Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 12-23-2009, 8:33 PM

Default doj approved ak mag locks?

does anyone know of any mag lock devices that the department of justice HAS approved of? i'm guessing they haven't nor will they. i'm getting tired of posts from out of state gun owners responding to cali residents asking how to make ak's legal and would like to provide some solid info. any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks!
Old 12-23-2009, 8:38 PM

IIRC There is no Mag lock that is DOJ approved. But they do not fight against the BB/Mag lock, and there has been no properly configured OLL that has been confiscated. Correct me if I'm wrong everyone. My PSL and AR15 use BB/mag lock and I have never been hassled.

Last edited by Jayruta; 12-23-2009 at 8:42 PM..
Old 12-23-2009, 8:42 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Ditto.

Other than gun safes, handgun locks, and handguns, the DOJ does not "approve" anything... the way the law normally works is that something is legal unless it is specified as being illegal.

The best "defense" that we have are letters from the DOJ indicating that they have no opinion and it is up to the 58 DA's in California, backed up with a number of internal memos from LEA, including Sacramento, indicating that these devices are "most likely legal" and arrests should not be made solely for their use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantodd View Post
A just gov't will not be overthrown by force or violence because the people have no incentive to overthrow a just gov't. If a minority of people attempt such an insurrection to grab power and enslave the people, the RKBA is our insurance against their success.
Old 12-23-2009, 8:43 PM

Also Solar Tactical AK Mag Lock .... Like Nike Said "Just Do IT!!"
Old 12-23-2009, 8:44 PM
Veteran Member

http://www.calguns.net/caawid/sgflowchart.pdf

echo everything said. Follow and stay within the guide lines.

In Memory Of Babe....I also remember the Eggs and Country fried potatoes that went with that Bacon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fot View Post
In before the penis measurements
ROFL
Old 12-23-2009, 8:48 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Location: Northern Mexico(San Jose) Where illegals have rights and citizens get screwed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayruta View Post
IIRC There is no Mag lock that is DOJ approved. But they do not fight against the BB/Mag lock, and there has been no properly configured OLL that has been confiscated. Correct me if I'm wrong everyone. My PSL and AR15 use BB/mag lock and I have never been hassled.
There have been guns legally configured that have been confiscated, some were returned and some aren't worth the hassle.

The DOJ won't approve any mag lock, if they cut a letter then we will/have used those to make things happen. Good thing I might add.
Ben Cannon got a letter from Alison saying that a "off list lower" is in fact legal, but they would be added to the AW list in 2 weeks..........that was in 2004 IIRC.......now how many OLL's are in Cali
The others, well......they just never learn.

"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, Give Me Liberty, Or Give Me Death!"
Patrick Henry.
Old 12-24-2009, 8:43 AM

thanks everyone. that was exactly the responce i was expecting.
Merry Christmas!
Old 12-24-2009, 9:55 AM
Calguns Addict

They did approve DSA's method of fixing FAL mags a whiiile back, I forget if it was the set screw or if some welding was involved, like they still do today.

It's not illegal to tip for PPT!
Old 12-24-2009, 2:44 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Seems like a trip down Calguns history lane is in order for folks, but I'm not in the mood to play tour guide.

The DOJ has abdicated their responsibility to approve anything. No magazine locking devices are approved. Their widespread use, LE memos, lack of a single conviction, and numerous confiscations that have resulted in no/dropped charges and returned property are the best we can do.

Remember - something doesn't need to be "approved" to be legal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedrickel View Post
They did approve DSA's method of fixing FAL mags a whiiile back, I forget if it was the set screw or if some welding was involved, like they still do today.
They approved without the weld, then quickly told them they had to weld it (without justification).

All of this is back when DOJ was attempting to change the definitions of a detachable magazine.

Google Map of OLL Dealers

List of CA-friendly Manufacturers, Dealers, Middlemen, and Magazine rebuild kit dealers
Click me-->So you're a n00b and you want to build an AR? <--Click me
This post is based on actual events. Some facts may be altered for dramatic purposes. All posts are pure opinion. All persons, living and dead, are purely coincidental, and should not be construed.