Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 01-01-2010, 11:06 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Default Levang Linear Muzzle Brake

Levang Linear muzzle brake . . . .

Tried one? What did you think?

I'm considering one for my 20" AR varmint gun.
Old 01-02-2010, 12:04 AM
Veteran Member

Ive read that they dont really reduce recoil much but theyre great at reducing noise heard by the shooter. I think I did hear that it is a tad heavy. If your a hunter, dont like to hunt with hearing protection, and you dont mind that little bit of extra weight, it seems like it would be a good idea to have.

Check out my LMT .308 AR
Quote:
Originally Posted by kotton View Post
I have to try that method of attaching the front of a sling to the gun via pubic hair.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bomb_on_bus View Post
Best part of buying that stock is it comes with its own complimentary jar of anal lube! There were several flavors to choose from, regular, hot cinnamon, or bacon. Im a man of danger so I chose Hot cinnamon to use with my bump fire buttstock.
Old 01-02-2010, 6:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpach View Post
Ive read that they dont really reduce recoil much but theyre great at reducing noise heard by the shooter. I think I did hear that it is a tad heavy. If your a hunter, dont like to hunt with hearing protection, and you dont mind that little bit of extra weight, it seems like it would be a good idea to have.
Yeah, I read that also, I was hoping to hear from an actual user to see just how effective they are at cutting down on noise.
Old 01-02-2010, 6:49 AM

I read a article on brakes and this one was rated last in reducing recoil.
Article was in USPSA's Front Sight Magazine. Writer did a lot of testing on about 12 and the Levang did nothing. I have one and I am going to replace it with a Micluck.
Old 01-02-2010, 7:07 AM

[QUOTE=3GunFunShooter;3579637]I read a article on brakes and this one was rated last in reducing recoil.
Article was in USPSA's Front Sight Magazine. Writer did a lot of testing on about 12 and the Levang did nothing. I have one and I am going to replace it with a Micluck.[/QUO

Found that article too. I have the Micluck brake on both of the 16" AR's we use for three gun. And while their effectiveness in reducing recoil and controlling muzzle climb is unquestionable, they are freakin LOUD! Plugs and muffs loud. I popped a a couple of coyotes attacking my dogs a while back (two shots, no hearing protection) and my hearing was jacked for two days. Way worse than shooting a couple mags in a AR with the standard birdcage hider without hearing protection. So the idea was to put the Levang on my 20" varmint gun so if I had to take a shot with no hearing protection it would not make my ears bleed.
Old 01-02-2010, 7:18 AM

I have had them for way over 10 years. While .223 recoil is not really an issue, it does keep muzzle rise down. Seems to recoil more "straight line". the redirecting of sound is very nice. Understand, this the comp DOES NOT REDUCE SOUND, to do so would be ILLEGAL, it REDIRECTS the noise forward.

perhaps,there is a reduction in the perceived level of sound when standing along side and rearward of the rifle, would be a clearer statement.

We wouldn't want to lose muzzle brakes altogether in this state because of some misconcieved notion that they are tantamount to silencers.

A few misspoken words can cause a chain of events, this forum is closely monitored by those who would take statements made without forethought and run with them for their own political gain.

on a heavy barrel bench/varmit gun they don't look bad at all, personal taste I guess.

I think they look cool. Not too tactical.

That out of the way, I would say try it, and see for yourself. I like them.
"There's no way to rule innocent men. The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws" From Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand

Last edited by coop44; 01-02-2010 at 7:31 AM..
Old 01-02-2010, 10:39 AM
Calguns Addict
CGN Contributor

love mine. have one on my ar and one on my su16. they reduce muzzle climb and the sounds heard by the shooter. recoil is so low any way i do not care about reducing it. i have shot of 30 rounds befor i remembered to put on my ears and i had no pain after. im a fan of them.
Old 01-02-2010, 11:00 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Gonna be putting one on a diplomat. Friend of mine has one on his SBR, its great at redirecting the sound, smaller than a KX3 and not as bulky.
There really isn't a need for reduced recoil on a 5.56...
Old 01-02-2010, 11:39 AM

I have one.. I'm not sure if it really does anything, but it does look clean.
Old 01-02-2010, 12:40 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by technique View Post
Gonna be putting one on a diplomat. Friend of mine has one on his SBR, its great at redirecting the sound, smaller than a KX3 and not as bulky.
There really isn't a need for reduced recoil on a 5.56...
Bingo!

Since ARs pretty much have sissy recoil, one might as well throw this baby on if they refuse to wear hearing protection or just in case coyotes try to eat your dogs and you dont have time to put hearing protection on.

Ima get one. I wish they made them for .308.

I know that the Bison Armory guy on the 6.8 forums opened up the "center hole" on a linear comp to work on a 6.8 SPC, I wonder if it can be opened up for a .308 and withstand the pressures.

Any thoughts?

Check out my LMT .308 AR
Quote:
I have to try that method of attaching the front of a sling to the gun via pubic hair.
Quote:
Best part of buying that stock is it comes with its own complimentary jar of anal lube! There were several flavors to choose from, regular, hot cinnamon, or bacon. Im a man of danger so I chose Hot cinnamon to use with my bump fire buttstock.
Old 01-02-2010, 12:46 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Bingo!

