Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General gun discussions This is a place to lounge and discuss firearm related topics with other forum members.

Old 12-21-2005, 8:03 PM

Location: Northern California ( Still conservative Shasta County)
Default has anyone ever had a problem with multiple gun sales

I was just wondering if anyone had ever had a delay or problem with the D.O.J. for doing a DROS for a rather large number long guns? Do you think that they might wonder if I bought oh say 33 receivers at one time

Gunner
Old 12-21-2005, 8:24 PM

I think if you are buying 33 at a time... you should probably spare your dealer the hastle and sell a few of them to me. PM if you are interested.
Old 12-21-2005, 10:07 PM

Default Nah forget it

I asked this question mostly for information. I am trying to help those in need without the problems that 10% has incurred. I have an FFL and supplier who are "Thinking About it" but the supplier says "all sales final" and the dealer doesn't want to get stuck, Soo I have to guarantee with my money that he wont get stuck with a buttload of receivers he cannot do anything with. Hence the possibility that I get to add these to my collection. I guess things could get worse.

Gunner
Old 12-21-2005, 11:03 PM
Calguns Addict

As I recall, DOJ doesn't know the number, make, or serial number of rifles when they are transferred- which is why you can DROS multiple long guns on one form, unlike pistols.

They probably wouldn't know or care. Getting stuck with 33 receivers is what I'd be more worried about!!

-Dave
Old 12-22-2005, 6:26 AM

They know how many, just not what kind. Not only does the DOJ take notice, the ATF does as well.

At my last audit the guy was collecting info on my customers that buy lots of guns to have them investigated. I have a customer that buys JUNK. I mean junk too.. this is stuff I'm planning on cutting up an scrapping.. he turns it back into guns.. It's his hobby. I Had to explain about him and at least one more customer just because of the volume of guns purchased.

I have a customer that was visited by the county sheriff because of a multiple firearms purchase he made.. he bought 50 or so guns from an estate.
Old 12-22-2005, 7:39 AM

Default thanks

Big Mac thanks for the info, It would be terrible if I had to investigate myself? Who knows what I would find Like I said, this is a what if deal. I seriously doubt I would get stuck with 33 of them I am just trying to "help out a few friends" by making these things available legally to people who want them. My FFL holder is willing but cannot or doesn't want to commit that much capitol to this venture.

Gunner
Old 12-22-2005, 8:57 AM
Banned

[QUOTE=saki302]As I recall, DOJ doesn't know the number, make, or serial number of rifles when they are transferred- which is why you can DROS multiple long guns on one form, unlike pistols.

DOJ does know how many you buy on a single DROS. They do not know the make or SN but they do know the amount and it will raise some eyebrows.
Old 12-26-2005, 10:19 PM

Interesting points. OK, so 33 to 50 might raise eyebrows with the ATF? How about a dozen or a half-dozen?

I'm sort of in a milsurp rifle kick now, and I just bought 3 rifles in one day, to go along with a shotgun and an SKS I'm waiting on my 10-day. And I already bought a new handgun within the past 30 days. Is a half-dozen an eyebrow raiser?
Ruger Mark III Hunter (HiViz sights, Bushnell 1x30mm red dot) - Ruger Mark III Target - Ruger Super Blackhawk .44 mag 10" - 2x Ruger 10/22 - Ruger GP-100 - Ruger Single Six 9.5" - Glock 17 - AA G17 22lr conversion kit - CZ75B - S&W 637 - Taurus 85 - CZ452 - Remington 870 - Marlin 336 - Yugo SKS M59 - Swiss K31 - Russian Mosin Nagant M44 - Russian Mosin Nagant M91
Old 12-28-2005, 7:48 AM

A half dozen firearms no matter what will get the attention of an ATF auditor. On my first inspection the ATF lady didn't say a thing about multiple purchases. The second lady didin't even look at the books and the Third auditor, a guy, was VERY interested in all my customers that buy lots of guns. Lots at one time or lots in rapid sucession. Will anything ever come of it? Probably not, since these guys are not doing anything illegal. There is an increased effort to police dealing without a license.

If your just collecting C&R stuff you got nothing to worry about.