Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Hunting and Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Hunting and Fishing Rifle, Shotgun, Handgun, Archery, Blackpowder Saltwater and Fresh Water

Old 12-30-2009, 2:42 PM
Veteran Member
CGN Contributor

Default Best gear for rock fishing?

I'm wondering, namely for ling cod, what have you found works well so far as lures go??? Do you prefer just a ling bar or do you use the colored lures?
I've also been told to let the lure hit the ocean floor and then reel up, let it back down, up, back down. Basically, the noise makes the ling curious, and the motion triggers the prey drive-is this true? I haven't had a chance to try it out yet, so I'm wondering if anyone knows from experience.

Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by M. Sage View Post
Testicles of steel, bladder of titanium.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceflinch View Post
F the World Bank
F the UN &
F Obama

Sacramento Community Chapter Social Group... Join Here!
Old 12-30-2009, 3:25 PM
Cattle Thieves Pro Staff

Drop the bar to the bottom, then jig that ling bar and hold on.

224 rounds of high quality Winchester .223 FS/FT - $180

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1226164
Old 12-30-2009, 3:49 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I use a 8 oz bar off a kayak. Drop to the bottom on bring up about 6-12" and just raise and lower the pole tip. I always come home with a least one ling a trip and some other types also. Keep a good grip on the pole.

jerry.
Old 12-30-2009, 3:51 PM

F&G is allowing you to keep Lings? I threw mine back a few months ago.
Old 12-30-2009, 3:52 PM

Catch a small rock fish and leave him on the bottom........

Diamond bars work ok, so do other types of jigs, but the best I have ever found for lings is the same as what I drag for Halibut. Whole anchovies, herring, or squid threaded with a flasher 18" up on a 3 way swivel.
Old 12-30-2009, 3:56 PM
Veteran Member
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinspool View Post
F&G is allowing you to keep Lings? I threw mine back a few months ago.
I'm kicking myself because I can't remember off hand, but if they are the legal size, they're fine to keep. There is a limit to the quanitity also. I want to say 14" and maximum 2 per day per person, but I don't want to say for certain. Somebody else will likely know!

btw, last time we went out was in June... so unless somethings has changed, they're still legal.

CORRECTION... my husband just reminded me. It's cabazone that are around 14", lings have to be at least 22", but some years the regs mandate larger.
Quote:
Originally Posted by M. Sage View Post
Testicles of steel, bladder of titanium.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceflinch View Post
F the World Bank
F the UN &
F Obama

Sacramento Community Chapter Social Group... Join Here!

Last edited by NorCalMama; 12-30-2009 at 4:29 PM..
Old 12-30-2009, 7:54 PM
Veteran Member

Salas and Tandy irons work well .....favorite are 6x size in green and yellow, blue tiger stripe. 6x is a good size for shallow water( to 150ft)

If you hit the bottom and don't reel up asap 12" you will snag every time at $10.00 a pop....touch the bottom and lift...do not drag the bottom!

A nice trick is to tie a shrimp fly 24" above the lure.....Chaser Rig style

Last edited by Thefeeder; 12-30-2009 at 8:04 PM..
Old 12-30-2009, 10:57 PM
Well used Member
CGN Contributor

I've had great success with a standard cod bait rig. The bait rig has one dropper loop 12 inches above the sinker loop and a second dropper loop 24 inches above the first with a barrel swivel at the top. I like a breakaway sinker on the bottom, that way if it gets snagged from the fish running you don't lose the fish. When possible, I use live anchovies as bait. Also mackerel, shrimp, and squid work as well. Hit the bottom, then reel it up a bit. You definitely don't want it to drag. The swivels will make noise, or you could buy a rig with beads on the droppers. This rig works well to 300'+. Much deeper than that and you should be looking at a deep drop rig.

Another is to use a cod jig rig. The jig rig has one dropper loop 24 inches above the sinker loop and 10 inches below the barrel swivel. I don't have favorite jig since I seldom use them. Get a few suggestions for the area you're fishing in and bring several of each. You never know what the fish will like.

These are typical examples of rigs you can readily buy at any tackle shop. You can always mix and match rig types if you or someone with you can tie a rig. Down in Baja it is legal to fish with four hooks on a bait rig, and we'd typically use a four hook setup. Use a snap on the line and you can quickly change rigs if something isn't working out. Watch out for the sculpin.

"Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something."--Plato
Old 12-31-2009, 8:34 AM

Default ling cod

Use a Sumo 24 oz banana jig and put a sand dab on the hook. If you have a reel with 50 lb or heavier spectra that would work the best. If Im using a jig with a treble hook then I will drag it on the bottom because you can pull the hook if it gets snaged. However when fishing with a single hook those are much stronger and dont pull off the rock as easy. If you can find them a Tady 15 really works great. Trust me I know a little about iron.
Old 12-31-2009, 8:39 AM

Default Lingcod

Best rigs for Lingcod I have used over the last 10 years would have to be an Octopus. A close second would be a Sanddab. Sliding sinker to a nice swivel and 3ft of flouro leader tied to 2 Owner 2x Trebles.

I have a few SIXpack Charter boats down here that are fantastic at targeting big Lings, season should open in June. And over the years I have come to like Ling more than Halibut

Regards,
Mike