Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Technology and Internet
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Technology and Internet Emerging and current tech related issues. Internet, DRM, IP, and other technology related discussions.

Old 12-22-2009, 6:58 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default Cell Phone and 911

I've a couple of cell phones that used to be activated but aren't anymore.

Can I use them for 911 and other emergencies? I seem to recall that I could. I would like to keep one in the bedroom (along with the other cell phone) in case of home invasion/phone lines cut/power outage, etc....

It's a new-ish phone so obselesence isn't much of an issue...

90% of winning is simply showing up.

"Let's not lose sight of how much we reduced our carbon footprint by telecommuting this protest." 383green

NRA Benefactor Member
Old 12-22-2009, 7:00 PM
Veteran Member

try it

i think they are supposed to but i dunno.

NRA EPL Member
Visit my blogBullets in the Wash
Old 12-22-2009, 7:56 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Yes those will work to dial 911 without service.

The Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms. -- Samuel Adams, Debates and Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 86-87 (Pearce and Hale, eds., Boston, 1850)
Old 12-22-2009, 8:12 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDay View Post
Yes those will work to dial 911 without service.
Yup.

Quote:
In the U.S., FCC rules require every telephone that can access the network to be able to dial 9-1-1, regardless of any reason that normal service may have been disconnected (including non-payment) (This only applies to states with a Do Not Disconnect policy in place. Those states must provide a "soft" dial tone service, details can be found at http://www.fcc.gov/Bureaus/Common_Ca...D/pntris99.pdf) On wired (land line) phones, this usually is accomplished by a "soft" dial tone, which sounds normal but will allow only emergency calls. Often, an unused and unpublished phone number will be issued to the line so that it will work properly.
- G

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
- Ronald Reagan

Old 12-22-2009, 11:32 PM

Yep they will call 911. The problem w/cell phns is if you do call 911 majority of them go to CHP 1st which you could be on hold forever before you get someone then have to be transferred. The 2nd problem is if you are unable to say what address or where you are at then your SOL unless it is what they call phase 2 wireless and it will give gps cordinates but can't get down to exact address.