Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Old 01-11-2010, 5:27 PM

Default SF Bay Area reloading clinic to start Mon. Jan 18th

It has been awhile since we last updated with you guys on this but we have finally managed to get a very skilled instructor, and a great facility to get the class situated. I would like to thank Carla (aka Asphodel on calguns) for helping us secure a location at the 10th street Range in San Jose. Since I won't be in town for this first class session (Jan 12th - Jan 31st) please refer all comments and questions to Carla (Asphodel). Here is the basics of the reloading class:

1) Date of class - Monday January 18th 8pm (you can arrive early for the meeting at 7pm if you wish)
2) Location -
San Jose Municipal Firing Range
1580 South 10th Street
San Jose, CA 95112
408-275-1738
3) Cartridge to be reloaded will be 45ACP
4) Instructor - Adam adam@getbulletsandbrass.com
5) Coordinator - Carla and Eddie
6) Total class time will be about 1.5 hours with time for questions afterward

There is unlimited seating so there will be no sign-ups needed. If you have any other questions please ask Carla for further details http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/member.php?u=27177

Here is a brief word document synopsis of the class:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=DST4RT5F

Happy reloading everyone!
Old 01-11-2010, 7:25 PM

Awesome! Will plan to be there
Old 01-12-2010, 12:25 AM
Calguns Addict

great. i'm familiar with 10th street range too back when i attended SNAP.

[edit 1-15-10] arrghh.. have to go out of town and won't be back until tuesday morning now. sucks I'm missing this.

Last edited by high_revs; 01-15-2010 at 1:26 PM..
Old 01-12-2010, 5:10 PM

The Bullets and Brass gang is looking forward to meeting fellow Calgunners at this event. If you have any questions about the topics which we will be presenting at this clinic, feel free to contact us at sales@getbulletsandbrass.com or adam@getbulletsandbrass.com
Old 01-12-2010, 5:27 PM

Just what I need! I wasn't able to open either link (word doc synopsis or Carla's contact info). Could you PM to me?

Thanks!!

Last edited by wayno; 01-13-2010 at 7:18 PM..
Old 01-12-2010, 5:30 PM
Calguns Addict

link works fine. just need to put the code to get to download link, and wait 45 seconds or so for since it's free. only 128kb or so.
Old 01-13-2010, 7:19 PM

Default Thanks!

Thanks!
Old 01-14-2010, 4:21 PM

For those of you who are planning to attend, we will be bringing a limited supply of our stock items for you to purchase as well after the class is over:

-MTM ammo boxes for pistol and rifle calibers
-Moly-bullets (these are moly coated lead bullets, suitable for this indoor range)
-pistol brass
-MTM pistol rests

If you are looking for anything specific, bring your wish list with you to the range when you attend the class. We will hand out business cards and be taking names and numbers for those of you who are looking to receive a quote.

This intro class is open to anyone who is interested in attending, bring your friends!

If you have any questions about this Monday's class, feel free to contact us at 408-857-8902
Old 01-18-2010, 8:31 AM

Just a reminder to all, that today is the day of the reloading class. if you want to attend, come on down, its FREE

The address is:

San Jose Municipal Firing Range
1580 South 10th Street
San Jose, CA 95112

When:

Monday, January 18th at 8pm. (arrive early for parking).
Old 01-18-2010, 10:51 AM

My wife and I will be there. I may not be able to contribute much, since I've only been reloading for about 2 months, but I hope to learn a thing or two.

Would you like me to bring anything?

I've got a few dies - RCBS 30-06 and a universal decapping die.
Hornady and Lyman reloading manuals
Lyman single stage press
Lyman universal case trimmer
Lyman powder measure
Lyman digital scale
Lyman tumbler
RCBS Universal hand-priming tool
RCBS Powder Trickler
Lee Hand Press
A couple of universal reloading trays
Lyman large primer crimp remover
Old 01-18-2010, 4:11 PM

Pretty irked that I am missing this. I hope there will be other dates to follow as I think this is something everyone on here would find interesting.
Old 01-18-2010, 9:45 PM

Thanks, GB&B guys! That was a great primer on reloading.
Badum bum.

Seriously, though... Thanks for taking the time to go over all of that.
Old 01-19-2010, 8:46 AM

Pretty good turn-out. I'd say around 30 people where there.

I thought it would be a little more in-depth. I didn't expect it to be as simple as it was - components of a cartridge, etc. I was hoping for information along the lines of correct bullet seating depth, signs of excessive pressure, How-to's, tips & tricks, etc.

Some of the information presented was a little misleading - such as "buy a single-stage press only if you plan to load around 100-200 rounds annually. Any more than that, and you'll want to step up to a progressive."

I bought a single-stage press in November, and have already loaded around 300 rounds of 30-06. If I went to the range more often, I could easily load a couple hundred rounds per week on a single-stage...and that's with weighing and matching every charge of powder.

Overall, it was a good, basic intro to Reloading - basically designed to help someone make the decision as to whether or not they should dive in and buy the equipment.
Old 01-19-2010, 12:14 PM

We had a good turn out of 37 people who attended last nights course. We hope that this information was able to help some folks decide whether or not reloading is for them.

Plans are in the works already to schedule more "intro to reloading" courses for those who missed last nights course and hand-on courses to cover more details such as bullet seating depth, case lengths, identifying excessive pressures, powders, tips and tricks, and etc..

