Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Northern California Chapters
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-22-2015, 10:07 PM

Default Format USA - Safe Company - Reviews?

Hey everybody,

I'm looking to buy a new safe and I've been looking around the web high and low. I finally came across a company called Format USA located in Brea, Orange County, CA.
I looked around the forum quite a bit and found that they appeared to have got their start by selling Costco refurbished safes. These safes were the very reasonable priced "First Alert" safes. This company would contract with Costco to take the returned safes and refurbish them up to manufacturer specs for re-sale.
So far in my research on this forum, everybody seems to be a satisfied customer and very happy with their purchase. However, I have a few concerns and was hoping to get some more in depth answers.

1.) Previously this company was selling the refurbished "First Alert" brand, which seemed to be their only product. Now, on their website, it appears that they manufacture their own safes, but I can't seem to find any reviews...
Has anybody purchased a "Format" brand safe? If so, what are your thoughts?

2.) Of the people who purchased the refurbished "First Alert" brand, what are your thoughts after owning it for a few months/years at this point? I've been able to find reviews, but all of the reviews are concerning value of the money spent. I was looking at more of an in-depth and critical review of the safe.

I know this is long-winded, but I'm looking for guidance if anybody has any!
Here is the website for the company: Format Safe
Here are the past threads on the safe and the company: Thread 1 & Thread 2

Thanks everybody!
Old 06-17-2015, 10:50 AM

Default Format Safes

I stumbled onto Format Safe's website and after a little research was very bothered by what appears to be deceptive advertising. When first reading about the company and their safe "USA" is prominently displayed all over their web site, USA follows their name and facebook advertises Fomat as a "Gun safe manufacturer in Brea, CA".
Further searching lead me to their "parent company": Format Tresorbau, a subsidiary owned 100% by Droege Group, was incorporated into the holding company Dutech, a company listed on the Singapore stock exchange. Dutech is the holding company of Shanghai-based Tri Star Group.
Format does "manufacture" their own safe, but NOT in the USA, they are 100% China owned corporation.
Admittedly it is hard to purchase many items that are still made in the USA, but I am offended when a company attempts to deceive the public. It makes me wonder if they are being completely honest in their safe descriptions and specifications.
Old 06-29-2015, 11:41 PM

it makes me wonder if they are being completely honest in their safe descriptions and specifications.
Old 06-30-2015, 7:46 AM

I purchased a safe from Format. They are GREAT to deal with,,,super helpful.
They re-furbish used or warrantied safes from First Alert.
I believe they assemble safes from imported parts.
I would Highly recommend the Vendor and their product ! Only if you want to save some serious cash?
Old 09-24-2015, 6:19 PM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Location: The People's Glorious Republik of Southern Kalifornistan

I am resurrecting this old thread. I bought a Format USA safe last week. They don't sell refurbished Costco safes anymore. They sell new safes branded as "Format USA". I visited their showroom and was assisted by a very helpful gentleman named Kevin.

I ended up buying their biggest safe, the AA34. The specs look as good or better than other comparably priced safes. The AA34 was just under 1K, including the optional door organizer and delivery / boltdown.

I will be having it delivered in the next week or so, and will post additional feedback based on actual use. The build quality seemed excellent, as good or better than the Bighorn and Cannon safes I already have.

Any feedback from other owners would be most welcome.

Hot air from ultra-pricey safe owners who have decided out of thin air, watching youtube videos, and reading commission based salesman propaganda that this safe is unworthy are encouraged to post their opinions elsewhere, where someone might care what they have to say.

I don't.
Old 09-24-2015, 7:26 PM
Veteran Member

Location: Riverside County - where the rednecks and hillbillies meet the suburbs

Bobby can you let us know what their pricing is now? I tried to look it up online and couldn't find it. But I bought their 19cu ft safe a while back and was very impressed with it and the company.

Join the discussion at:http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=352777
Old 09-24-2015, 9:50 PM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleighter View Post
Bobby can you let us know what their pricing is now? I tried to look it up online and couldn't find it. But I bought their 19cu ft safe a while back and was very impressed with it and the company.
I believe the 34 CF model was about $750. The optional door organizer was around $69. Figure tax on top of that. Delivery / install obviously can vary depending on various factors but I came in right under a grand for all the above.

It is a brand new safe, not any sort of refurb or second. The quality seemed very good overall, but of course I haven't got mine yet. There was no delay whatsoever by the company, I think they have the safes ready to go. I put off delivery while I clean up my garage and make a space for it.

Hope that answers your questions!
Old 09-24-2015, 11:14 PM
Veteran Member

Location: Riverside County - where the rednecks and hillbillies meet the suburbs

Do you know what they were asking for their 19 cu ft?

Join the discussion at:http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=352777
Old 09-26-2015, 10:19 AM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleighter View Post
Do you know what they were asking for their 19 cu ft?
I don't remember exactly, but it was cheap.
Old 10-04-2015, 6:15 PM

Bobby: any update?
curious to hear your thoughts once you get the safe delivered and set up.
Old 10-25-2015, 10:23 PM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi54 View Post
Bobby: any update?
curious to hear your thoughts once you get the safe delivered and set up.
I have the safe now installed and bolted down in my residence now. I have no complaints whatsoever with the quality of the safe or the service of the company. The representative who was scheduled to deliver and install my safe had to cancel the first appointment, but compensated me for the inconvenience by throwing in the door organizer ($69) for free.

It took about 15 minutes to wheel the safe in and anchor it to the slab. All of the packing and cardboard was taken away as well. He stayed and answered all my questions about the safe, the combo, keypad, changing the battery, etc.

The quality of the interior was on par with the other safes I have. There are a lot shelves and clips included so you can configure it as you like. It is the same company who manufacturers and sells the safe, so there isn't any middle man to go through. Service and warranty are handled directly by them, and they are local to the L.A. Area.

The overall price for the safe, delivery & installation, tax, etc. was less than $1K. Since I had already paid for the door organizer, the cost of it was refunded to me. Having had the safe in place now for a couple weeks, I have had no issues whatsoever.