Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Southern California Chapters > San Diego Chapter
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-07-2016, 8:25 PM
SammieT's Avatar
SammieT SammieT is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: San Diego
Posts: 728
iTrader: 3 / 100%
Default Where can I find the paint to redo up my mags?

Tired of all the ugly looking mags I have and don't want to invest into new mags. Where can I find the "special paint" in San Diego for me to do it myself
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-07-2016, 8:28 PM
Frotz Frotz is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 362
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Are they aluminum? If so, start with self-etching spray primer for priming metals and top it with Rustoleum.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-07-2016, 8:39 PM
SammieT's Avatar
SammieT SammieT is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: San Diego
Posts: 728
iTrader: 3 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frotz View Post
Are they aluminum? If so, start with self-etching spray primer for priming metals and top it with Rustoleum.
Prime before I add the coat? Yes, sorry they are aluminum

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-08-2016, 12:08 AM
Frotz Frotz is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 362
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SammieT View Post
Prime before I add the coat? Yes, sorry they are aluminum

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Yes, primer before the top coat. That's what primer is for. You can usually find self-etching metal primer at an auto parts store. Apply maybe three very light coats. If you don't use primer, any other paint you put on aluminum will peel off in sheets. I used the stuff when making front panels for synthesizer equipment.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-08-2016, 8:14 AM
SammieT's Avatar
SammieT SammieT is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: San Diego
Posts: 728
iTrader: 3 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frotz View Post
Yes, primer before the top coat. That's what primer is for. You can usually find self-etching metal primer at an auto parts store. Apply maybe three very light coats. If you don't use primer, any other paint you put on aluminum will peel off in sheets. I used the stuff when making front panels for synthesizer equipment.
Going to check it out today, thanks

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-08-2016, 11:40 AM
BarrettM99's Avatar
BarrettM99 BarrettM99 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: OnUr6
Posts: 1,070
iTrader: 9 / 100%
Default

What color do you guys recommend Rustoleum? Gray?
__________________

RIP SGT Mark Allen RLTW! I love you brother. Until we meet again...
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-08-2016, 12:46 PM
golfguy golfguy is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 541
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

I avoid Rustoleum. I find Krylon works the best and lasts the longest. It does cost more but is well worth it.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-09-2016, 8:49 AM
Jimi Jah's Avatar
Jimi Jah Jimi Jah is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: North San Diego County
Posts: 6,509
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

I leave my stainless steel mags with paint missing. No need to re-paint SS. It will just rub off inside the lower again.

If it bothers you get some P-mags and give the steel mags away.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-10-2016, 9:15 AM
sdfire's Avatar
sdfire sdfire is offline
CGSSA Associate
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: San Diego California
Posts: 1,205
iTrader: 57 / 100%
Default

Go get some flat camouflage krylon paint. It is like $3.50 a can at Home Depot , or Walmart . It sticks well to aluminum or brass mags too. It it gets scratched just spray some touchups now and then if the scratches bother you.
__________________
My next Meet and Greet, or Clean Up in San Diego
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...2#post17887542


Please protect me from the evil that I see, and the darkness that I cannot.----Rev.Johnson
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-11-2016, 11:16 AM
SammieT's Avatar
SammieT SammieT is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: San Diego
Posts: 728
iTrader: 3 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimi Jah View Post
I leave my stainless steel mags with paint missing. No need to re-paint SS. It will just rub off inside the lower again.

If it bothers you get some P-mags and give the steel mags away.
Not looking to invest into new mags, rather save the trouble and do it myself

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 05-11-2016, 5:09 PM
L84CABO L84CABO is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Orcas Island, WA
Posts: 3,806
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

If you are going to paint, you may want to try painting one mag before you paint all of them. Make sure the mag still drops free after painting.
__________________
"Kestryll I wanna lick your doughnut."

Fighter Pilot
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 05-14-2016, 7:58 AM
SammieT's Avatar
SammieT SammieT is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: San Diego
Posts: 728
iTrader: 3 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by L84CABO View Post
If you are going to paint, you may want to try painting one mag before you paint all of them. Make sure the mag still drops free after painting.
Will do thanks

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 05-14-2016, 7:59 AM
SammieT's Avatar
SammieT SammieT is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: San Diego
Posts: 728
iTrader: 3 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdfire View Post
Go get some flat camouflage krylon paint. It is like $3.50 a can at Home Depot , or Walmart . It sticks well to aluminum or brass mags too. It it gets scratched just spray some touchups now and then if the scratches bother you.
Not more of scratches but it falling apart and chipping off that's all

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 05-14-2016, 9:48 AM
sofbak sofbak is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 1,331
iTrader: 4 / 100%
Default

Connect with this guy (in SD) and anodize them

http://calguns.net/calgunforum/showt...9#post18103509

Red will certainly stand out at the range.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 05-14-2016, 9:54 AM
TooPoorForMore's Avatar
TooPoorForMore TooPoorForMore is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Ventura, CA
Posts: 217
iTrader: 26 / 100%
Default

If you want to redo the original usgi dry lube finish just google perma slik "g".
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 05-14-2016, 12:47 PM
sofbak sofbak is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 1,331
iTrader: 4 / 100%
Default

Another alternative would be Birchwood Casey aluma-black.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 8:12 PM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Proudly hosted by GeoVario the Premier 2A host.
Calguns.net, the 'Calguns' name and all associated variants and logos are ® Trademark and © Copyright 2002-2016, Calguns.net an Incorporated Company All Rights Reserved.