Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 06-30-2014, 2:10 PM

Default My new Saiga project

Well, decided to get back into the AK game. Still have my retro AR, PTR-91, and USGI M1 Carbine, though.

My first AK was a Chinese Poly-tech I got in the 1980s, that I sold in about 2000 when I disability retired. I kept the magazines, though. I even carried it as a trunk weapon on the S.O. for awhile, until the Sheriff saw me with it on a high profile drug raid he showed up at, and said it looked "too evil!"

For the 4 year sojurn of living in free America, I had several Yugo M70s VZ58, WASRs,IO (terrible weapon), and about 5 or 6 Saigas that I restored to original configuration: pistol grip, handguard retainers, AK103 breaks, etc. Sold the last of them when I moved back to California in 2011.

I still have my legally possessed in California pre-1-1-2000 magazines. This one (which should be at my LGS tomorrow to start its 10 day jail sentence) I will keep stock (featureless, no pistol grip or muzzle devices) using just enough 922R parts to use my high caps.: Tapco followers, Tapco Piston, Tapco hammer and disconnector. I may put a RAM ambi speed catch on it, too. I had one on a AK103 build and liked it.

I have a scarce Saiga factory dragunov thumbhole stock for when I leave the state (or maybe with a Solar Tactical Kydex paddle). nIt is only one 922R part, and only counts as a stock for 922 parts count. I actually like the feel of it. I hate the feel of the Tapco T-6 Saiga stock/pistol grip. UGH. The dragunov feels pretty good, though.

I will keep everyone posted.

Last edited by imarangemaster; 07-01-2014 at 12:10 AM..
Old 06-30-2014, 10:40 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by imarangemaster View Post
My first AK was a Chinese Poly-tech I got in the 1980s, that I sold in about 2000 when I disability retired. I kept the magazines, though.
Sure you did lol. Me too

Even though I was only 10 years old.

btw this is def the best place to buy Saigas right now. Free shipping and they are very willing to work with me in the past. Dont know if they have AK BB's but your FFL can install one so no biggy.

http://legionusainc.com/saiga-vepr-rifles-for-sale.html

Last edited by geoint; 06-30-2014 at 10:43 PM..
Old 07-01-2014, 12:05 AM

Talking

Haha! Seriously I do still have them. I still have my original registration for Chicom Type 56 and my AR15 SP1 Carbine that I registered in 1990. Being 62 years old, having been an FFL for 25 years, military 6 years, and LEO 20+ years, I had and still do have lots of pre-2000 mags for my 30 Carbine, AR15 (featureless), PTR-91 .308, and now Saiga. I even had qualified on the SO with the Carbine, AR`15, AK, Ruger mini 14 and 30, FN FAL, HK91, and M1A

I even have some mags for weapons that I no longer have. Back in the day, I did lots of gunshows and Shotgun News sales of military weapons parts, accessories, and magazines from 1988 to about 2000. I literally used to have cases of different mags I sold.
Old 07-01-2014, 11:05 AM
Calguns Addict

Just convert it and use a grip wrap... trigger so much better....
Old 07-01-2014, 4:21 PM

I've done 5 or 6 full conversions on Saigas. Just don't want to go there. I want featureless for my high caps. I don't care about how "cool" it looks, and don't want to mess with a Kydex paddle.
Old 07-01-2014, 4:24 PM

What is this thread about? How is buying a factory saiga (whatever that is)and keeping it factory a project?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ir0nclash86 View Post
I would wipe it off for the simple fact of not wanting to get sprayed in the face with it during the first few rounds.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ride Madone View Post
It does not matter.An AR is the very best and safest weapon to use for home defence.
Old 07-01-2014, 4:41 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by SocomM4 View Post
What is this thread about? How is buying a factory Saiga (whatever that is)and keeping it factory a project?
I am talking about keeping it original, just swapping enough 922 parts so you can use pre-2000 possessed high caps if you have them. Externally, it will look the same.
Old 07-26-2014, 2:27 AM

Default Update

Ok, finally up and rolling. Took out the factory hammer and disconector/sear assembly Took a new Tapco G2 double hook FCG and modified it. Hammer is the same, but cut the trigger off the bottom of the Tapco to mimic the the factory set up. I also had to do MAJOR reconfiguring of the the sear block inself, so it would fit. After some aggrivation, however, it slipped in perfect. For now I left out the bolt hold open, but I will go back in and fit it later, as I like it. The modified Tapco (counts as 2 or maybe 3 922R parts) is really smooth. While there is the typical stock trigger linkage, the Tapco stuff smoothed it out a lot. It should shoot fairly well for a stock weapon. It makes such a difference in the pull, it is worth doing to an unconverted Saiga, even if you don't need/want 922R parts.

