Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 12-05-2005, 1:19 PM
shopkeep

Default Romarms Pump-Action AK-47

I saw a pump-action AK-47 at a gun show from Romarms... does anyone here know the company website and if the receiver can be imported and build up into a pump-action CA legal rifle, could it be imported as a stripped reciever? Hence one would surmise that without any of the 'features' of a Category 3 AW then it would be legal to build into a fully function rifle.
Old 12-05-2005, 1:50 PM
I need a LIFE!!

They have pump action AK47s @ turner's and fowler's. I never bought one though. Might as well just get an SKS - why the hell would I want a pump action rifle? :P
Old 12-05-2005, 2:03 PM
Veteran Member

the pumps are legal, but as dadoody said, just go for an SKS instead (its cheaper as well).
Old 12-05-2005, 3:20 PM

I took a look at my buddy's pump AK the other day at the range... the reciever apears to be an actual AK reciever with all the internal parts being the same too. The only difference I could see is that the rear frame rails (not the bolt carrier rails) are still there and are not cut out like regular ak's. What this does is prevents you from removing the bolt & bolt carrier from the rifle. It looks like they put the bolt carrier in before they attached the rear trunion. ODD.

Basically what all this does is prevents the regular "Joe" from taking the rifle down to it's basic parts. i.e. you cannot take the "gas tube" off the rifle... but I guess one doesn't have to do that since it's gas port must be sealed or not even drilled and doesn't need cleaning anyway.

The thing I don't like about it, besides being a pump and looking kinda funny, is that I can't take it down completly like I do all my other rifles.
Old 12-05-2005, 3:32 PM
shopkeep

I wasn't interested in the rifle. Only the reciever.
Old 12-05-2005, 4:15 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by shopkeep
I wasn't interested in the rifle. Only the reciever.
then buy it at Turners.......
Old 12-05-2005, 4:27 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I find it unlikely that DOJ will ever identify/declare the pump action AKs as assault weapons even if similarities w/regular AK receiver are almost 100%.

Same way with FAB10 or Vulcan fixed-mag AR or GB Sales' welded-up Bushmasters.

The bare receiver purchases and purchases of guns w/screwed-in magazines that are legal under Harrott are the ones that perchance will get declared as AWs.

Bill Wiese
San Jose, CA

CGF Board Member / NRA Benefactor Life Member / CRPA life member

No postings of mine here, unless otherwise specifically noted, are
to be construed as formal or informal positions of the Calguns.Net
ownership, The Calguns Foundation, Inc. ("CGF"), the NRA, or my
employer. No posts of mine on Calguns are to be construed as
legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.
Old 12-05-2005, 5:06 PM
shopkeep

Personally, I highly doubt they will ever add anything else. Right now they're focused on banning semi-automatic handguns completely. The microstamping law will completely ban all semi-autos because the technology to imprint serial numbers on each fired bullet doesn't currently exist and manufacturers would rather just sell elsewhere than bother selling in California with those limitations.

Meanwhile, however, because FFLs and businesses are too terrified of the EXTREMELY heavy penalties the DOJ can hit them with under current Assault Weapons Legislation (each AW is a felony), no one is going to be importing non-named recievers in any significant quantity.

What is going to happen is that certain individuals who are more knowledgable about firearms than the DOJ and can beat them at their own game like Mr. Cannon will continue to build masterpieces like his Ctr-02 that escape registration. Basically, all the AW legislation did is send these firearms underground into garage workshops.
Old 12-05-2005, 5:27 PM

I posted a thread about this a few weeks ago.

Basically the DOJ says that AK is legal same way AR is as long as the receiver is not on the banned by name list and it's neutered like the FAB10s and whatnot.

After doing a bit of thinking, I came up with a way to make a CA-legal AK out of a normal AK without doing ANY permanent mods whatsoever. If you ever move out of the state, this mod can probably be un-done in under 10 minutes.

-First, (the hard part) build a Yugoslavian AK from a kit.
The reason for using a Yugo AK is because the Yugos have a grenade sight in the front that also doubles as a gas shut-off switch. (Think a normal AK gas block except with a large hole drilled through it and a big bolt in the center)

-Second, unscrew the gas shutoff assembly.
The gas plug for the rifle is just a "bolt" (not the action bolt, duh) with a groove cut into it to allow gas flow, when the grenade sight is up, the "bolt" moves into a position where the gas is unable to cycle.

-Third, replace the grooved gas plug "bolt" with a regular hex bolt of the same size.
This completely shuts off the gas valve. If you wish you can weld the fastener to the end of the hex bolt so it is a "permanent" modification.

There you have it, homebuilt AK that is bolt action. If you ever move out of CA you can use tools to break the weld on the hex bolt and put the standard gas plug back inside.