Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 01-05-2010, 4:37 PM

Default OC Segment on ABC 6:00 News in Bay Area

I was just walking by a TV that was on and saw that they are doing a segment on Open Carry tonight at 6:00 P.M. I believe the reporter said something about "returning to the Wild West." I won't be around to watch it so if somebody see's it wants to report back, please do.
Old 01-05-2010, 4:57 PM
I need a LIFE!!

DVR tuner set.

I do not read private messages, and my inbox is usually full. If you need to reach me, please email me instead.

My comments are not the official position or a statement of any organization unless stated otherwise. My comments are not legal advice; if you want or need legal advice, hire a lawyer.
Old 01-05-2010, 4:59 PM

There is also an article up on there site..

http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?sec...bay&id=7202697

On Edit: The article pretty much sums up the lead story on the news .. Couple of people with positive options and a couple people with negative options .. I find it a little disturbing that the Livermore PD's response included an officer with an AR ready to go. I guess it is just a sign of the times. It will be interesting to see what happens once the cases in the pipeline get sifted out. (McDonald & Sykes)

Last edited by crimtide; 01-05-2010 at 5:14 PM.. Reason: Added Comment..
Old 01-05-2010, 5:00 PM
I need a LIFE!!

This lead the segment... it's not looking good and it just started...

I do not read private messages, and my inbox is usually full. If you need to reach me, please email me instead.

My comments are not the official position or a statement of any organization unless stated otherwise. My comments are not legal advice; if you want or need legal advice, hire a lawyer.
Old 01-05-2010, 5:23 PM
Calguns Addict

Default uncertain if it's already aired...

live

http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/livenow?id=6498350
False is the idea of utility that sacrifices a thousand real advantages for one imaginary or trifling inconvenience; that would take fire from men because it burns, and water because one may drown in it; that has no remedy for evils except destruction. The laws that forbid the carrying of arms are laws of such a nature. They disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.
-- Cesare Beccaria http://www.a-human-right.com/
Old 01-05-2010, 5:25 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by crimtide View Post
There is also an article up on there site..

http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?sec...bay&id=7202697
So far the only comment is one directing folks who want to learn about open carry to opencarry.org.

Quote:
majstoll

1/5/10 8:40 PM EST
learn more about LOADED open carry at OpenCarry.org - in most states folks can carry loaded holstered handguns without any license, including urban areas like Pittsburgh, Seattle, etc
Old 01-05-2010, 5:41 PM
Veteran Member

Actually, this is kind of interesting in a way. Just a couple of people state-wide exercising UOC has the media all in a tizzy. Imagine what happens post-incorporation when we get the courts to agree that we have a right to bear loaded arms in public. Shall-issue CCW (if it isn't already here via Sykes) will come to California at a dizzying pace. All we'll need to do is commence the open carry walks....

Proud to belong to the NRA Members' Council of Santa Clara County

Disclaimer: All opinions are entirely my own.
Old 01-05-2010, 5:58 PM
Calguns Addict

Default news video here

http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/video#global
False is the idea of utility that sacrifices a thousand real advantages for one imaginary or trifling inconvenience; that would take fire from men because it burns, and water because one may drown in it; that has no remedy for evils except destruction. The laws that forbid the carrying of arms are laws of such a nature. They disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.
Old 01-05-2010, 6:17 PM
Gun Runner to The Stars

Thumbs up

Walter my man! High-5 to you. You were calm, well-spoken, exercised your natural rights peacefully, while wearing a T-shirt from my favorite web site (second to Calguns.net of course). WoooHoooo!

Occasionally I DO miss fleeing from the oppressive Bay Area to a region of CA that is almost like America....

Old 01-05-2010, 6:22 PM
Calguns Addict

I'd say keep LOC'ing after that for purposes of education of the masses to purge them of their panty wetting fears.
Old 01-05-2010, 6:23 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Location: Northern Mexico(San Jose) Where illegals have rights and citizens get screwed

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDoe View Post
So far the only comment is one directing folks who want to learn about open carry to opencarry.org.
They didn't post my comment, I even registred and it still didn't post.
The others, well......they just never learn.

