Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Southern California Chapters > San Diego Chapter
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-03-2017, 10:59 PM

Default San Diego Firearms Training Center

Just found out that business is not going well for them and they will be forced to close their doors soon. I know its nothing big compared to Poway Weapons and Gear, but its a really friendly range and the guys that work there are great.

Last edited by uLs1a; 03-06-2017 at 7:25 PM..
Old 03-04-2017, 1:24 AM

I can't say enough good things about SDFTC. Donated.
Old 03-04-2017, 4:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwanghoops View Post
I can't say enough good things about SDFTC. Donated.

Agreed way better than PWG. Sadly I don't think that 2 days is enough time to do much.
Old 03-04-2017, 8:12 AM

I thought something was up. When I was in yesterday and asked about renewing my membership they said I would have to wait because there were having "issues" with there accounting system. Props to them for not taking my money, although I am not at all surprised. Really enjoy shooting there, not as fancy as the other place but always a friendly and relaxing environment. I really hope they figure something out.
Old 03-04-2017, 8:20 AM

Just read the Go Fund Me page, says doors will close in 2 days. With a target of $50k, it doesn't look good.
Old 03-04-2017, 9:26 AM
Calguns Addict

With today's crowded ranges, how can a local range here go out of biz on their own? We are getting a new one here in Carlsbad at Gunther Guns due to high demand.

If it does, will it be sold and re-opened or permanently shut down?
Old 03-04-2017, 9:27 AM

Very very sorry to hear this. Absolutely have loved this range. And the employees too. I'm in my 2nd year of membership.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-04-2017, 4:55 PM

Been a member since their first day. Very sad. Donated.
Old 03-04-2017, 6:40 PM
Calguns Addict

This kind of reminds me of the Blues Brothers trying to get together the $5000 in a few days before the orphanage closes down. It ain't gonna happen though and even if it did how much longer before they needed another $50000?
Old 03-05-2017, 7:22 AM

I was one of the first members, as part of a corporate membership. I actual stumbled upon this place before it was even opened. A coworker and I were driving through the parking lot trying to see if it was the range we had heard about and the owner came out asking if he could help us. He gave us a tour before they opened and sold us on membership...we were hooked and signed up. I believe that owners name was Steve, a really nice guy.

I was all downhill from there. I was shopping for a new gun and called to see if they had one, could get one and get a quote. I was told they don't discuss price over the phone, even to a member. Another time John was berating Steve about who's brass was on the sale counter. Very unprofessional.

No sense beating a dead horse further, I haven't been back in years and neither has the lion's share of our group so best of luck on their new endeavors.

Last edited by 73Jim; 03-05-2017 at 7:31 AM..
Old 03-05-2017, 11:21 AM

Like any other business there is a chance of failure. I never shot there but I went in with a friend who was looking for some mags. The store was kind of dissapointing. **** happens just because its a gun store that was poorly run doesnt mean that we should shell out money to prop them up.

I hate my life.
Old 03-06-2017, 4:10 AM

That's very unfortunate.

We practiced there and found it to be an extremely clean and safe facility.

Always felt that we were treated nicely and professionally.
Old 03-06-2017, 12:38 PM

I have been there once and never went back...i had a bad experience with the RO...it's still sad and I wish them the best of luck
Old 03-06-2017, 1:46 PM

Why in the hell would you donate to keep a business open. Sorry to see a range go away, but if it's a viable business they wouldn't need a donation.
Old 03-06-2017, 1:57 PM

I donated not because I thought it would make a difference but that I was a loyal customer for several years and appreciated the service.
Old 03-06-2017, 3:29 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

They are a really good range. Good people too. And a sponsor of cgssa. This sucks..

