Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 12-11-2005, 9:38 AM

Default Marlin .45-70 or .450 Marlin lever actions?

I don't know which one to buy. I haven't looked at the availability and price of the .450 Marlin ammo. I know .45-70 is readily available at almost all ammo retailers. Plus I'm sure the price is cheaper.

But.... I like the fact that the .450 Marlin is a "hotter" round as far as factory ammo goes. I'm not into reloading and don't intend to get into it either.

Im just bumbed that the Marlin .450 only comes in a short 18 1/2" bbl. I wish it were a bit more longer. I'm more of a traditionalist when it comes to the lever action guns.

I'd use the gun for brush hunting and for black bears under 100 yards.

What do you think/suggest?

....Thanks.
Old 12-14-2005, 12:25 AM
Janitors assistant
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Anyone that knows me has seen my addiction to the Marlin 45-70 grow. Stay away from the 450 unless you dont reload or ever want to reload. With the model 1895 you can load to desireable velocity without approaching dangerous pressure levels. I dont play around near the red line on ammo and have been satisfied with the results. Only Extremo (a member on these boards) can take 405 GR. full loads for long. I find the 300 and 350 grain hotter loads to be extremely fun to shoot. I can teach you to reload if you are in Northern California.

Did I mention I am addicted?