"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, Give Me Liberty, Or Give Me Death!"
Patrick Henry.
Old 01-05-2010, 6:51 PM

Next month in Walnut Creek?! How do you suppose the wealthy residents and shoppers of that area are going to react? They'll be calling their local reps (city, county, state) and raising hell - how's that going to help us?

"Walter", and whoever else joins you on that outing, please try and dress well for that outing. Shaved head, T-shirt with graphics, and jeans doesn't exactly send reassuring signals if you're carrying. Shirt, tie, and slacks would be a better way to offset negative first impressions.
Old 01-05-2010, 7:05 PM
Banned

KGO open carry piece

Notice the dumbass holophobe that says he doesn't see any indians or cowboys, and then in his Australian accent suggests that the open carrier needs to "grow up". Unbelievable ignorance displayed in that short video.
Old 01-05-2010, 7:13 PM

The more it is done the more it will be accepted, remember the first time you saw to people of the same sex holding hands or kissing ever one did a double take now its just old hat.
Old 01-05-2010, 7:16 PM

Sure, but you need to take small steps or you'll turn the only first impression you have into a negative one. Present yourselves more favorably.
Old 01-05-2010, 7:17 PM
No, I am not a Moderator!

I only hope that McDonald and Sykes can take effect before the California Legislature makes UOC impossible...

It's a race between two groups who don't think strategically. Sadly, I'm worried its one of the few races that a legislature may be able to win...

-Gene

DONATE NOW
to support the rights of California gun owners. Follow @CalgunsFdn on Twitter.
Opinions posted in this account are my own and not the approved position of any organization.
I read PMs. But, if you need a response, include an email address or email me directly!

"The problem with being a gun rights supporter is that the left hates guns and the right hates rights." -Anon
Old 01-05-2010, 7:24 PM
Veteran Member
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffmang View Post
I only hope that McDonald and Sykes can take effect before the California Legislature makes UOC impossible...

It's a race between two groups who don't think strategically. Sadly, I'm worried its one of the few races that a legislature may be able to win...

-Gene
Precisely! I look forward to the time that UOC can be done with a unified front and purposeful direction.

Member, CRPA Board of Directors
"No one could make a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little." - Edmund Burke

Search Calguns using Google
CGN Search plugin for Firefox & IE CA Shotgun AW ID Flowchart CA Handgun AW ID Flowchart CA Senate CA Assembly Anti-2A Search Plugin
Old 01-05-2010, 7:28 PM

Quote:

-Gene
What stops the legislature from passing the same law restricting/banning OC aftter McDonald and Sykes?

The legislature has never acted as bound by the state law nor US constitution. Why would they change after June 2010?
Old 01-05-2010, 7:34 PM
Banned

Gene, I know that McDonald will be heard in June, but I'm expecting to hear a decision in September? Is that realistic?
Old 01-05-2010, 7:38 PM
Veteran Member

The last guy interviewed needs to get his *** mugged, so he can see why its not about "growing up". At least the news put in comments in support of it as well. It is true however, just as people first reacted when same sex couples began kissing and such in public, I think sometime in the not so distant future UOC or even LOC will become maybe not accepted, but at least something that doesnt create 4 or 5 911 calls. But its true allowing CCW's to be shall issue seems like a better way to keep the masses calm.
Old 01-05-2010, 7:46 PM
No, I am not a Moderator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merle View Post
What stops the legislature from passing the same law restricting/banning OC aftter McDonald and Sykes?

The legislature has never acted as bound by the state law nor US constitution. Why would they change after June 2010?
AB-962 passed by one vote after an hour or two of the author claiming up and down that it wasn't unconstitutional under Heller. Sykes/Palmer will prove that Californians have a right to carry. At least after McDonald, we could launch a preliminary injunction or defend UOCers being publicly harassed and win. Until then, not so much.

UOC sucks. OC is interesting. UOC legislation could endanger the future of OC. Sadly you're going to have to think about it to figure out how as I'm not interested in helping the antis hurt us...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadrunner View Post
Gene, I know that McDonald will be heard in June, but I'm expecting to hear a decision in September? Is that realistic?
McDonald is heard on March 2. The decision should be released in the last week of June. If people could only wait 5 more months. But who needs patience when you know you're right...

-Gene

DONATE NOW
to support the rights of California gun owners. Follow @CalgunsFdn on Twitter.
Opinions posted in this account are my own and not the approved position of any organization.
I read PMs. But, if you need a response, include an email address or email me directly!

