Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Curio & Relic/Black Powder
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Curio & Relic/Black Powder Curio & Relics and Black Powder Firearms, Old School shooting fun!

Old 01-09-2010, 9:42 AM

Default First time at the range....

It was my first time taking my M-Ns out to the range and my first time shooting a rifle over a .22 cal and the first time I've been shooting in 10 years (been a shotgun guy all my life). Dang it felt good to expierance some recoil and smell that powder! I didn't do too horrible, my 50 yard set was at least consistant and I managed to get 13 of 20 rounds on the paper at 100 yards. I still need alot of work under my belt but I think by next Utah elk season I should be good! Btw for those of yall that shoot the 7.62x54 surplus how many rounds out of a tin look like the below pic? I sorted through all the rounds before I shot em but this one had a bit more punch and had a stiff bolt when I tried to cycle it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 002.jpg (61.1 KB, 172 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 004.jpg (26.7 KB, 144 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 006.jpg (42.3 KB, 130 views)
Old 01-09-2010, 10:50 AM

What size are those targets? Shot off-hand, from the bench, ??
Old 01-09-2010, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RimfireJim View Post
What size are those targets? Shot off-hand, from the bench, ??
12 inch square, and i was leaning on a bench but wasnt using a sand bag or such.
Old 01-09-2010, 1:02 PM

Thats some good shooting right there.
They always seem to go a little to the right.
Old 01-09-2010, 4:42 PM

Haven't heard too much with split cases on surplus ammo, only the occasional dead or slow primer. It looks like a copper washed steel case, do you know what country surplus it is? What are the markings on the headstamp? Can you get a clear pic of the headstamp?
Old 01-11-2010, 9:27 PM
Veteran Member

all i've shot so far is romanian surplus from a sealed can. never had a split case or sticky bolt problem in my m44 or 91/30. do you know if it is heavy or light ball ammo? most of the surplus available these days is the light variety, 147-ish grain. even with stuff from the same country, there's a lot from different eras that may vary. some made in the 50s, some the 80s and so on will be a bit different.
Old 01-11-2010, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Scott View Post
Thats some good shooting right there.
They always seem to go a little to the right.
Like way right in my case - about 6" at 50 yds! The front sight was set to the right about 1 mm off center, so I shifted it over some and it helped, but I still need to move it to about 1 mm to the left of center, which doesn't match the stamped mark at all. Makes me wonder how the mark wound up where it did. I don't think my sight alignment is that wacky
Old 01-12-2010, 12:39 AM

Never had a problem with split cases. I have 5 different types of 7.62 light and heavy ball. I had some rounds where the primer popped out other than that its been fine in all my Mosins. As far as grouping i shoot off hand mostly and generally aim at cans and other junk targets and not actual paper targets so i dont know how well they group. I can hit the 100yard gong at Angeles 4/5 times if i try real hard (off hand) would be easier if i had a rest.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notorious View Post
fight the power.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford8N View Post
I have one request, will all the fatties please take a shower and use some deodorant before you go to the show.
Old 01-12-2010, 1:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RimfireJim View Post
Like way right in my case - about 6" at 50 yds! The front sight was set to the right about 1 mm off center, so I shifted it over some and it helped, but I still need to move it to about 1 mm to the left of center, which doesn't match the stamped mark at all. Makes me wonder how the mark wound up where it did. I don't think my sight alignment is that wacky
Are you shooting a M44? try butting the bayonet out it should help center your shoots more it helps on 2 of my 4 M44s
Old 01-12-2010, 1:01 AM

Was it an M44 or 91-30? I've heard differing opinions on the M44s that they were sighted-in with the bayonet extended and will shoot differently with it folded. I haven't tried it myself, though.
Old 01-12-2010, 4:15 AM
Veteran Member

Good shooting! That ammunition looks like some Albanian surplus I have...not the best stuff.

"America is not at war. The Marine Corps is at war; America is at the mall."
Quote:
Originally Posted by berto View Post
You're right. There's no possible way that CGN members marching alongside the Pink Pistols in the SF Pride Parade can do anything to dispel the stereotype that gun owners are conservative bigots clinging to their guns and bibles. Not a single person in the crowd is rational or reachable because the parade's for gay folks and it's in SF.
Old 01-12-2010, 8:57 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HskrVern View Post
It was my first time taking my M-Ns out to the range and my first time shooting a rifle over a .22 cal and the first time I've been shooting in 10 years (been a shotgun guy all my life). Dang it felt good to expierance some recoil and smell that powder! I didn't do too horrible, my 50 yard set was at least consistant and I managed to get 13 of 20 rounds on the paper at 100 yards. I still need alot of work under my belt but I think by next Utah elk season I should be good! Btw for those of yall that shoot the 7.62x54 surplus how many rounds out of a tin look like the below pic? I sorted through all the rounds before I shot em but this one had a bit more punch and had a stiff bolt when I tried to cycle it.
Congrats on your new acquisitions. If you are shooting a M44, it is standard for them to be zeroed with the bayonet fixed. Shooting with the bayonet folded yields groups like what you have.

A split case is indicative of an overpressure situation and it would behoove you to be careful. I recommend that you check out some of the crucial information at http://7.62x54r.net/.

A sticky bolt after shooting some surplus ammo is a well-known issue with Mosins. It is so common it has a name: 2x4 bolt. Because it takes a hitting the bolt with a 2x4 to open it. See this article: http://www.surplusrifle.com/shooting...esbs/index.asp

Cheers
Old 01-12-2010, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacobCR03 View Post
Was it an M44 or 91-30? I've heard differing opinions on the M44s that they were sighted-in with the bayonet extended and will shoot differently with it folded. I haven't tried it myself, though.
91/30