Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Technology and Internet
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Technology and Internet Emerging and current tech related issues. Internet, DRM, IP, and other technology related discussions.

Old 12-16-2009, 1:06 PM
In Memoriam

Default Need a device that will stream video on my network

Hi guys,

I've been having a lot of trouble finding a product that will do what I need to do. Let me describe my situation.

We have 3 microscopes here in the office. They have a video feed coming from them that can be either s-video or RCA.

What I need to do is be able to view the video stream on my network from multiple computers. Both doctors want to be able to have the video streams on their computers in their offices, for example they would have 3 windows open on their 2nd monitors, and each window would be a separate stream. They also want a computer on the network to be able to be continually logged into the streams to record them.

I purchased 3 HAVA players but they didn't work very well. You could only have one hava device on the network or else they would all conflict. There were some other issues with it too.

I thought a slingbox might work well, but I called them up and they said that you can have multiple slingboxes on the network no problem. However you can't have multiple people viewing the streams at once, so if one doctor is looking at a stream, then the other can't. Also, you cannot have multiple windows open on your computer at once, so instead of having 3 windows open on your second monitor showing all the streams, you would only be able to have one open and you'd have to swich between slingboxes to view the different streams. This would also make these things pretty useless for recording.

So those two devices are out. I don't know why this is so hard to find a device that'll do this. We have a bunch of webcams all over the office that do all this, but finding a device that will hook into an analog video stream seems to be a pretty difficult thing.

If anyone has any ideas, I'd really appreciate them.
"Please use the comments to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data, ability to repeat discredited memes, and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Also, be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor even implied. Any irrelevancies you can mention will also be appreciated. Lastly, kindly forgo all civility in your discourse . . you are, after all, anonymous."
-Barry Ritholtz

Help be a better advocate for the 2nd Amendment here.
Old 12-16-2009, 3:13 PM

What price point are you shooting for? Most of the ViewCast products can do this, but they aren't cheap (compared to the options you mentioned looking into already.)
Old 12-16-2009, 3:38 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

look at these link or LINK I think you want a video server or encoder. Look at video surveillance and CCTV site. they are used to upgrade old analog camera systems to digital

Brad
Old 12-16-2009, 3:43 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

something like this would prob. work also LINK

Brad
Old 12-16-2009, 6:01 PM
Super Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

I have a Ruckus that streams video. They come in a set of 2 and they are access points that will do HD TV.

HMM-161 Westpac 1994
Old 12-16-2009, 8:49 PM
Moderator Emeritus
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Take a look here:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=236138