"The problem with being a gun rights supporter is that the left hates guns and the right hates rights." -Anon
Old 01-05-2010, 7:47 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:

-Gene
I agree. The UOC folks will very likely succeed in getting any form of unlicensed carry and any form of open carry (other than licensed security guards) banned entirely before McDonald is won. A little at a time is one thing. Getting acceptance by small steps. But the in your face attitude some have taken lately is just going to backfire and goad the legislature into action with the media cheering them on. I wouldn't be surprised to see the legislature make it a felony.

The antis out maneuvered us for decades by thinking strategically and now that we have them on the run by taking up strategic winnable cases some of our own are throwing a great big monkey wrench into the cause.

Proud Life Member: National Rifle Association and the Second Amendment Foundation.

Disappointed Life Member: California Rifle & Pistol Association

Last edited by sholling; 01-05-2010 at 7:49 PM..
Old 01-05-2010, 7:49 PM
Veteran Member

another thing I just thought about when watching that video. It seems extreme when they make him put his hands on his head and face a wall and assume the frisk postion (as I have seen on youtube other UOC'ers not being treated this way) but then to top it off the third officer had is ar out and ready to rock. But I realized, after all the shootings up in washington... I cant say the way this guy was treated was completely warranted, but I can see why the police officers may be extra touchy with this stuff right now.
Old 01-05-2010, 8:06 PM

Yeah, I love Mr. Balfour's comment. If it's so archaic, why do cops still carry? After all, no more Indians to repel. I think some people speak with their lizard brain before their human portion can rub two neurons together.
Old 01-05-2010, 8:07 PM

I guess I understand what the OC people are trying to accomplish. But it has been made clear to them that it would be in EVERYONES best interest to hold off for a few months. However they decline to do this. Now that they have managed to get their face on TV, I don’t think they will stop.

So I guess they will be the heroes that got it done, or the jerk offs that screwed it up for everyone. Only time will tell.
Old 01-05-2010, 8:14 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoner View Post

So I guess they will be the heroes that got it done, or the jerk offs that screwed it up for everyone. Only time will tell.
Consider this: UOC in CA at this time has virtually zero chance of "getting it done" but has the potential to create some very negative outcomes for everyone.

Old 01-05-2010, 8:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildhawker View Post
Consider this: UOC in CA at this time has virtually zero chance of "getting it done" but has the potential to create some very negative outcomes for everyone.
I agree
Old 01-05-2010, 8:39 PM

I think Gene nailed it. The black panthers did it because "they could", which sadly resulted in UOC'ers having to do it the only way they can now UNLOADED.

No one is asking to give it up for life, just wait five months. Imagine if you were taking part in an ambush, and the guy next to you decided he wanted to start the fight before the enemy was in the kill zone. He'd get everyone killed. A little patience and the battle is won before it's fought.

Ceasar Chavez was against illegal immigration....
Old 01-05-2010, 9:37 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballwizard05 View Post
another thing I just thought about when watching that video. It seems extreme when they make him put his hands on his head and face a wall and assume the frisk postion (as I have seen on youtube other UOC'ers not being treated this way) but then to top it off the third officer had is ar out and ready to rock. But I realized, after all the shootings up in washington... I cant say the way this guy was treated was completely warranted, but I can see why the police officers may be extra touchy with this stuff right now.

How much you want to bet the TV station set the whole thing up. They contacted the UOC'er to do a interview and contacted the PD for their part.

...... you cant have no idea how little I care "

Monte (Tom Selleck) - 'Monte Walsh'

"It's not always being fast or even accurate that counts, it's being willing. I found out early that most men, regardless of cause or need, aren't willing. They blink an eye or draw a breath before they pull the trigger--and I won't."

John Wayne as John Bernard (J. B.) Books in The Shootist
Old 01-05-2010, 9:53 PM
Veteran Member

For those that might have missed the first showing its on again in a few mins. ABC 11pm news

vinz

In Memory Of Babe....I also remember the Eggs and Country fried potatoes that went with that Bacon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fot View Post
In before the penis measurements
ROFL
Old 01-05-2010, 9:55 PM
Banned

I am just gonna jump in and add in that I feel, nay KNOW, that Gene is correct.

