Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 01-30-2010, 1:24 AM
Banned

Exclamation My Open Letter To Oakland Regarding Their Latest Attempt To Control Guns

Oakland and LCAV are at it again.

See:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=264557

And

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=264610

As an Oakland resident who has seen the TOTAL FAILURE OF GUN CONTROL IN OAKLAND, this has me so teed off that I can't think straight!!!!!

So I will be presenting this "nice" open letter at the upcoming City Council meeting. If you aren't coming, you should - read the first thread, and then fill out the poll in the second thread above.

Here's my little letter / speech. . .

"First off let me just say that Oakland is a running joke, and has been since the 'ebonics' days. It's really hard to take my own hometown seriously anymore. Therefore, if I break out in laughter, you will have to excuse me."

"As a resident of Deep East Oakland, I also find it hilarious that Oakland is once again attempting to combat crime by restricting the rights of law-abiding gun owners."

"By definition, criminals do not follow the law. Therefore, any new laws will have zero impact on crime in Oakland. If you want to clean up Oakland, start by electing a REAL mayor, replacing ALL of the city council, yes that's YOU, with people who can actually get something done, and cutting pay for the most overpaid city workers in half. According to the latest numbers, over ONE THOUSAND Oakland city workers make more than $100,000."

"When 1 out of 5 of the CITIZENS in Oakland are on welfare, can you not see how crazy these salaries are?"

"It's just sick."

"Next, completely eliminate nepotism in Oakland, since it's also a joke around the rest of the Bay Area. I hate to say it, but Oakland is run more like a Third World city."

"I won't even get into the Deborah Edgerly matter, since it's a matter of public record, AND public ridicule."

Fire the acting Chief of Police and anyone who was responsible for the massive Lovelle Mixon screwup that resulted in five deaths. Oakland's police department now looks like a clown circus, especially after the official incident report came out last month."

"Take the money you save, and invest it in real jobs, schools, and infrastructure. Enforce existing laws."

"I witnessed a shooting recently only two blocks from this very location. I was willing to testify, but the DA assigned to the case decided to drop the charges for no apparent reason. Her name is Shara Beltramo, for the record. Maybe one of you could call the DA's office and ask to speak to her supervisor about this?"

"I imagine that a lot of dangerous criminals are walking the streets because the DA's office is not competent to actually, you know, prosecute cases? As a practicing attorney myself, I find this completely ridiculous."

"Finally, the 'Agenda Report' on these new proposed laws states that Oakland has ONE Federally licensed firearms dealer. They even got that wrong. I am almost certain they are actually referring to ME. I have a Federal Firearms License that allows me to collect certain old guns. It does not allow me to be in the business of selling them. The fact is that there are ZERO firearms dealers in Oakland, yet we have one of the highest murder rates in the entire country. Does that not tell you that gun control is a failure? Can you not understand that simple logic?"

"Honestly, I don't know whether to laugh or cry about how stupid and ineffective these proposed laws are."

That should get their attention.

Last edited by oaklander; 01-30-2010 at 2:23 AM..
Old 01-30-2010, 2:04 AM
Calguns Addict

Might want to mention state pre-emption and the probability that the laws are not even enforceable and therefore just one more potential budget leak when someone challenges the laws validity. Plus, with almost all constitutional scholars believing that the 2a will apply to California and Oakland by years end this will open them up to federal lawsuits in addition to the state suits already mentioned.
650-315-2210
http://CoyotePointArmory.com
Old 01-30-2010, 2:08 AM
Banned

FTW, (acting as a private citizen and not a CGF board member) I just sent it to:

cityclerk@oaklandnet.com,
dbrooks@oaklandnet.com,
jquan@oaklandnet.com,
pkernighan@oaklandnet.com,
officeofthemayor@oaklandnet.com,
atlarge@oaklandnet.com,
idelafuente@oaklandnet.com,
citymanager@oaklandnet.com,
cruby@oaklandnet.com,
nnadel@oaklandnet.com,
lreid@oaklandnet.com,
jbrunner@oaklandnet.com,
jrusso@oaklandcityattorney.org

Let's see if any of them have the cohones to even reply.

It is written as a series of soundbites because I expect to get quoted, as I was at the San Mateo County Supervisors Meeting.

http://www.mercurynews.com/breaking-news/ci_14007054
Old 01-30-2010, 2:10 AM
Banned

LOL - one step ahead of you - my state preemption argument and "cost" argument will be appearing in this weekend's edition of the Oakland Tribune as part of an article on the proposed ordinances.

