Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Shotgun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Shotgun discussions Trap, Hunting, Defense and more. A place for enthusiasts to discuss the shotgun.

Old 01-21-2010, 8:05 PM

Default Help with a special edition Rem 870 Wingmaster, the "Mississippi Magnum"

I have a 1983 Remington 870 Wingmaster, its a commemerative Ducks Unlimited model called the "Mississippi Magnum". I've done some fairly extensive online research looking for more information on the gun, and I have discovered that only 4000 of these shotguns were produced by Remington and only in 1983. However, of the few pics I've been able to find, none of them look like mine. The pics show a slightly different scoll design and script/font on the sides of the chamber, and the ones in the pics show the scrolling and script filled with gold while mine has no color. No matter where I look I cannot find any information or pics that match or describe my shotgun accurately (although I have not yet contacted Remington directly). The scrollwork and script is very obviously from the factory, it is not a forgery or a home-job.

Does anyone have any advice or information on this shotgun? I've had it for about 10 years and I'm just now getting around to investigating its history.

I will post some pics of my shotgun as well as the pics I found online, for comparison.

Last edited by ErikTheRed; 01-21-2010 at 8:08 PM..
Old 01-21-2010, 8:36 PM
Veteran Member

Default 870

Post the pics and lets go from there.
Old 01-21-2010, 9:31 PM

It was 1982 that the "Mississippi Edition (dinner gun) was produced. It has no collector value unless it is 100% new in the box with warranty papers that were never sent in. Even then the value is not much more then any Wingmaster made in 1982. Even if you think the weapon is new if you don't have the warrenty papers then the gun is considered used and the value is based on other value of other Wingmasters in the same condition.

As for the difference in the scrolling, some of the engraving and scrolling was subcontracted and yours could have been done somewhere other then the Remington Factory or the pictures you are looking at are of subcontracted guns and yours was done at the factory.

It could be possible that your variation is worth more then other DU variations depending on wich chapters had the least number of guns manufactured. If the Mississippi DU chapter had the fewest made then yours, if in new or even 100% condition may be worth more then other to the right buyer. Only Remington can give you the numbers and it is worth looking into.

As it stands at 100% you are looking at about $400 tops. However, the value of any item is what someone is willing to pay for it and the weapon could bring a lot more.
Mossberg LE Armorer
www.aiptactical.com
www.tacticalgunsling.com
If you're going to a gun fight, take a shotgun. If you can't take a shotgun, don't go.

Last edited by aippi; 01-22-2010 at 1:01 PM..
Old 01-21-2010, 11:49 PM

hmm. sound pretty neat. would like to see pics and know little more.
Old 01-22-2010, 8:58 PM

See Eric? It's not worth as much as you thought and you should give it to your shotgun loving brother without delay.
That's what I woud do.
Old 01-22-2010, 9:50 PM

I have found three of these shotguns for sale online over the past 5 or so years, and the 3rd one I just found about 5 minutes ago. I found this ad on Gunbroker--

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=153027681

Now why in the hell this never popped up in my Google search before today is beyond me, but there it is. Based on the Gunbroker page, it looks like it sold for $500. The gun in this ad is exactly like mine.

Heres another ad, this one on CollectorsFirearms.com, but this gun is obviously different than mine. They are asking $995.....

http://www.collectorsfirearms.com/ad...p?itemID=22941

A third ad was up several years ago, I don't remember the website but it sold for over $900 as well.

None of these guns were brand new when sold, but they all claim "excellent" or "very very good" condition. I would class mine as "excellent" as well.

According to the Remington Society of America, the "Mississippi Magnum" 870 shotguns were produced in 1983, not 1982.......

http://www.remingtonsociety.com/rsa/journals/870/?na=5

I purchased this gun about 10 years ago from a coworker. He was the original owner. He had fired it, but only a few times--- and based on the way it looked, I believe his claim was accurate. I have fired it many times, maybe 100 rounds or so since I've owned it, and it still looks outstanding. I have absolutely no intention of ever selling it, I was just curious to know more about it. And like so many people who appear on the Antiques Roadshow, the value is more of a novelty. (unless I found out it was worth several thousand, then it would be for sale in about 10 minutes.) Its a gorgeous shotgun, and one than fewer than 4,000 people in the world can claim to own. In fact, this particular gun may be even more rare than that considering all DU Mississippi Magnums do not look the same.
Old 01-29-2010, 1:46 PM

Another used 870 Mississippi just sold on Gunbroker for over $650 earlier this week. Thats alot better than $400.