Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Shotgun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Shotgun discussions Trap, Hunting, Defense and more. A place for enthusiasts to discuss the shotgun.

Old 12-28-2005, 11:55 PM

Default Vietnam 870

Hey guys I saw a picture of an 870 with what looked like a bayo lug-clamp that wrapped around the barrel and mag tube. can we still find these pieces or are they specifically on military models only???
Old 12-29-2005, 1:38 AM

I recall reading that these accessories are rare/hard to find and are thus pretty expensive on the second-hand market, FWIW.
Old 12-29-2005, 5:12 AM

Buy a Mossberg Military 590 or 590A1.
Of course if you want to add a surefire forend you need to grind the lug off.
Old 12-29-2005, 11:57 AM
Janitors assistant
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

I thought the issue shotgun for Vietnam was the Model 12 Winchester. But of course I could be wrong.
Old 12-29-2005, 12:40 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanimal
I thought the issue shotgun for Vietnam was the Model 12 Winchester. But of course I could be wrong.
I think you are right. They have one at Markleys for over a grand. Its has the original spur hammer that they later removed because it was getting hung up on gear. It looks like its seen some action too. I just can't justify spending that much for an old gun when I can get a new one for for under $300. I'm married you know
Old 12-29-2005, 1:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Searson
Buy a Mossberg Military 590 or 590A1.
Of course if you want to add a surefire forend you need to grind the lug off.
I would but I'm a hardcore 870 fan. Look here the gun is a quarter down the page or the first pictures posted on. also that mag tube looks like the factory mag extension but it looks longer than my factory mag extension or could this be due to the angle of the camera??
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.htm...171078&page=16

I want it!
Old 12-29-2005, 2:07 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazyman
I would but I'm a hardcore 870 fan. Look here the gun is a quarter down the page or the first pictures posted on. also that mag tube looks like the factory mag extension but it looks longer than my factory mag extension or could this be due to the angle of the camera??
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.htm...171078&page=16

I want it!

Yup that looks like a 870 alright
Old 12-29-2005, 5:00 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanimal
Savage also.

-hanko
Old 12-30-2005, 11:31 AM
Veteran Member

Ithaca 37 as well as other shotguns were in use in Vietnam. As for a model 12 with a bobbed hammer, as they are internal hammer designs, the gun being referred to is a Winchester 1897 most likely, I doubt they saw much if any service in Vietnam but who knows?

The 870 that was made up for the marines with that special bayonet lug set up I've seen in pictures but I'm not sure if any genuine example have surfaced on the civilian market yet.
Old 01-02-2006, 7:34 PM

American Rifleman had an article about combat shotguns in Vietnam. Ithaca 37's. Reminton 870's, Winchester Model 12's and I even think there were Mossberg 500's. They also talked about the different military loads. Buck and duplex loads.

Randy
Old 01-17-2006, 5:46 PM

Default Vietnam 870s

I would be extremely skeptical of anyone claiming to own a Vietnam-deployed 870. These were not procured until the mid-1970s and then only by the Marine Corps, not all services. The Marine Corps calls it the M870 Mark I and they still use it. While this model probably did see some combat in Vietnam (photos of the storming of the USS Mayaguez clearly show it, but there aren't many other pics of it back then), it would have been very limited and to have a verified example in private hands would be almost impossible. Most that are still living are still in USMC inventory, most others were so used/abused that they have simply been destroyed, especially Vietnam-era examples. 1970's examples are extremely unlikely to still be around. The only Remingtons that unquestionably saw combat in Vietnam were the Remington Model 11 and Model 31, both very old even at that time. Savage, Stevens, Ithaca, Winchester, for sure. Mossbergs for sure did not.

A true, verified example of a Vietnam-period 870 Mark I would be about the most sought-after martial shotguns out there to collectors. A verified piece, the owner could name his price.

The bayonet adapter you're talking about was designed for and sold only to the Marines with their Mark I's. Some of these adapters have found their way out into civvie hands, but VERY few. Real ones are clearly stamped "Remington Arms Co." are very pricey. The one in the AR15.com-linked photo upstairs is a repro from Scattrergun Technologies. Don't know if Wilson/Scattergun Tech still makes it, but that's one of theirs. Very similar to the one found on the Remington 870 Mark I, but not quite the same.

Last edited by monkey; 01-17-2006 at 6:03 PM..