Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Discussion General discussion regarding CCW/LTC in California

Old 12-14-2009, 12:41 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default Fresno Bee CCW STORY!!!

Sheriff Mims should run for President!!!!!

Sheriff's gun policy makes sense
Posted at 12:09 AM on Thursday, Dec. 10, 2009
By Bill McEwen / The Fresno Bee
The best gift for a law-abiding citizen this Christmas might be a concealed-weapons permit.

Even though Fresno police always are putting out press releases that claim crime is down, the city doesn't feel safe. Nor does it appear safe. Not on my side of town, at least. Not south of McKinley Avenue.

Look, there was a time when I believed that more guns led to more violence.

Now, in my gut, I have to agree with Fresno County Sheriff Margaret Mims. She says that a society is safer when responsible people bear arms.

"I think it's a good idea to keep the bad guys guessing so that they never know when they're coming up against a citizen who is carrying," Mims says.

Under California law, each sheriff can issue a concealed-weapons permit to anyone with a clean record who has "good cause." Some sheriffs are stingy with permits. Others, such as Mims, believe the permits should go to any eligible person.

For Mims, " 'Good cause' is, I can't put a deputy sheriff with every single citizen."

I don't have a gun and I've never applied for a permit to carry one. But this is going to change. In a city where no one is safe from the Bulldogs street gang, every responsible adult should think about carrying a gun.

Consider what happened this week at Palm and Belmont Avenues: Richard Hernandez, 27, married and the father of two children, was murdered at 6 o'clock in the morning.

Hernandez, a deliveryman for Valley Wide Beverage Co., simply was doing his job when, according to police, he was shot in the back for no apparent reason by Joey Jesse Lopez, also 27, a Bulldog gang-banger.

Understand: Hernandez wasn't robbed. There are animals on our streets who don't need a reason to kill other than that's what they want to do. The only thing they understand is the power of a gun, which is why it's best that honest people take up arms.

Advocates for strict gun control raise valid concerns about a proliferation of weapons leading to accidental shootings, particularly involving children. But permit-holders must pass background checks and gun-safety courses in which they are taught how to avoid mishaps. In the end, I think the benefits outweigh the risks.

Back in the mid-1990s, then-City Council Member Bob Lung proposed a revised gun ordinance that would grant a concealed-weapons permit to any applicant satisfying the state standard of "good moral character."

The idea was the talk of the town for several months, with anti-gun forces threatening lawsuits if Lung got his way. Eventually, the council passed a compromise version giving the police chief discretion to decide who received a permit.

But Mims attracted little media attention during her 2006 run for sheriff when she made it clear that it would be easier to get a concealed weapon permit if she were elected.

"But that was one of the first questions asked at every debate," Mims said. "People wanted to know about the permits."

And they still want to know.

Since she was sworn in three years ago, Mims' office has issued 1,134 carry permits, and there are now 2,786 active permits in Fresno County. As of 4 p.m. Tuesday, there were a total of 28,121 concealed weapons permits in force in California, according to the state Department of Justice -- meaning that Fresno County residents account for nearly 10% of the permit-holders.

Mims says that there was a logjam of applications early in her term. Her office, which conducts background checks for the permits, has since caught up with the demand. Get this: the sheriff keeps applications in her car for people who want to carry a concealed gun.

No wonder Mims was named "Outstanding Peace Officer of the Year" last month by the California Rifle and Pistol Association, an affiliate of the National Rifle Association.

Now, I don't agree with much of what the NRA advocates. For example, I can't think of a single reason anyone -- other than law enforcement -- needs an assault rifle.

But I believe in a person's right to defend himself. I believe, too, that an armed society is a polite society.

Last edited by crowbar1; 12-14-2009 at 1:36 PM..
Old 12-14-2009, 12:54 PM

That is so awesome. If I hadn't lived on NAS Lemoore from 2004-2006, I might move down there just for the CCW.

But frak that, I can't stand the Armpit. lol

Seriously though, that's how CCWs in CA should work. If only she could head the CA DOJ and end all the madness!!

"Doctrine is the last refuge of the unimaginative." - General James "Chaos" Mattis, USMC

Last edited by Sick Boy; 12-14-2009 at 12:56 PM..
Old 12-14-2009, 1:20 PM
Calguns Addict

I have a good cause. I will apply for one.
Old 12-14-2009, 4:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mif_slim View Post
I have a good cause. I will apply for one.
I have good cause as well, it start out like this: "I want one." Unfortunately its not good enough cause for "the Man",
Peace demands solutions, but we never reach living solutions; we only work toward them. A fixed solution is, by definition, a dead solution. The trouble with peace is that it tends to punish mistakes instead of rewarding brilliance.
Quote:
Bureaucracy destroys initiative. There is little that bureaucrats hate more than innovation, especially innovation that produces better results than the old routines. Improvements always make those at the top of the heap look inept. Who enjoys appearing inept?
Old 12-14-2009, 7:10 PM

That is a fantastic article. Madera Co. is similar in its issue policy. If you live in Fresno Co., you should put her to the test and apply ASAP.
Old 12-15-2009, 8:35 PM

I have been thinking of a "just cause" and don't know yet

I'm a
mechannik
mecinic
mekinich

I FIX PLANES!
Old 12-15-2009, 9:01 PM
Calguns Addict

I carry large sums of money weekly, it's a good cause. Hehehe
Old 12-15-2009, 10:10 PM

Quote:
That is one of the top reasons

I'm a
mechannik
mecinic
mekinich

I FIX PLANES!
Old 12-16-2009, 8:30 AM
Banned

Everyone should go to the NRA news website and listen to Cam Edwards interview with Sheriff Mims. She actually empathizes with the citizens of Fresno county.
Old 12-16-2009, 8:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yock View Post
Apparently this "bulldogs" gang is known to shoot people for no apparent reason at all. Sounds like just cause to me, and Sheriff Mims too.
Old 12-16-2009, 5:45 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I just got mine in mail yesterday, Mimms is great, I wonder if i should post my good cause statement?
Old 12-16-2009, 7:44 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGERBER View Post
I just got mine in mail yesterday, Mimms is great, I wonder if i should post my good cause statement?
NO!!!!!

