Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Old 04-23-2016, 10:25 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default Fastest, most consistent way to trim different brass...

This is a bit pricey, but it is worth it. Trimming, chamfer and deburring is probably the most tedious part of the handloading process...for me anyways. The Giraud does it all in one step.

The key is to buy separate cutter heads and blades for each cartridge you shoot a lot of. For me, that is a 284 Shehane, 6.5 creedmoor, .308, and .223.

By getting dedicated cutter blades for each cartridge, you can set the cutter and never change the position so you get the same trim length, chamber and deburr. Changing the cutter head is all of a few seconds. By using the forster lock rings on the cartridge holder, you can remove and replace and it will cut to the same length every time. Total changeover time from one cartridge to another last time I did it was 52 seconds.

Trimmer: Giraud Power Trimmer - $460
Extra cartridge holder - $35
Extra cutter head w/blade - $45
Forster Lock Rings - ~$3.50

The chamfer and deburr is perfect and I get trim lengths from case to case that are around 0.000-0.0005" on average.

Visit- WWW.BARRELCOOL.COM
Old 04-24-2016, 12:39 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." --- Benjamin Franklin
Freedom isn't free. Read the Declaration of Independence everyday - it'll keep the New World Order away.
Quote: Army: "Your ignorant liberal puke rhetoric is tiresome."
We live in a society of extreme behavior with no electronic self control.
Old 04-24-2016, 1:20 AM

Worth every penny
Old 04-24-2016, 8:01 AM

I'm really on the fence in getting one. Wanted to adapt a dillon trimmer for my Hornady LNL but still gotta debur and chamfer.

I just did 1000 pieces of brass in a few different batches....trimming, debur, chamfer and crimp....ALL SEPARATE OPERATIONS!! I wanted to shoot myself.

Giraud or Gracey would take 2 of these steps out.

Check this vid out, guy made a mod to speed up Giraud trimming and no longer have to twist so many times. Requires reaming out one of the shell holders but makes it perfect fit, no wiggle in the case when you press down.