Please guys, we need to chill out for a bit.
Old 01-05-2010, 10:04 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime

It seems that many on Calguns are willing to hold off on UOC until after McDonald.

Has anyone gone over to opencarry.org and other open carry sites that have California open carriers on them and asking the active UOC'ers to hold off for five months?

We ask politicians for change, why not each other?
Old 01-05-2010, 10:13 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
AB-962 passed by one vote after an hour or two of the author claiming up and down that it wasn't unconstitutional under Heller. Sykes/Palmer will prove that Californians have a right to carry. At least after McDonald, we could launch a preliminary injunction or defend UOCers being publicly harassed and win. Until then, not so much.

UOC sucks. OC is interesting. UOC legislation could endanger the future of OC. Sadly you're going to have to think about it to figure out how as I'm not interested in helping the antis hurt us...

McDonald is heard on March 2. The decision should be released in the last week of June. If people could only wait 5 more months. But who needs patience when you know you're right...

-Gene
I just explained to my wife why we are asking people to at least wait 5 months on UOC and her response was "do they know you all are playing chess and not red rover!!!" I almost fell out of bed. Many apiologies to my UOC brothers for that, I hope to join you again soon but not just now.
Old 01-05-2010, 10:16 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
It seems that many on Calguns are willing to hold off on UOC until after McDonald.

Has anyone gone over to opencarry.org and other open carry sites that have California open carriers on them and asking the active UOC'ers to hold off for five months?

We ask politicians for change, why not each other?
I wish we could all think the same but others believe the fight is now as I once did several months ago.

vinz

In Memory Of Babe....I also remember the Eggs and Country fried potatoes that went with that Bacon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fot View Post
In before the penis measurements
ROFL
Old 01-05-2010, 10:18 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:

Yes most at OCDO have stood down. All of the original and some of the new crowd. But it only takes one to over turn the apple cart. I'm at wits end over this bay area news coverage and the San Pedro false arrest for concealed carry and the arrest "protest" event...

Please sign up over there and PM the ringleaders and USE LOGIC to PERSUADE. Do not belittle as that may close off consideration of your ideas.
Old 01-05-2010, 11:01 PM

Quote:
...after McDonald, we could launch a preliminary injunction or defend UOCers being publicly harassed and win. Until then, not so much.

-Gene
Thanks Gene. That makes the most sense as to why NOT to OC at this time.
Old 01-06-2010, 5:06 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:

-Gene
Words more true have never been posted.
- Jeff Cooper

Check my current auctions on Gunbroker - user name bigbasscat - see what left California before Roberti-Roos
Old 01-06-2010, 6:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty1 View Post
Yes most at OCDO have stood down. All of the original and some of the new crowd. But it only takes one to over turn the apple cart. I'm at wits end over this bay area news coverage and the San Pedro false arrest for concealed carry and the arrest "protest" event...

Please sign up over there and PM the ringleaders and USE LOGIC to PERSUADE. Do not belittle as that may close off consideration of your ideas.
If I thought it would do any good I would. But they think they are right and no amount of information or conversation will do any good. Once they get their face on TV and think they are celebrities, they will run with it, even if it means they run it right into the ground.

I do belive that if they do screw this whole thing up, that they be held accountable for THEIR actions!!!
Old 01-06-2010, 6:14 AM

Just in case no one actually saw it (like me)...
http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/video?id=7203032

also... video from the Livermore gathering:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZzNQhSUKjo
Old 01-06-2010, 6:34 AM

Quote:
"I think it's kind of archaic," Livermore resident Grant Balfour told ABC7. He and a friend sat on a nearby bench watching while the officers frisked Stanley. "I don't see any Indians or cowboys running up and down the street. I think it's time to grow up."
Silly archaic Bill of Rights, I mean sheesh, how old is that darn thing?!

However, I do agree that the UOC crowd is pressing all the wrong buttons on the machine at the moment. I was posting in another thread where they were comparing themselves to the Black Civil Rights Movement of the 60's. I had to disagree with that viewpoint.
Yeah but it is best when you can walk up to the hog and not be afraid to put the barrel on its forehead at the correct angle and then pull the trigger, or if you let the hog charge you with the pistol holstered then draw down when the hog is 6 feet away and let him have it, thatís the exciting way to take a hog.