Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Old 02-22-2018, 4:59 PM

Default .308 - VLD vs ELD-X vs Accubond LR

First let me clarify that I don't have any desire to do any "Long Range Hunting". For me long range hunting starts at about 200 yards (and currently ends at 300 yards).

I do want to simplify my ammunition a bit though once I start reloading for my .308.

My main goal is to have a round I can shoot to 1000 (at targets) but still hunt with if I want to lug my .308 around.

Gun is a Rem 700 5r Milspec - .308 - 24" Barrel with 11 1/4 twist.

I've been shooting 175 grain sierra match kings (factory loads from Federal) and get 1/2 to 3/4 MOA depending on how much I pay attention. I'm pretty happy with that for factory ammo and would probably keep buying that except I do want to take a deer or antelope with the gun eventually.

The VLD gets a lot of praise but the descriptions lead me to believe it does a lot of damage to the meat.

If you were loading a round to shoot targets and game what bullet (and weight) would choose? I'm also open to other bullet suggestions that don't include buying (or re-barreling to) a 6.5 Creedmore.

Cheers
Old 02-22-2018, 5:31 PM
Toolmaker Extraordinaire
CGN Contributor

Sierra 180 gr GameKing
Nosler Partitions have always been accurate
Berger Hybrid
Berger Hunter

Good luck getting the Berger's, they are trying to get caught up with back orders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tujungatoes View Post
That guy is a hack. He worked on one of my ak's and now the damn thing only shoots .50 cal bullets.
The above statement i consider a term of endearment
Need prints for your build? Need reference materials for Gunsmithing projects, Click Here
I fear that even though as tough as life has been for me I have only begun to pay for my sins.
Don't forget to have your Liberals spayed or neutered !
Old 02-22-2018, 5:37 PM
Calguns Addict

Berger 175 or 180 grain VLD Hunting.
www.unlimitedrange.org
Not a commercial business.
URSA - Competition starts at 2000 yards!
Old 02-22-2018, 6:54 PM

Bullets.com may have some 308 bullets on close out they are closing the doors

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-23-2018, 7:39 AM

The 185 grain VLD hunting bullet is the most accurate bullet out of both my .300 Win Mag and my .30-06. I have not tried them in my .308. Earlier this month I shot a cow elk in Eastern Oregon with my .300 win and a 185 VLD. The shot was only around 75 yards but it was dead right there. The outfitter uses the 185 VLD exclusively in his .300 Win. He says too many clients using tough bullets, wound and loose elk due to non-expansion and poor shot placement.
Old 02-23-2018, 9:32 AM

You do realize that starting in July, 2019 you'll have to use lead-free bullets if you hunt in California.

This doesn't answer your question directly but you still might find the info useful.

I sort of wrestled with the same issue. My long range is perhaps a bit shorter than yours and I'm not necessarily looking to shoot at 1000 yard steel targets with my '06 but I didn't want to have to use expensive hunting rounds for target practice.

150 grain Hornady SSTs have the same BC as Hornady 150 grain GMXs. The SSTs are cheaper but they're not suitable for hunting so I use them for target ammo. The only drawback is that the two bullets have radically different points of impact for the same point of aim, with the GMX shooting about 6" higher. If you don't like Hornady, the people I've talked to speak very highly of the Barnes TTSX lead-free bullets. Barnes might have a less expensive leaded bullet that has roughly the same ballistics as the TTSX.
Old 02-23-2018, 10:20 AM
Toolmaker Extraordinaire
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackEllis View Post
You do realize that starting in July, 2019 you'll have to use lead-free bullets if you hunt in California.

This doesn't answer your question directly but you still might find the info useful.

I sort of wrestled with the same issue. My long range is perhaps a bit shorter than yours and I'm not necessarily looking to shoot at 1000 yard steel targets with my '06 but I didn't want to have to use expensive hunting rounds for target practice.

150 grain Hornady SSTs have the same BC as Hornady 150 grain GMXs. The SSTs are cheaper but they're not suitable for hunting so I use them for target ammo. The only drawback is that the two bullets have radically different points of impact for the same point of aim, with the GMX shooting about 6" higher. If you don't like Hornady, the people I've talked to speak very highly of the Barnes TTSX lead-free bullets. Barnes might have a less expensive leaded bullet that has roughly the same ballistics as the TTSX.

He ainít in california

Quote:
Originally Posted by tujungatoes View Post
That guy is a hack. He worked on one of my ak's and now the damn thing only shoots .50 cal bullets.
The above statement i consider a term of endearment
Need prints for your build? Need reference materials for Gunsmithing projects, Click Here
I fear that even though as tough as life has been for me I have only begun to pay for my sins.
Don't forget to have your Liberals spayed or neutered !
Old 02-23-2018, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcstott View Post
He ainít in california

My bad for not seeing where he was from.
Old 02-23-2018, 12:12 PM

Yup. I am one of the lucky ones who was able to escape. Appreciate the info so far. Any other tips are appreciated!