The hands-on course will be limited to the size of the class to allow for those who are attending to actually load their own rounds and shoot them at the end of the course. Once we have the final instruction outline for these classes ready, we'll post a new announcement.

Our recommendations on the types of presses to use are only recommendations based on feedback we have gotten from customers and from personal experience.

Bullets and Brass would like to thank Tamalpias and Asphodel, the SCVRC and the 10th street range for helping us secure the range and making this event happen.
Old 01-20-2010, 12:46 AM

Hello, all,

I wasn't able to watch the 'Bullets and Brass' presentation at the range, as I was having to stay at the front desk to process Rifle Club membership renewals...it being 'that time of year'.

Everyone with whom I spoke, tho, had nothing but good to say about the B & B folks. I do hope they made enough sales for the event to be worthwhile for them, and that they'll feel good about doing reloading-related events at the 10th St. range on a continuing basis.

Re Chris M.'s comment.......we've loaded many thousands of rounds on single-stage presses, particularly my old 'pet' turret-press, over the years......some reloaders prefer the single-stage presses, some prefer the progressive equipment.......its just a personal choice/preference......and.....Chris, 'good on you' for carefully weight-matching your powder charges....there are many such details, such as best quality case prep, etc. etc, which, when all are done correctly, add up to accurate results.

cheers

Carla
Old 01-20-2010, 11:19 AM

I'm a bit of an accuracy fan myself. To date I've run about 40,000 rounds through my single stage press. I've owned a progressive press which I think for me is best suited for my pistol calibers, the single stage is my personal favorite for all rifle cartridges.

"To each his own" is the old saying. We at Bullets and Brass aim to keep people shooting and support our 2nd amendment rights by making shooting affordable through reloading.

Keep your eyes peeled for new postings in the future for more classes!
Old 01-25-2010, 3:42 PM
CGSSA Coordinator

I'd be very interested in a hands-on beginner-level class if you decide to hold one in the future!
Old 01-26-2010, 6:18 PM
Veteran Member

So, what are the plans for having another one of these?

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." --- Benjamin Franklin
Freedom isn't free. Read the Declaration of Independence everyday - it'll keep the New World Order away.
Quote: Army: "Your ignorant liberal puke rhetoric is tiresome."
We live in a society of extreme behavior with no electronic self control.
Old 02-15-2010, 3:35 PM

Gryff & jwest,

I am working with with a few Calgunners who help us set up the last class back in Jan. The finer details of the hands-on class is still being put together.

Need to get some feedback on what calibers to start doing the hands on classes in.

We're looking at doing .38, .45 ACP, and 9mm for now.

Earliest prediction for first hands on class is around mid April for the time being.
Old 02-15-2010, 4:47 PM
CGSSA Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetBulletsandBrass View Post
Need to get some feedback on what calibers to start doing the hands on classes in.

We're looking at doing .38, .45 ACP, and 9mm for now.
Those are exactly the calibers in which I'm interested (actual preference order is 9mm, .45acp, .38 Special).
Old 02-18-2010, 10:59 PM
Veteran Member

Tagged for future updates. I'm looking for the finer points of reloading. I'm doing alright with the calibers I'm loading. Did you anyone bring a Chrono to the last Hands-On to verify performance?
Old 08-26-2010, 11:37 PM

Its been a while since we've offered any new classes from Bullets and Brass, LLC, but the good news is that we will be offering 1 on 1 instructions soon for shooters who want to get hands on experience with reloading.

We will be offering on-site training at your place to show you how to set up your press, prepare and load your own cartridges.

Basic 1 on 1 course includes:

-3 hours hands-on instructions
-we will bring a portable reloading bench with the equipment
-reloading guide with tips and helpful information
-material to build 1 caliber of your choice is included in the instruction, you get to keep when done (50 rounds for pistol, 20 for rifle)
This course will be $80 for pistol and $95 for rifle
Calibers available: 9mm, 40 S&W, 45 ACP, .223, .308, 30-06

Reloading course with purchase of kit:
-3 hours of hands-on instruction
-Set-up of your pre-purchased reloading kit
Each kit includes: 1- Lee Breech Lock kit, scale, case trimmer, shell holders, Lee auto prime, powder funnel, Lee Load book, case length gauge and set of dies for your caliber of choice
-material to build 1 caliber of your choice is included in the instruction, you get to keep when done (50 rounds for pistol, 20 for rifle)
These course will be offered for $260 for both rifle and pistol. All equipment included is new Lee Precision equipment.

Reloading course with purchase of kit with accessories:
-3 hours of hands-on instruction
-Set-up of your pre-purchased reloading kit
Each kit includes: 1- Lee Breech Lock kit, scale, case trimmer, shell holders, Lee auto prime, powder funnel, Lee Load book, case length gauge and set of dies for your caliber of choice
-Additional reloading accessories include: universal loading tray, ammo box
These course will be offered for $270 for both rifle or pistol. All equipment included is new Lee Precision equipment.

Other options available include: Upgrade to turret press, 2x4 basics kit (custom work bench), tumbler

Multi-student discount option: We can arrange for groups up to 3 people in one session (limited to one caliber per session)

If you're interested in signing up for hands-on instructions, PM me or e-mail me today to get signed up.

Last edited by GetBulletsandBrass; 08-28-2010 at 3:04 PM.. Reason: Price correction