life. But the other half of that question must be asked, too: Is it worth it if it costs just one life?" Stephen Hunter
Old 01-27-2011, 5:01 AM
Veteran Member

With the Utah or any shall issue state, it would depend on the wording in their prohibition section. If it says "arrested for" instead of "convicted of", you wont get one. Otherwise, shall issue means shall issue. If you dont run afoul of their requirements, your GTG. They dont have any descretion that i am aware of.

Ca, it depends entirely on how the CLEO feels that day or his personal views or the counties politics or whatever....
Old 01-29-2011, 11:31 PM

Someone different circumstances with me but, this might give you some insight in your chances.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...48#post5706148
Old 01-30-2011, 8:37 AM

I don't know about your county, but in San Bernardino County one of the disqualifiers is being investigated for DV. I think it is a pretty lame threshold, anybody can be investigated for anything, that doesn't mean you've done anything wrong. I don't know if they take the outcome into account, but the term they used was "investigated"...
Old 01-30-2011, 3:59 PM
Veteran Member

Since you are located in Sac, I guess the question would be, "Would it be worth it to you to put up $20 to find out?"

If you get denied, I'm sure CGF would help you in the appeals process.

Quote:
turboface20 wrote:
Pretty sure a .177 pellet gun can and has killed people...

bangbangping wrote:
So has malaria, but a mosquito isn't a very good self defense weapon.
Old 02-01-2011, 8:56 AM

Default Response from Amber Wong

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsac2003 View Post
jpsac2003,

I e-mailed Amber Wong (the lady who heads up the CCW process for the Sac County Sheriff's Dept.) and asked her your question. Here's her reply:

"That is not a question that can be easily answered. Our CCW panel would review the entire packet submitted along with any reports connected with the applicant and make a decision.

~Amber"

So, like Sky_DiveR mentioned in the post above, it would probably be well worth submitting your application, since it only costs $20 up front, and wait to hear what the CCW panel decides. There's really no other way. You could ask every Tom, Dick & Harry around but, the only opinions that will tell you what you want to know are going to be those from the CCW panel at the issuing agency.

I will mention that you DO NOT need to take any training or spend any other money whatsoever to make your appointment (here's a link: http://sacsheriff.checkappointments....WTigerScreen_1) and turn in your application. You'll either get a letter of approval and you can move forward through the process or of denial and you'll be finished with the process but, at least you'll know.

Good luck.
Wesley Lagomarsino, CA CCW Instructor - Alameda, Amador, Calaveras, El Dorado, Placer, Sacramento, San Joaquin, Shasta, Stanislaus, Yolo, Yuba, the Cities of Davis, Galt, Lodi, Stockton and Tracy ... and many more to come ... and Arizona, Florida, Nevada, Maine, Oregon, Utah & Virginia

www.LFIguns.com - serving the Central Valley, Foot Hills and Bay Area