When I get on a roll, I do not mess around. . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantodd View Post
Might want to mention state pre-emption and the probability that the laws are not even enforceable and therefore just one more potential budget leak when someone challenges the laws validity. Plus, with almost all constitutional scholars believing that the 2a will apply to California and Oakland by years end this will open them up to federal lawsuits in addition to the state suits already mentioned.
Old 01-30-2010, 2:13 AM
Calguns Addict

I love it. Great work!
Old 01-30-2010, 2:18 AM
Banned

Thanks!

Probably a little over the top - but again, they are idiots and need blunt words.

I will let the rest of the Coalition handle the subtle stuff. . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post
I love it. Great work!
Old 01-30-2010, 2:20 AM
Safety Third
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestryll View Post
I want to be Princess Anastasia today because I feel pretty
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuarterBoreGunner View Post
Kes is really just an errand boy
Proud NRA Member.
Tere Hanges 2013 participant.
Old 01-30-2010, 2:23 AM

Nice letter. Too bad it probably won't have any effect.

These people know what's best for us, and they're rabid in getting their way. They'll never give up.

You said Oakland is run like a third world country, well, ever notice how almost all third world countries have rampant crime and also have very strict gun control laws? Yeah, I rest my case.
Old 01-30-2010, 2:25 AM
C3 Leader
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Nice work Oak, this is even better then getting the FB California Brady Chapter deleted!!!
Old 01-30-2010, 2:27 AM
Banned

The ONLY purpose of that letter is to get a juicy quote in a major publication. I have no delusions that the idiots at City Hall would even understand the irrefutable logic that I am laying down at their feet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepy1988 View Post

These people know what's best for us, and they're rabid in getting their way. They'll never give up.

You said Oakland is run like a third world country, well, ever notice how almost all third world countries have rampant crime and also have very strict gun control laws? Yeah, I rest my case.
Old 01-30-2010, 2:34 AM
Banned

LOL, I do my part. The nice thing about all this is that it actually fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANDREWMENDEZ View Post
Nice work Oak, this is even better then getting the FB California Brady Chapter deleted!!!
Old 01-30-2010, 2:49 AM
In Memoriam

oak...

how dare you make fun of that mayor.

after all, he was just a couple hours late ON HIS FIRST DAY...

sigh... oakland is going to hell... or is that been accomplished by the city yet?

no wonder the A's and raiders wanted to bail. i just hope larry ellison buys the warriors and move them to the south bay...

lol...
Old 01-30-2010, 2:54 AM
Banned

LOL, Oakland is teh FAIL. But somehow I still like it here. Not sure why.

ETA: my email to them started with "Dear Public Servants," - that's funny right there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldivinag View Post
oak...

how dare you make fun of that mayor.

after all, he was just a couple hours late ON HIS FIRST DAY...

sigh... oakland is going to hell... or is that been accomplished by the city yet?

no wonder the A's and raiders wanted to bail. i just hope larry ellison buys the warriors and move them to the south bay...

lol...
Old 01-30-2010, 3:09 AM

Oaklander for Oakland public office!

WTT: 1K rounds 9mm for ???

Don't feed the cannibals.
Old 01-30-2010, 7:48 AM
Veteran Member

IS Mixon incident report freely available?
WTB: CZ452
Old 01-30-2010, 8:05 AM
Banned

http://www.oaklandpolice.com/geninfo...ardInquiry.pdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by mblat View Post
IS Mixon incident report freely available?
Old 01-30-2010, 8:22 AM
Calguns Addict

Oak you should run for city council.

Old 01-30-2010, 8:46 AM
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by oaklander View Post
report doest say what that <bleep> mixon used... just "assault weapon"...

any news on that lawsuit?
Old 01-30-2010, 8:51 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Funny thing about lawyers. They love unzipping, whipping it out and pounding it on the table until they get their way.

Quote:
Oakland and LCAV are at it again.

See:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=264557

And

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=264610

As an Oakland resident who has seen the TOTAL FAILURE OF GUN CONTROL IN OAKLAND, this has me so teed off that I can't think straight!!!!!

So I will be presenting this "nice" open letter at the upcoming City Council meeting. If you aren't coming, you should - read the first thread, and then fill out the poll in the second thread above.

