Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 01-17-2010, 2:49 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default Advantages of a Chromed Barrel?

What is/are the Benefit of having a Chrome lined barrel for an AR15? More Accurate? Easier to clean? Both? Something else??!
Thanks!
Old 01-17-2010, 5:48 AM
Calguns Addict

from my readings and i have one that is chrome lined, the only clear advantage I read is easier cleaning. No need to run a brush. if any, i've come across threads that non-chrome lined were more accurate than chrome lined. for those who believe in breaking in a barrel, chrome didn't require it too (break-in in that).
Old 01-17-2010, 6:04 AM

Pros: Corrosion resistant. Longer barrel life. Easier to clean. Easier extraction on a chromed chamber.

Cons: Theoretically a non-chrome lined barrel can be more accurate due to variations in chrome plating thickness.

All my barrels are chrome plated. And they all outshoot my abilities. But if I was to build a precision rig or high power gun i'd go unchromed. The type of build you want to do will dictate chrome vs. unchromed.
Old 01-17-2010, 6:52 AM
Jonathan Doe

Chrome lined barrls were made for battle field conditions. Pretty much vast majority of match quality barrels are non-chromed.
Old 01-17-2010, 7:11 AM

Here is a frank piece from DS Arms on chrome lining, they are an AR manufacturing firm

DSA does offer chrome lining for our ARs as an option. Having said that, it is worth commenting as to why we offer most of our rifles without chrome lining. We work with many of the nation’s battle labs on various projects from barrels to suppressors. We get the data that comes with building and testing hundreds or thousands of these items. Chrome lining on military rifle barrels is done for various reasons. Reducing barrel wear and increasing barrel life is the main reason. The military uses chrome lining because of the higher barrel temperatures caused by using high rates of fire in select fire weapons or machine guns. This has nothing to do with using corrosive ammo. U.S. mil-spec ammo is non-corrosive. Does having a chrome lined barrel help when shooting corrosive ammo? YES it does, but can you remember the last time you saw any U.S. made corrosive 5.56mm or .223 ammo for sale? How about corrosive 7.62mm ammo? It is pretty rare, and really does not justify the need for a chrome lined barrel. Of course AK-47 type rifles are another story. Another fact most people don’t know is that many of the “chrome lined” barrels out there are indeed chromed lined, BUT do not meet U.S. military specs for chrome lining.

It is a well proven fact that a non-chrome lined, standard chrome molly barrel will be more accurate than ANY chrome lined barrel 99% of the time. A poorly produced chrome lined barrel will experience plating peeling in less than 1000 rounds causing accuracy problems. Many companies state that they produce chrome lined barrels and they do BUT they are not plated to U.S. mil-spec requirements. Producing proper chrome lined barrels to military specifications is super expensive, and difficult to do correctly. There has been extensive testing on this issue over the last 3-4 years, and the data shows less accuracy is usually the result of a chrome lined barrel whether it is done correctly or in correctly.
Old 01-17-2010, 8:09 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAL View Post
Pros: Corrosion resistant. Longer barrel life. Easier to clean. Easier extraction on a chromed chamber.
I thought the chroming was only on the barrel and not including the chamber? At least that way it's always worded.
Old 01-17-2010, 8:32 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by javalos View Post
Here is a frank piece from DS Arms on chrome lining, they are an AR manufacturing firm
DSA does offer chrome lining for our ARs as an option. Having said that, it is worth commenting as to why we offer most of our rifles without chrome lining. We work with many of the nation’s battle labs on various projects from barrels to suppressors. We get the data that comes with building and testing hundreds or thousands of these items. Chrome lining on military rifle barrels is done for various reasons. Reducing barrel wear and increasing barrel life is the main reason. The military uses chrome lining because of the higher barrel temperatures caused by using high rates of fire in select fire weapons or machine guns. This has nothing to do with using corrosive ammo. U.S. mil-spec ammo is non-corrosive. Does having a chrome lined barrel help when shooting corrosive ammo? YES it does, but can you remember the last time you saw any U.S. made corrosive 5.56mm or .223 ammo for sale? How about corrosive 7.62mm ammo? It is pretty rare, and really does not justify the need for a chrome lined barrel. Of course AK-47 type rifles are another story. Another fact most people don’t know is that many of the “chrome lined” barrels out there are indeed chromed lined, BUT do not meet U.S. military specs for chrome lining.
It is a well proven fact that a non-chrome lined, standard chrome molly barrel will be more accurate than ANY chrome lined barrel 99% of the time. A poorly produced chrome lined barrel will experience plating peeling in less than 1000 rounds causing accuracy problems. Many companies state that they produce chrome lined barrels and they do BUT they are not plated to U.S. mil-spec requirements. Producing proper chrome lined barrels to military specifications is super expensive, and difficult to do correctly. There has been extensive testing on this issue over the last 3-4 years, and the data shows less accuracy is usually the result of a chrome lined barrel whether it is done correctly or in correctly.
Thanx Jav, Good info! Do you have a link to where you got this please? I would like to do more research.... Thanx.
Old 01-17-2010, 8:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigballaizm View Post
Thanx Jav, Good info! Do you have a link to where you got this please? I would like to do more research.... Thanx.
I got it from AR15.com, (http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.htm...f=319&t=164910), the company is DSA (http://www.dsarms.com/) who offers both chrome lined and Nitride ZM-4 M-4 upper receivers. I have a Nitride plated receiver on order, stuff is very hard and the company takes pride in it advertising that it is superior to chrome lining. I haven't heard anything bad, nothing but good, receivers are very inexpensive, but quality is superb. DSA is super swamped with orders for Nitride finish ZM-4's, they are going like hot cakes.
Old 01-17-2010, 9:11 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Wow Thanks for all the replies! Great Info Up there!
Old 01-17-2010, 9:14 AM