I further modified the Tapco hammer and re-installed the bolt hold open, just because I could (and I like it) I don't know whether my hands are more arthritic, or I have gotten clumsier, but it was a pain and took forever. Back in the day when I was "restoring" Saigas in "Free America", a little dental floss and a needle nose pliers, and it only took minutes. This time, it almost went out the window in frustration!

I got a Tapco Saiga handguard from Ebay. I got the handguard mounted, and the rails. At this point, I don't plan on mounting anything to the rails, though I like the extra heft of them on the handguard. I am putting on low profile "ladder" rail covers for grip.

I know this will horrify the AK pureists, but I actually like the Tapco Saiga handguard better than the short AK stock grip. I have even used it on other builds, conversions with standard AK pistol grip and stock. It really prevents the "AK Sizzle" of the small handguards and hot barrels. Tapco handguards get a bad rap from AK purists, but it is really not deserved.

I do know that about 5 years ago, a member of the Saiga12 7.62x39 forum (YWHIC or Chevyman097??) got a Saiga soo hot firing a zillion rounds through it in an incredibly short time doing mag dumps, that he started to melt the mounting block. I personally would not want to get my weapon that hot unless being overwhelmed by Cuban paratroopers (a la "Red Dawn"). There is a reason we had changable barrels on our "pigs" (M60 machine guns). I have fired 300 to 400 rounds in a range session from several Saigas with the Tapco handguard, and never melted the block the sliughtest bit. I'm just sayin.... I do plan on fabricating a heat shield in it like I have done before. (one more 922R part.

My "legally possessed by me in California prior 1-1-2000" 30 rounders are a mixed batch of Com-Bloc metal milsurps, I picked up back in the 90s (when I still had my Poly-Tech AK RAW) for a few bucks each. All have Tapco followers (one more 922R part). I installed a round trunnion bullet guide from Carolina Shooters Supply, and trimmed the mag catch so I can use the high-caps in it. I have about a dozen of the metal 30s, several Tapco 10 rounders for range, and two Saiga factory mags, modified to fit with bullet guide installed.

I have the Saiga factory Dragunov stock for when I am in free America. I actually reallylike the feel and balance, and the adjustable cheek rest for scope use. More of a rifle feel than a AK with stubby stock. I do not like the feel of the Tapco T-6. If that was the only option, I would go with a full conversion and Kydex paddle.

I found a knock-off of a Midwest Industries low-rise, side mount scope rail and put my Tasco "Accudot" 1X red dot scope on it. I got turned on to the Accu-dot (now out of production) a number of years ago by deer hunters using 3" and 3.5" mag shorguns in the midwest. Al metal, impervious to recoil, waterproof, front and rear screw in sunshades and a flash repressing filter on the front. When theywere in production 10-15 years ago, they were abour $160-$200, IIRC. I had one on a 300 Blackout M4gery build I had, and loved it. I picked this one up on EBAY, NOS, still in the box for about $60.

I only use red dots in low light, however, as I am a hard-core iron sight shooter. I got an AKM 1000 yard rear sight leaf from APEX, and relaced the factory 300 yard. While Saigas usually come pretty close to zero from the factory, I picked up a Tapco AK front sight tool. I like the tapco, and it is milled for the round bumps on the sides of the Saiga FSB. It does not rock when you use it. I sight dead on POA/POI at 25 yards on the 200 yard setting. That usually puts it dead on at 200, and you can drop the sight to 100 setting for closer work.

Last edited by imarangemaster; 07-26-2014 at 2:37 AM..
Old 07-26-2014, 2:51 AM

pix?

N.I.C.S. = Nix

Full Definition of Nix
: veto, reject <the court nixed the merger>

Old 07-26-2014, 3:06 AM

Pixs to follow. I'm leaving to go camping with my grandson right after work in the morning, so it will be Monday after I get back.
Old 07-26-2014, 3:27 AM

nice, im doing something similar to mine.

ive got the tapco handguard on it (if you do plan on mounting things i suggest getting aluminum rails, my longer bottom rail snapped from a bipod after 200 or so rounds)

im also going with the tapco fcg, and i shortened the stock 4" and am adding a 1/2" thick grind to fit recoil pad (ran into trouble with mounting holes so its time for some jb weld)

edit to add: have fun camping!
Old 07-26-2014, 4:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidb View Post
nice, im doing something similar to mine.

ive got the tapco handguard on it (if you do plan on mounting things i suggest getting aluminum rails, my longer bottom rail snapped from a bipod after 200 or so rounds)

im also going with the tapco fcg, and i shortened the stock 4" and am adding a 1/2" thick grind to fit recoil pad (ran into trouble with mounting holes so its time for some jb weld)

edit to add: have fun camping!
I am actually thinking about replacing the factory stock with a K-Var Nato length stock (1.5 inch longer than standard AK stock, but about 3 inches shorter than the factory stock). It should work well with the factory trigger, and give about the same lenght of pull as the Saiganov thumbhole stock.