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Old 03-07-2017, 11:15 AM
CGSSA Associate

They kind of hurt themselves when they first opened up. They turned away a lot of shootwrs because they wouldn't allow people to collect their own brass . I had multiple people report to me that they were yelled at for it. Also yelled at or treated poorly by staff for other reasons . A lot of things like that gave them a bad reputation . Then PW&G opened their range and overshadowed this smaller range . Plus no stories of being yelled at for firing too fast , or for picking up brass for reloading. The combination of all things led to them being where they at now. Maybe someone else will step in and buy it.
Old 03-07-2017, 11:53 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdfire View Post
They kind of hurt themselves when they first opened up. They turned away a lot of shootwrs because they wouldn't allow people to collect their own brass . I had multiple people report to me that they were yelled at for it. Also yelled at or treated poorly by staff for other reasons . A lot of things like that gave them a bad reputation . Then PW&G opened their range and overshadowed this smaller range . Plus no stories of being yelled at for firing too fast , or for picking up brass for reloading. The combination of all things led to them being where they at now. Maybe someone else will step in and buy it.
Lol if they got yelled at more than likely it's for a reason. There are a lot of dumbasses at the range. They take safety very seriously. I'm good with that. Have you actually been there? As far as I know they have always let you collect brass, just your own. I asked the manager about that the first time I went, because I recalled a thread when they first opened and she told me their policy was always you can collect your own that falls behind the line blah blah.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Old 03-07-2017, 12:38 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Sad. Great range, well lit, well ventilated, great staff. As Soapbox mentions, they take safety very seriously. I preferred to take new shooters there over any other range.
Old 03-07-2017, 6:28 PM

Quote:
I had never had any experiences like those described above. I like their SO's and also feel confident that take safety seriously (as they should). My wife really enjoyed shooting there (if going indoors). I never once had them say anything about the speed I or those with me were shooting.

With PW&G just down the street it would be a tough market for competition. Time will tell. Sorry that it did not work out for them.
Old 03-07-2017, 7:12 PM

There are a couple RSO's that actually will sweep up my brass for me. Only issue I ever had was being asked to use a broom rather than ducking under the bench. Never tried bump firing but I've never seen anyone say anything about rapid firing.

All the guys I have run across there are either nice or neutral. Took my mom, dad, aunt and uncle in one time and they went out of there to help my mom and aunt with some pointers. Even let them try his Glock.

Water under the bridge at this point I guess, hopefully they figure something out. I'll be renewing my membership if they do.
Old 03-08-2017, 2:30 PM
CGSSA Associate

I am just relaying what I was told when they opened. This also what was being said for quite some time afterwards. I thought it was a very nice range and never had a problem there. I mostly shoot outdoor, so Usually I just try different indoor ranges to inform others at meet and greets , etc.
Old 03-08-2017, 2:44 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
I am just relaying what I was told when they opened. This also what was being said for quite some time afterwards. I thought it was a very nice range and never had a problem there. I mostly shoot outdoor, so Usually I just try different indoor ranges to inform others at meet and greets , etc.
I do remember some discussions on here that there was some confusion when they opened about what you could/couldn't shoot there and their brass policy. Likely left a bad impression with some folks from the beginning.
Old 03-09-2017, 1:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd joe View Post
Why in the hell would you donate to keep a business open. Sorry to see a range go away, but if it's a viable business they wouldn't need a donation.
So much this ^

So they setup a go fund me asking for money because the business wasn't sustainable? Isn't that what liberals do?
Old 03-11-2017, 12:11 PM
Veteran Member

Ha,,,never heard of the place!
Old 03-11-2017, 7:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt01 View Post
Ha,,,never heard of the place!
And likely that's why they are leaving.
Old 03-11-2017, 8:10 PM

So are they officially closed? I was going to stop by tomorrow.
Old 03-11-2017, 8:52 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default San Diego Firearms Training Center

One of the safest and friendly indoor ranges to shoot with friends. Great Range Officer always ready to assist. As a member I hope they can survive!

Last edited by Flyron; 03-12-2017 at 6:22 PM..
Old 03-12-2017, 1:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Nuggets View Post
So are they officially closed? I was going to stop by tomorrow.
Open today (all lanes were taken at 11:15, a good sign) and "business as usual".

No talk about the range closing.