Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Technology and Internet
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Technology and Internet Emerging and current tech related issues. Internet, DRM, IP, and other technology related discussions.

Old 12-26-2009, 6:36 PM

Default New Bluray, aspect ratio not so good.

So I just got a Samsung BD1600 Bluray for Christmas. Awesome. Also got Band of Brothers on Bluray. awesome again. Bummer is right now I have a standard (non HD non flat screen, non super cool) TV. I hooked it all up this morning, and after setting it up, started the disk. The picture was squashed (see: no black bars top and bottom). I went back in the video setup menu, and changed the aspect to play as standard (not 16:9). Still squashed. I tried every aspect ratio and it wouldn't change. I put in a DVD, and it was letterboxed. Is Band of Brothers non- letterboxed on standard TV's? Obviously I am new to this upscale park avenue movie watchin', so I'm out of my element. I know I really need a nice 42" LCD, but not in the cards for now. I'd still like to enjoy Band of Brothers as it should be on my TV.

Also, I noticed this BR player can stream netflix and pandora, but I need to buy a Wireless USB Adaptor. Anyone have experience with this? I don't want to drop $75 on something that isn't what I think it's gonna be.

Thanks!
Old 12-27-2009, 9:59 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbok View Post
Is Band of Brothers non- letterboxed on standard TV's?

I'm going to mostly ignore everything else, as you already know you really need a new TV to get the right image from the BD player..

On to the question I quoted: Take a look at the package for the discs, it should tell you the aspect ratio of the content. Amazon claims it is 1.78:1, so that should completely fill a widescreen TV without any black borders. I've never tried to play a BD disc on an SD display, and it's probably not a very supported use case. Since the SD DVD works, it may be how the player operates when you try to play HD content out to an SD display... Sorry I can't be of more help, but you might want to try calling the manufacturer of the player tomorrow to find out for sure if that's a supported configuration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalK9.com View Post
Also dont worry if u have never built one once you go to a build party you will know everything and have a perfect functioning rifle.

Last edited by TonyM; 12-27-2009 at 10:02 AM..
Old 12-27-2009, 11:48 AM
Super Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbok View Post
So I just got a Samsung BD1600 Bluray for Christmas. Awesome. Also got Band of Brothers on Bluray. awesome again. Bummer is right now I have a standard (non HD non flat screen, non super cool) TV. I hooked it all up this morning, and after setting it up, started the disk. The picture was squashed (see: no black bars top and bottom). I went back in the video setup menu, and changed the aspect to play as standard (not 16:9). Still squashed. I tried every aspect ratio and it wouldn't change. I put in a DVD, and it was letterboxed. Is Band of Brothers non- letterboxed on standard TV's? Obviously I am new to this upscale park avenue movie watchin', so I'm out of my element. I know I really need a nice 42" LCD, but not in the cards for now. I'd still like to enjoy Band of Brothers as it should be on my TV.

Also, I noticed this BR player can stream netflix and pandora, but I need to buy a Wireless USB Adaptor. Anyone have experience with this? I don't want to drop $75 on something that isn't what I think it's gonna be.

Thanks!
I rig netflicks over my PS3, its a cool feature but you will have to send off for the disc if your running a PS3. Why not buy a cheap ethernet cable to see if its what you want.

HMM-161 Westpac 1994
Old 12-27-2009, 11:51 AM

Good thing pricing on HD TV's is getting good, cause until you get a 1080p HDTV, our BluRay is worthless.
Old 12-27-2009, 2:35 PM
In Memoriam

dude...

buy a HDTV...

trust me... bluray is what to HD is sig p classis pistols is to handguns...
Old 12-29-2009, 12:53 AM
Veteran Member

Do you have a LCD widescreen computer monitor with HDMI input and HDMI cables?
Old 12-29-2009, 9:40 PM

You'd probably need to get something in 16:9 aspect ratio to fully enjoy the BluRay HD player, otherwise you just have a glorified DVD player, to be honest.

I doubt that BluRay players can even do aspect ratio scaling because they're meant for HD TVs; luckily, they've gone down in price quite a bit. It's not unusual to see $750-800 42" 1080p LCD TVs.
Old 12-29-2009, 11:50 PM

Great tv under $500 . Time to sell a gun and buy a tv.
http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-LN32B4...2159355&sr=1-6