Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Camping, Hiking and Outdoor Activities
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Camping, Hiking and Outdoor Activities Camping, hiking, and other outdoor activities within.

Old 02-06-2016, 7:01 PM

Default Palisades Glacier backpacking

Trying to get back into backpacking this year again since I really didn't do any last summer. Any of you have experience with this place? Planning on doing hammock camping. Are there many trees to hang a hammock? Thanks in advance.
Old 02-06-2016, 7:51 PM

I did it 4 or 5 years ago. Around the glacier itself there's obviously not much for trees, but we setup our basecamp at one of the lakes below it.
We would pack daybacks and leave from the lake to go up to the Glacier and explore.

You will find decent options for camping at any of those lakes.

Really trying to remember the name of the lake we set up camp at.
I remember it had a really cool view of Temple Crag.

I'm gonna try and dig up some pics from that trip, amazing place.
One of the best.

Please help support The Calguns Foundation by clicking this link before your next purchase

Old 02-06-2016, 8:47 PM

It is a very, very beautiful area no matter where you turn. Plenty of trees down by the many lakes. It's a very lush area and trail with plenty of vegetation and water sources. Many places to hike and astounding views abound. Some pictures (not mine) that shows the beauty of the place:

http://hikenhi.smugmug.com/Davids-Hi...unt-Sill#!%2F=

https://pantilat.wordpress.com/2013/...n-cloudripper/

The summits of the big mountains there are generally not easily accessible like Whitney. The trail disappears before it reaches the glacier. Most peaks in the area are at least Class 3. I've been up all the 14ers in the Palisades and Temple Crag from the West and East side. Happy to try and answer any other questions you may have.

http://www.shop42a.com/
Old 02-07-2016, 9:05 AM

Palisades in the Sierras? Much of the Sierras' high country is short on trees, and the trees you do find may be far between and small. This is not all areas of the Sierras, but definitely some of the higher, more remote, and more beautiful spots. So you may find yourself using the hammock as a ground cloth.

Where you do use a hammock, please don't forget your tree load strap to protect the tree from damage.
Old 02-07-2016, 2:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2600fromAtari View Post

The summits of the big mountains there are generally not easily accessible like Whitney. The trail disappears before it reaches the glacier. Most peaks in the area are at least Class 3. I've been up all the 14ers in the Palisades and Temple Crag from the West and East side. Happy to try and answer any other questions you may have.
How far is the major trailhead from the lakes? Thanks
Old 02-07-2016, 2:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepergeo View Post

Where you do use a hammock, please don't forget your tree load strap to protect the tree from damage.
So the trees around the lakes are a no go? Also, no worries on damaging the trees, I have added extra cushion of protection on my webbing straps.
Old 02-07-2016, 3:12 PM

Lake 2 is the lake I would recommend camping at. Its about the last lake on the trailhead and from there it's a day hike to the glacier.

That lake is heavily forested and has some very good camping spots.

Please help support The Calguns Foundation by clicking this link before your next purchase

Old 02-07-2016, 7:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmendoza1779 View Post
How far is the major trailhead from the lakes? Thanks
Taking the North Fork of Big Pine Creek, it's about 5-6 miles to get to Second Lake, and about 3,000 ft of gain. It is several more miles from there to the glacier. However, there are over 7 lakes there for you to choose from. Second Lake is popular due to its size and climbers going up Temple Crag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmendoza1779 View Post
So the trees around the lakes are a no go? Also, no worries on damaging the trees, I have added extra cushion of protection on my webbing straps.
Not true at all. Did you see the bazillion pine trees in the previous links I provided? Here's another one.

https://calitrails.com/2014/05/29/hi...k-of-big-pine/

http://www.shop42a.com/

Last edited by 2600fromAtari; 02-07-2016 at 7:48 PM..
Old 02-08-2016, 9:56 AM

Right on Atari! Thank you for the advice. Not to mention it's a dog friendly trail. I may just bring my dobe with me. One last thing, what month do you think would be the best time to go? Less traffic and decent weather.