"First off let me just say that Oakland is a running joke, and has been since the 'ebonics' days. It's really hard to take my own hometown seriously anymore. Therefore, if I break out in laughter, you will have to excuse me."

"As a resident of Deep East Oakland, I also find it hilarious that Oakland is once again attempting to combat crime by restricting the rights of law-abiding gun owners."

"By definition, criminals do not follow the law. Therefore, any new laws will have zero impact on crime in Oakland. If you want to clean up Oakland, start by electing a REAL mayor, replacing ALL of the city council, yes that's YOU, with people who can actually get something done, and cutting pay for the most overpaid city workers in half. According to the latest numbers, over ONE THOUSAND Oakland city workers make more than $100,000."

"When 1 out of 5 of the CITIZENS in Oakland are on welfare, can you not see how crazy these salaries are?"

"It's just sick."

"Next, completely eliminate nepotism in Oakland, since it's also a joke around the rest of the Bay Area. I hate to say it, but Oakland is run more like a Third World city."

"I won't even get into the Deborah Edgerly matter, since it's a matter of public record, AND public ridicule."

Fire the acting Chief of Police and anyone who was responsible for the massive Lovelle Mixon screwup that resulted in five deaths. Oakland's police department now looks like a clown circus, especially after the official incident report came out last month."

"Take the money you save, and invest it in real jobs, schools, and infrastructure. Enforce existing laws."

"I witnessed a shooting recently only two blocks from this very location. I was willing to testify, but the DA assigned to the case decided to drop the charges for no apparent reason. Her name is Shara Beltramo, for the record. Maybe one of you could call the DA's office and ask to speak to her supervisor about this?"

"I imagine that a lot of dangerous criminals are walking the streets because the DA's office is not competent to actually, you know, prosecute cases? As a practicing attorney myself, I find this completely ridiculous."

"Finally, the 'Agenda Report' on these new proposed laws states that Oakland has ONE Federally licensed firearms dealer. They even got that wrong. I am almost certain they are actually referring to ME. I have a Federal Firearms License that allows me to collect certain old guns. It does not allow me to be in the business of selling them. The fact is that there are ZERO firearms dealers in Oakland, yet we have one of the highest murder rates in the entire country. Does that not tell you that gun control is a failure? Can you not understand that simple logic?"

"Honestly, I don't know whether to laugh or cry about how stupid and ineffective these proposed laws are."

That should get their attention.
More regimes have been brought, piecemeal, to their knees by what was once called “Irish Democracy”—the silent, dogged resistance, withdrawal, and truculence of millions of ordinary people—than by revolutionary vanguards or rioting mobs.
Old 01-30-2010, 8:54 AM
Banned

LOVE that quote!

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardm View Post
Funny thing about lawyers. They love unzipping, whipping it out and pounding it on the table until they get their way.
Old 01-30-2010, 9:02 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
OMFG...... this people suppose to protect us?
Old 01-30-2010, 9:03 AM
Banned

That's why I said "clown circus" in my letter / speech!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mblat View Post
OMFG...... this people suppose to protect us?
Old 01-30-2010, 9:08 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
That's why I said "clown circus" in my letter / speech!
Somebody suppose to download and host it as an evidence to "police officers are trained to handle crisis" argument.
Old 01-30-2010, 9:21 AM

Give em' hell, Oaklander!!!
Old 01-30-2010, 9:27 AM
Calguns Addict

Oak you should mention the recent documentries of gangs in oakland. these documentrys show absoulute proof that gun control and Oakland's School system has failed.

Point, after watching gangland numerous times I drew on the conclusion that Oakland's menagerie of gangs was among the dumbest and poorly educated in the country.

Old 01-30-2010, 9:40 AM

^^ I couldn't watch it anymore. It started to just get plain annoying to listen to them speak at all, the ignorace spewing from there mouths made me want to chuck my television out the f**cking window. It's dumbass' like that, that you have to watch out for when the SHTF.
Old 01-30-2010, 10:03 AM

Quote:

"First off let me just say that Oakland is a running joke...

Thank you for speaking out.

In fact, everyone on this board needs to be speaking out...loudly.
Old 01-30-2010, 10:21 AM
Veteran Member

Location: Long Beach, Strong Beach, Tha LBC, Wrong Beach, Wass Yo Name Foo?

Quote:
Let's see if any of them have the cohones to even reply.
Don't hold your breath waiting for that...

