Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Old 05-15-2016, 1:56 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default Solid Copper ,224 bullet load data???

Help me out here Calgunners...
I've read a couple old threads, but haven't found an answer yet...
Tried running these American Marksman Solid Copper .224 thru my Adams Arms Piston/VooDoo 16" with a 1/7 twist, with not so good results.
Been using H335 in the 22 to 23 grain area. Groups are, well, undesirable.
After reading some info on another site, claiming the groups tighten up around 24g, I thought about turning up the heat a tad...
Has anyone tried running these at normal load velocities and had decent results with out pressure issues?
I bought 2K of these, so I have plenty to work with!
Also, I'm well aware of the lead core vs solid copper expansion/rifling/pressure issues.

Any info would be most welcome.
Thanks.

Last edited by PatC415; 05-15-2016 at 3:04 PM..
Old 05-15-2016, 2:51 PM

General concensus I have read is that it is a green hunting round, copper lacks the sectional density to ever be a match round in that caliber, so manufacturers did not bother making it more than a hunting round accurate as match shooters have plenty to choose from.

I have heard people have to work at getting them to shoot acceptable.

Sorry no load data for you as I have not used them before....good luck!

I have considered them for plinkin ammo since they are usually pretty cheap...keep us posted on your progress.
Old 05-15-2016, 4:10 PM
Calguns Addict

My experience with Barnes TTSX and TSX bullets are far different than Unretarded's. There are also some very accurate Match all copper bullets.
I get cloverleaf groups of 5 shots in a number of different cartridges and loads.

To get this you must not think like loading regular bullets!
1) They tend to shoot smaller groups the faster you push them.
2) They need speed to give reliable terminal performance.
3) They act like a lead core bullet 30% heavier. Because of this and the 2 above statements you need to use a lighter weight bullet than the lead core bullet....It will still usually out penetrate the lead core bullet.
4) They want/need a lot of bullet jump to be accurate. I have a couple of loads with .200+ jump and shoot basically into one hole groups when I do my part. With less jump they were not accurate.
5) You need to super clean the barrel before shooting them and not shoot regular bullets before or during the shooting of the copper ones. I always shoot my copper first then when done shoot the regular jacketed bullets. Super clean means with a very good copper solvent(NOT #9) such as Sweets 7.62 or Barnes CR-10. I usually use Wipe-out to start with then one of those 2 copper solvents several times if I have been shooting regular jacketed bullets.

I do not know about the ones you have or their weight. They may not stabilize in your rifle if they are too long and that is easy to have happen with the non-lead. I just reread your post 1-7" should work for most. If you want more info PM me. You do not state where you are located but if it is near me we could get together to sort it out.

Last edited by Divernhunter; 05-15-2016 at 4:18 PM..
Old 05-15-2016, 4:18 PM
Veteran Member

I agree with both of the above posters.
I have never seen solids less than 30 caliber group well and the all copper bullets like a lot of jump.
www.unlimitedrange.org
Not a commercial business.
URSA - Competition starts at 2000 yards!
Old 05-15-2016, 4:51 PM
Calguns Addict

LynnJr--I have some very small groups shot with 257(257R/25-06/257Weatherby), 6.5(6.5X55/264win mag) and 7mm(7mm-08).

My tikka 7mm-08 shoots 110gr TTSX better than any other bullet.
Please remember I only load hunting bullets so I do not have any match loads to compare. But cloverleaf groups are good enough for me and all the game I have taken.
The only non-lead bullets I have shot in 204 or 223 chambering's are the Barnes VG bullets. If I had some TTSX I would bet I could get them to shoot in the 223.
I do not believe they make a TTSX in 20cal. Not sure there is anything I would want to shoot with it anyway.
Old 05-15-2016, 6:39 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divernhunter View Post

To get this you must not think like loading regular bullets!
1) They tend to shoot smaller groups the faster you push them.
2) They need speed to give reliable terminal performance.
3) They act like a lead core bullet 30% heavier. Because of this and the 2 above statements you need to use a lighter weight bullet than the lead core bullet....It will still usually out penetrate the lead core bullet.
4) They want/need a lot of bullet jump to be accurate.
Thanks for your input. I've had great success with TTSX and Tac-Tx in 30cal handloads.
I'm running these at 2.18 now, so there may be some room to shorten them up, and push them faster.
After I get a chance to shoot a few ladders, I will post some info.
I'm up here in Norcal, so a meet-up isn't possible, but I may just take you up on a PM swap.

This is what happens when bullets are .06c each.

Thanks guys for the responses. Much appreciated.
Old 05-15-2016, 7:18 PM
Veteran Member

I'm also in NorCal so if you get those solids shooting I would like to see some of your groups.
I have seen with my own eyes the 30,338,375 and 50 caliber solids shooting well just not the smaller ones.

Divernhunter
A 5 shot cloverleaf would be good enough for me and with the up coming deer season I will either find a decent 6mm solid or I will be switching to a 30 caliber for deer season this year.
www.unlimitedrange.org
Not a commercial business.
URSA - Competition starts at 2000 yards!
Old 05-15-2016, 7:29 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnJr View Post
I'm also in NorCal so if you get those solids shooting I would like to see some of your groups.
I have seen with my own eyes the 30,338,375 and 50 caliber solids shooting well just not the smaller ones.
Yes, that's been my experience as well Lynn. Certainly seems to be the norm...
but I will most certainly let you know if and when I find a load that works in .223.
Old 05-16-2016, 8:54 AM
Just me, baby. Just me.
CGN Contributor

Tagged. I've got several thousand of those bullets too. I load with...I think...24.6 or maybe 25 grains of H335, for high volume blasting ammo. i'd have to find and look in my data book to be sure, but I remember doing a pressure workup and I was up to 25.5 before I was seeing anything to start backing off. Although, with my memory, I could be wrong.
Old 05-16-2016, 11:04 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Thanks Spyder. Did you get any decent accuracy?
Please send me a PM with some data when you can. I ran a few loads up to 24.2 last night. Maybe I will run it up to 25 tonight.
Let me know where the sweet spot was for you.
Appreciate your post!
Old 05-16-2016, 11:10 AM
Just me, baby. Just me.
CGN Contributor

I'm on the road for the next week...bringing an ammo can full of rounds loaded with them to shoot though! When I get back, I'll have some calguns catching up to do, and will see what I can find.
Old 05-16-2016, 11:13 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Are these dfw approved for hunting ? I hve been loading copperheads 55 gr solid opper for ground squirrels and coyotes. Work fine for me also dfw approved and low cost.

Last edited by edgerly779; 05-16-2016 at 12:53 PM..
Old 05-16-2016, 12:14 PM
Veteran Member

My rifles like Barnes TTSX with a healthy jump and a lot of powder. I can usually load to Barnes Max load data and get excellent accuracy. 1/2 moa is typical but I have several small bores that shoot way under that.