To use the Tapco saer block after you grind off the trigger, you need to replicate the dimensions of the factory set up.: some off the bottom of the tail end where the lever engages and some off the front edge, too. It really is worth it, though.
Old 07-26-2014, 12:55 PM

Wolverines !!!!
Old 07-26-2014, 1:00 PM
Calguns Addict

I'm ready

Brand New Weaver V3 1-3x20 scope $149
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...1#post18216039
Old 07-28-2014, 11:26 AM

UPDATES with pixs! Before anyone in California wets themselves and starts pointing fingers screaming "felon" for the 2nd and 3rd pictures, they were taken in Southern Oregon where we went camping with my grandson and daughter....

California "Featureless"

Configured for "Free America"

Old 07-28-2014, 4:04 PM

Looks very good

How does that thumbhole style stock feel? Does it mess up the trigger pull at all?
Old 07-28-2014, 4:10 PM
Calguns Addict

cool mag pouches

Brand New Weaver V3 1-3x20 scope $149
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...1#post18216039
Old 07-28-2014, 7:48 PM

I actually like the thumbhole a lot. It doesn't mess up trigger pull at all, and feels very natural.
Old 07-28-2014, 8:02 PM

yeah..its awesome how people scream about pre-2000 magazines on this board..alot and never bother to even figure alot of people on cal guns are over 22 and have owned guns and evil 30 round mags for a long time...and it annoys me that people have to actually defend themselves about owning these mags...when we should all be screaming that we all should have these mags...I like your saiga project.,..its kind of similar to what I did with my siaga..
Old 07-28-2014, 8:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvs762 View Post
yeah..its awesome how people scream about pre-2000 magazines on this board..alot and never bother to even figure alot of people on cal guns are over 22 and have owned guns and evil 30 round mags for a long time...and it annoys me that people have to actually defend themselves about owning these mags...when we should all be screaming that we all should have these mags...I like your saiga project.,..its kind of similar to what I did with my siaga..
I agree.
Old 07-28-2014, 8:24 PM

It is funny. I'm 62 years old, was LEO and military for 26 years, has an FFL in CA for 25 years, sold mags wholesale in the 80s and 90s in Shotgun News and gunshows, had a Roberti-Roos registered AK and AR, and carried a wide variety of semi-autos as duty weapons prior to 2000. Yet envious people roll their eyes and say "sure you had them prior to 1-1-2000" Why is that so hard to believe?????
Old 07-28-2014, 8:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Click Boom View Post
cool mag pouches
The cloth one is Yugoslavian, and the vinyl one is Hungarian. I really like the Hungarian one as my "snatch and grab" pouch. Has pouches for oil bottle and cleaning kit, and 5 cells for mags.

With one mag in the weapon and the five in the pouch, it is 180 rounds of whoop-***. I have a 30 with Hollow points in the weapon, two more mags of hollow points, and three of Chinese steel core in the bag. I tried a chest rig years ago, but it was a pain, and not nearly as handy.
Old 07-28-2014, 9:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imarangemaster View Post
It is funny. I'm 62 years old, was LEO and military for 26 years, has an FFL in CA for 25 years, sold mags wholesale in the 80s and 90s in Shotgun News and gunshows, had a Roberti-Roos registered AK and AR, and carried a wide variety of semi-autos as duty weapons prior to 2000. Yet envious people roll their eyes and say "sure you had them prior to 1-1-2000" Why is that so hard to believe?????
Guys your age don't know how to use the interwebz...
Old 07-28-2014, 9:16 PM

ah..you mean bull**** games and insults..guess not..we'll just sit back and enjoy our RAWS and real mags...
Old 07-28-2014, 9:25 PM

Pfft? 2000, I've had a few mags since 91, my dad was deep into the gun show parts selling scene before he died . I have a few mags for guns I don't even own, or even know wtf gun they are for. Someday I hope to.

Brought back Memories of Manteca sportsman club in the early 90 s. There used to be Rendezvous out there that were just huge parties and drunk ppl all over the place at night , then sick *** shooting stuff in the day. You could just take over one of the out buildings and camp out there. Fun times.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ir0nclash86 View Post
I would wipe it off for the simple fact of not wanting to get sprayed in the face with it during the first few rounds.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ride Madone View Post
It does not matter.An AR is the very best and safest weapon to use for home defence.

Last edited by SocomM4; 07-28-2014 at 9:36 PM..
Old 07-28-2014, 10:38 PM

Talking MAGS

Ha, I have mags going back to the 70s!