Vote for pro-gun candidates, or lose your rights, and the rights of future generations. That's it. The end.

"No one said life would be easy".
Old 01-30-2010, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Is it just me, or is that a 1-page document with nothing more than a title and headers for "Frequently Asked Questions" and "Final Report"?
There are certain rights that are not to be subject to popular votes, otherwise they are not fundamental rights. If every fundamental liberty can be stripped away by a majority vote, then it's not a fundamental liberty.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffyhog
When the governor vetoes a bill that would make it a felony to steal a gun, but signs a bill into law that makes it a felony not to register a gun you already legally own, you know something isn't right.
Old 01-30-2010, 11:26 AM

Those are actual links.
Why do you need an armored car for an armored car service? Just start it in Alameda county. If you can have a gun show without guns surely the county attorney would understand an armored car company without an armored car.
Old 01-30-2010, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf13 View Post
Those are actual links.
Huh, doesn't work for me.
There are certain rights that are not to be subject to popular votes, otherwise they are not fundamental rights. If every fundamental liberty can be stripped away by a majority vote, then it's not a fundamental liberty.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffyhog
When the governor vetoes a bill that would make it a felony to steal a gun, but signs a bill into law that makes it a felony not to register a gun you already legally own, you know something isn't right.
Old 01-30-2010, 12:01 PM

I use to like going to Oakland and visting that great gun shop, Siegle's Guns but it gone now, I did buy three or four gun from them while they were open. Hope you have fun at the council meeting, Oak. Give em hell.
Old 01-30-2010, 3:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepy1988 View Post
I think it will have an effect.

If fact, I think this is a perfect example of a great strategy to combat LCAV!

Oaklander has a good chance that one of these sound bites will be picked-up by the mainstream media. And the people reading/listening/viewing it will be more inclined to react because it's so direct and hard-hitting. And it's the reaction of these media and citizens that will really affect what elected officials do — not letters or speeches at council meetings.

Plus, it never hurts to have your opponent become the subject of ridicule... it's a time-honored tactic of all politics.
Old 01-30-2010, 3:40 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gef View Post
I use to like going to Oakland and visting that great gun shop, Siegle's Guns but it gone now,
Siegle's Guns was part of the problem. I remember they had a policy of not dealing in "military stuff", meaning AK-pattern rifles. Look how much good it did them. They were driven out regardless. They thought that concessions would protect them. Wrong. Many gun shops have thought that way. The owner of LA Guns once told me they didn't have any political posters or information there because they wanted to stay out of politics. Now they're out of the FFL business, and I wonder how long they will be able to remain as a viable tactical retail store.

FFLs like Siegle's are a major part of our problems in this state.

Exposing Leftists
Zomblog
The future of California?
Old 01-30-2010, 3:44 PM
Rebel Scum
CGN Contributor

Why bother trying to inform the Oakland city council of true facts or what the reality of the effects of laws on criminals. They won't listen and I'm sure they already have it in their mind what they are going to do.

"A dull knife is as useless as the man who would dare carry it"
Old 01-30-2010, 6:58 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Tell me it ain't true.

Quote:
LOVE that quote!
More regimes have been brought, piecemeal, to their knees by what was once called “Irish Democracy”—the silent, dogged resistance, withdrawal, and truculence of millions of ordinary people—than by revolutionary vanguards or rioting mobs.
Old 01-30-2010, 7:50 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Tear'em a new one, Oak!

Boycott Guns Fishing & Other Stuff in Vacaville!

Tis better to have Trolled & lost, Than to never have Trolled, at all.

Member: NRA, CRPA, IDPA, Diablo Rod & Gun, Local 39
Old 01-30-2010, 8:40 PM
Veteran Member

sounds like the city council of DEEtroit or DC. good luck.
Old 01-30-2010, 8:47 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by vantec08 View Post
sounds like the city council of DEEtroit or DC. good luck.
LOL

Old 01-30-2010, 8:59 PM
Veteran Member

You writing this letter to the city in no way surprises me, the city doing anything BUT completely ignoring your letter would surprise me. You probably feel better after writing it. Too bad we can't get the _________ running the city of Oakland OUT!
"Looking a bit angry, he asked why I thought it was a Republican truck. I explained that if it were an Obama truck, the seats would blow smoke up your *** year-round. I had to walk back to the dealership. The guy had no sense of humor."