No it includes chamber and barrel unless otherwise stated.
Old 01-17-2010, 10:16 AM

sorry dup info

Last edited by time_again; 01-17-2010 at 10:17 AM.. Reason: sorry dup info
Old 01-17-2010, 10:52 AM

If your interested in the DSA Nitride treated ZM-4 M-4 uppers, this is an interesting discussion on AR15.com. The process of Nitride treatment is discussed and how many members feel is superior to Chrome lined barrels.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.htm...=458552&page=1
Old 01-17-2010, 12:35 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
If your interested in the DSA Nitride treated ZM-4 M-4 uppers, this is an interesting discussion on AR15.com. The process of Nitride treatment is discussed and how many members feel is superior to Chrome lined barrels.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.htm...=458552&page=1
Don't get confused by coating vs lining. Nitride treating is just a coating. It might be more advance than parkerizing, but it's not to be compared to chrome lining.
Old 01-17-2010, 4:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1988 View Post
Don't get confused by coating vs lining. Nitride treating is just a coating. It might be more advance than parkerizing, but it's not to be compared to chrome lining.
..and on what your said, in the link to the forum, much discussion has been on the pros and cons of Nitride versus Chrome lining. Most of my AR's are Chrome lined for the exception of my NM upper and a stainless CAR. I found myself non-Chrome lined barrels to be more accurate. I believe a Chrome lined barrel for civilian use such as home defense and recreational use is not absolutely essential, however if you want it, the extra money spent is good, some guys think you just have to have it. Being onetime in the military myself, Chrome lining was in the barrel and chamber of our M-16A1's because our rifles had the full auto option that helped in keeping down wear when rifles were fired in full auto. Full auto is brutal on barrels.
Old 01-17-2010, 4:39 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
..and on what your said, in the link to the forum, much discussion has been on the pros and cons of Nitride versus Chrome lining. Most of my AR's are Chrome lined for the exception of my NM upper and a stainless CAR. I found myself non-Chrome lined barrels to be more accurate. I believe a Chrome lined barrel for civilian use such as home defense and recreational use is not absolutely essential, however if you want it, the extra money spent is good, some guys think you just have to have it. Being onetime in the military myself, Chrome lining was in the barrel and chamber of our M-16A1's because our rifles had the full auto option that helped in keeping down wear when rifles were fired in full auto. Full auto is brutal on barrels.
My AR rifles are either on the range or in the safe. I'd careless about chrome lined or nitrided.

Technically, it's going to be very hard to convince me if Nitride coating can do any thing significant to help in wear or heat protection.
Old 01-17-2010, 4:45 PM
Veteran Member

Now what about throwing Stainless Steel barrels into the mix? How do they rate with accuracy, barrel life, ease of maintenance etc?

Kevin
*Certified Glock Armorer
*Certified Sig (Classic Series) Armorer
*Certified Remington 870 Armorer
*AK Builder, Armorer, Operator - Trained by Rifle Dynamics*
*FFL Employee*
*Trained Gunsmith*
**SERVICES OFFERED! PM IF INTERESTED**
Old 01-17-2010, 5:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plisk View Post
Now what about throwing Stainless Steel barrels into the mix? How do they rate with accuracy, barrel life, ease of maintenance etc?
generally more expensive, better accuracy, worse barrel life, about equal maintenance.

heres a nice little guide i use
http://www.noveskerifleworks.com/barrel_break-in.pdf

MC Operator, G19, AR-15, Rem. 870, Mosin M44
Old 01-17-2010, 7:18 PM
Calguns Addict

this is one time the search button worked for me. great info here....thanks!

Most civilization is based on cowardice. It's so easy to civilize by teaching cowardice. You water down the standards which would lead to bravery. You restrain the will. You regulate the appetites. You fence in the horizons. You make a law for every movement. You deny the existence of chaos. You teach even the children to breathe slowly. You tame.
People Should Not Be Afraid Of Their Governments, Governments Should Be Afraid Of Their People

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