Since ARs pretty much have sissy recoil, one might as well throw this baby on if they refuse to wear hearing protection or just in case coyotes try to eat your dogs and you dont have time to put hearing protection on.

Ima get one. I wish they made them for .308.

I know that the Bison Armory guy on the 6.8 forums opened up the "center hole" on a linear comp to work on a 6.8 SPC, I wonder if it can be opened up for a .308 and withstand the pressures.

Any thoughts?
Probly. I had a KX3 opened up for .458...
Old 01-04-2010, 4:49 AM

have one on my mini14. I feel, it does what it is designed to do. And it looks good too.

USPSA CRO
MEMBER: USPSA GSSF Richmond Rod & Gun

Help VSA help the troops.

http://veteranssportsmanalliance.org/
Old 01-04-2010, 11:25 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by technique View Post
Probly. I had a KX3 opened up for .458...
Thats awesome. Do you think that the Levang will have any trouble with the .308s pressure? I dont want to pull the trigger and get chunks of metal embedded in my skull ha

Check out my LMT .308 AR
Quote:
Quote:
Old 07-01-2010, 5:57 AM

If anyone can post a video, I will send you the video to post of a muzzle brake that is the best I've seen.
Old 07-01-2010, 8:34 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bug Splat View Post
love mine. have one on my ar and one on my su16. they reduce muzzle climb and the sounds heard by the shooter. recoil is so low any way i do not care about reducing it. i have shot of 30 rounds befor i remembered to put on my ears and i had no pain after. im a fan of them.
I agree with that.
I use them on 3 of my AR rifles to help with the noise while capping varmints.
They work well to help reduce the noise to the shooter sans ear plugs.
Muzzle brake to control recoil on an AR in 556 is not an issue for me.
"Find out just what the people will submit to and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them and these will continue until they are resisted with either words or blows, or with both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress."
-- Frederick Douglass --

“I didn’t know I was a slave until I found out I couldn’t do the things I wanted.”
– Frederick Douglass --
Old 07-09-2010, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyGuns View Post
If anyone can post a video, I will send you the video to post of a muzzle brake that is the best I've seen.
www.youtube.com

You need to upload pics from your computer.
Old 07-09-2010, 11:34 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Just keep in mind this is a feature of an AW, no featureless builds. Mag lock only builds

Quote:
This steel compensator reduces muzzle blast by directing escaping gasses forward and away from the shooter, while reducing muzzle climb
Old 07-09-2010, 11:51 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselpower View Post
Just keep in mind this is a feature of an AW, no featureless builds. Mag lock only builds
Why ? Does it suppress sound for flash ?
Old 07-09-2010, 12:58 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1988 View Post
Why ? Does it suppress sound for flash ?
IDK, never used one, but the manufacturer and vendors market it as "reduces muzzle blast by redirecting gasses away from the shooter"

But "......flash suppressor means any device designed, intended, or that functions to reduce or redirect muzzle flash from the shooter’s field of vision,......”

Its a personal choice I guess, just too close for me.
Old 07-09-2010, 2:13 PM
Veteran Member

I actually ended up getting one of these recently for my 16" upper. Not sure if it reduces recoil or even redirects the sound enough that I could notice, but thats because I havent shot with it off. Maybe I will some day but for now its going to stay on anyways. It still does make my ears ring without hearing protection but I dont really care because typically I nail rabbits on the 1st shot anyways. I like it either way.

Check out my LMT .308 AR
Quote:
Quote:
Old 07-09-2010, 2:29 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Thats awesome. Do you think that the Levang will have any trouble with the .308s pressure? I dont want to pull the trigger and get chunks of metal embedded in my skull ha
.30cal, 5/8x24

9in., .300 whisper
Old 07-09-2010, 3:04 PM

i had one made for me in SS:

Old 07-09-2010, 3:38 PM
Veteran Member

VERY nice Tech. Youd better have a suppressor for that as well

IGorts, where did you get that made? Its very slick. I likes.

Check out my LMT .308 AR
Quote:
Quote:
Old 07-09-2010, 5:47 PM

[QUOTE=

IGorts, where did you get that made? Its very slick. I likes.[/QUOTE]

Mike Peak peaktactical@gmail.com made it, tell him you got his info from calguns, from Igor
he can index if required for other designs. and make to order at very reasonable prices.
Old 07-09-2010, 6:20 PM

That's the one you have to put on with a strap wrench correct? Any issues installing it?
Old 07-09-2010, 6:33 PM
Veteran Member

The Levang does a good job of directing everything forward but I didn't feel a big change in felt recoil (it's not a compensator) - but nice nonetheless.

Not to thread-cap but if someone wants one, I have one to sell. $25. PM me.
Old 07-09-2010, 6:59 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Ive read that they dont really reduce recoil much but theyre great at reducing noise heard by the shooter.
This. I have two.
“Political tags — such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth — are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.” — Robert A. Heinlein

“It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds” — Samuel Adams