Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 12-28-2009, 10:50 PM
Veteran Member

Default Brass catcher for Ruger Ranch/Mini 14

I'm using the E&L Rigid Brass Catcher, which works amazingly well. But now that I've installed a railed scope mount it doesn't fit anymore. Will the UTG Brass Catcher for the AR fit the Ruger?

"You know the real difference between you and me?"
"Yeah. Denial."

Toys I'm looking for (PPT/used): Ruger P93 (compact), Thompson Contender receiver and barrels

Stuff for sale:
WTS Beretta Tomcat Parts Kit Formica Sample Case
Old 12-29-2009, 12:42 AM
Calguns Addict

i met someone that uses the utg and they said it's a pos. once the brass starts piling up, it'll start sliding/twisting so that you'll get FTEs. this was on an AR though.
Old 12-29-2009, 1:13 AM
Veteran Member

hmm, good to know. I haven't met anyone nor seen anyone that has a UTG brass catcher. I know that E&L has a Universal Brass Catcher that fits /locks onto the rails. I don't know about spending another $50 on just a brass catcher, but it saves me time from scrounging for my brass and keeps it from flying out about 5 yards and pelting the people around me!

"Yeah. Denial."

Toys I'm looking for (PPT/used): Ruger P93 (compact), Thompson Contender receiver and barrels

Stuff for sale:
Old 12-29-2009, 1:17 AM
In Memoriam

As fast, far and hard as the Mini flings brass I'd think you'd need a hockey goalie to catch the brass.

When I hit the lotto I'm only shooting factory.
Old 12-29-2009, 5:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randy View Post
As fast, far and hard as the Mini flings brass I'd think you'd need a hockey goalie to catch the brass.
Replace the gas port bushing to a .040 and your brass will be landing about 5-6 feet at the 2 o'clock position. While you got things disassembled. install front and back recoil buffers. Mini's are pretty hard on optics, installing buffers will prolong the life of your inexpensive optic you may have.

http://www.perfectunion.com/vb/showthread.php?t=43577

http://www.perfectunion.com/vb/showthread.php?t=70343

USPSA CRO
MEMBER: USPSA GSSF Richmond Rod & Gun

Help VSA help the troops.

http://veteranssportsmanalliance.org/

Last edited by prc77; 12-29-2009 at 6:33 AM..
Old 12-29-2009, 9:23 AM
Calguns Addict
CGN Contributor

Quote:
HAHA so true. I was at the range this past weekend and doing my best to keep my AR brass from hitting the guy to my right. I apologized to the man to which he replied... "Oh don't worry about it. At least its not a mini-14."

I have not been impressed with the brass catchers I have seen. Many look heavy or unstable. For years I keep saying I should just make my own that locks onto the pic rails. Maybe I will actually sit down and do it.
Old 12-29-2009, 10:04 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by prc77 View Post
Replace the gas port bushing to a .040 and your brass will be landing about 5-6 feet at the 2 o'clock position. While you got things disassembled. install front and back recoil buffers. Mini's are pretty hard on optics, installing buffers will prolong the life of your inexpensive optic you may have.

http://www.perfectunion.com/vb/showthread.php?t=43577

http://www.perfectunion.com/vb/showthread.php?t=70343
I read about tuning the gas port to control the ejection "velocity" and placement. I'll have to look into that again. It's that or jimmy-rig a catcher. When I have the E&L on my Ranch w/ the Factory folder, you can hear the A-Team theme running through your head!

When I'm at the range, everyone who sees the big plastic box thinks the catcher holds belted ammo, I just look at them funny then nod and go "yeah."

"Yeah. Denial."

Stuff for sale:
Old 12-29-2009, 10:15 AM

I have the UTG and can confirm that you get a few rounds of brass in there and it pulls down enough to stop the next brass from getting into the bag, then the next brass can't even get into the mouth and you get FTEs.

So I leave the bottom unzippered so the brass just drops onto the bench or at my feet. Works great.
Old 12-29-2009, 11:23 AM

Quote:
That made me LOL
“Obama is the weakest of U.S. presidents, he had humiliating defeats in the region. Under him the Islamic awakening happened.” “Americans witnessed their greatest defeats in Obama’s era: Terrorism expanded, [the] U.S. had huge defeats under Obama [and] that is why they want to compromise with Iran.”

Ali Younesi, senior advisor to the Iranian President.
Old 12-29-2009, 2:22 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bug Splat View Post
HAHA so true. I was at the range this past weekend and doing my best to keep my AR brass from hitting the guy to my right. I apologized to the man to which he replied... "Oh don't worry about it. At least its not a mini-14."

I have not been impressed with the brass catchers I have seen. Many look heavy or unstable. For years I keep saying I should just make my own that locks onto the pic rails. Maybe I will actually sit down and do it.
If you can do something like this for $20-30, I'd buy one. Utilizing an aluminum or polymer frame with a ballistic nylon or canvas bag and zippered bottom then it should work. The hard plastic takes up a lot of room and make stowing it away cumbersome.

"Yeah. Denial."

Stuff for sale:
Old 12-29-2009, 6:58 PM

Ain't that a fact, I was shooting recently two stalls away from someone and I was getting hit in the back of the head with hot brass.

Quote:
Old 12-29-2009, 7:24 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueSniper View Post
I don't know about spending another $50 on just a brass catcher, but it saves me time from scrounging for my brass and keeps it from flying out about 5 yards and pelting the people around me!
Here.. .under $15... could be cheaper if you get the right set of bolts with a wing nut instead of using C-clamps (which I already had). don't even really need the copper wire.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...7&postcount=12

Also, it's a "shooting" range. Whomever *****es to you about brass, what do they expect to happen. It's a courtesy that we try to avoid showing our neighbors with brass. But for those that don't have catchers, what are they suppose to do? Sit around until the other shooter is done before the session ends? I do see this happening more on ranges with benches closer together than usual. I had this happen to me 2 weeks ago with someone shooting a .40 s&w. even with the benches pretty spaced apart, it was catching me every 5 shots or something. sometimes, almost at my face. but it's a range. gotta expect it to happen. unless the guy had a 8ft tall board, ain't gonna prevent the brass from hitting me.