You don't want to do that. Don't take the risk of putting it on the internet.
Old 12-16-2009, 9:00 PM

It's called "personal protection"!!!!
It works for me.
Every two years
But just renewed...
I am good for two more!
Old 12-17-2009, 5:34 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

You mean every two years when I renew I have to give a good cause statement again?
Old 12-17-2009, 7:35 AM

You do in San Bernardino County
Also around $100.00 in fees to the sheriff and DOJ
Old 12-17-2009, 7:42 AM
Calguns Addict

tag
My gut is good for two things, making poo and spotting crazy
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwiese View Post
Do not get your legal advice from Forest Rangers or Sheriffs: that's like getting medical advice from your plumber.
Old 12-17-2009, 8:46 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

in Fresno County i have to renew every 2 years - but i do not think i need the good cause statement again
Old 12-17-2009, 1:31 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

You in fact, do NOT need to give a good cause statement when you renew in Fresno County. I have had a fresno CCW since 1999, and never needed to do it again.
Old 12-17-2009, 4:28 PM
Banned

I don't understand if there is a gang with people that kill at random and there are members being arrested for it why is there no task force ?

Actually I was thinking why isn't there a frank castle
Old 12-17-2009, 8:20 PM

I'm planning to apply for my ccw in Fresno, if I apply and my good cause isn't taken, do I lose my fee?
Old 12-17-2009, 8:44 PM

I just put a new office and two recovery agents near McKinley in Fresno. This bulldogs gang is kinda making me worry about the safety of my guys a little bit.
16" EBR
18" 1187 super mag special purpose
Ruger m77 .270

Old 12-18-2009, 5:46 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

In Fresno County

The process is call for application, after they review your application, they call you to have face-to-face meeting.

Then if you are approved you go in second time to pays fee. And get finger printed.

Therefore, you will not pay unless you are approved.
Old 12-18-2009, 8:34 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital_Boy View Post
Apparently this "bulldogs" gang is known to shoot people for no apparent reason at all. Sounds like just cause to me, and Sheriff Mims too.
Yeah, didnt a guy get killed for no reason a week ago or something?
Old 12-31-2009, 8:35 PM
PURVEYOR OF HIGH END ITEM
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Default Sheriff Mims

I know Sheriff Margie Mims and have talked to her on occasion. Her rank and file deputies feel supported by her as the Agency has been addressing the ongoing problem with violent crimes in the county with an ever shrinking budget. She came through the ranks from starting with Kerman PD and worked her way up the chain of command to be Sheriff.

I know it was a contentious election and I'm glad she's doing a wonderful job.

ddindetroit
Old 01-01-2010, 9:28 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

My friend just got is permit in Fresno County, no business or money or threats involved.

Be smart and take your time writing your statement, mention you are a law-abiding citizen with good moral character, and rational thinking. How long you have been in Fresno, that you are a veteran or sportsman, that you live or travel in highly populated gang active areas, any theft or damage you have experienced, you might travel in rural or distressed areas, physical disabilities, you are aware of accelerated gang activity and feel the need for personal and property protection. Your are responsible for your actions ect.

In my opinion if you have a clean record and not real young and have good moral character, and rational thinking you have a good shot at getting your CCW.

If you do not have a good record and you are of not good moral character, and rational thinking, I hope your do not get your CCW.

my 3 cents
Old 01-01-2010, 4:01 PM

This is all good info becouse I am going to apply for my Fresno CCW here in a few weeks me and a few guys I wook with are all going to apply at about the same time but we all have the same reasons why we want it and you may have the same but you can call and talk to the guys that are in charge and tell them your reasons and they may tell tou yes or no right there before you fill out the papers. But don't listen to me I haven't done mine yet.

I'm a
mechannik
mecinic
mekinich

I FIX PLANES!
Old 01-01-2010, 4:16 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

You need to call for the Application, then they will mail it.

Fill it out – along with the good cause statement . Then you call them back to set up the first appt.
Old 01-01-2010, 4:31 PM

Quote:
You need to call for the Application, then they will mail it.

Fill it out along with the good cause statement . Then you call them back to set up the first appt.
Or if you type Fresno ccw in google click the first link and the aplacatiom is on the bottom of the page

I'm a
mechannik
mecinic
mekinich

I FIX PLANES!
Old 01-01-2010, 5:13 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

You can do that, but they have there procedure and you have to have the two appointments. you still have to call to find out what to fill in and what not to. unless the cover page is on there and current.
Old 01-01-2010, 6:21 PM
Veteran Member

i have my ccw from tulare co. and for you guys in fresno your good cause is that you do not feel safe since crime is up in fresno. simple. i like mims
Old 01-02-2010, 6:49 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote from Mims

For Mims, " 'Good cause' is, I can't put a deputy sheriff with every single citizen."
Old 01-04-2010, 1:07 PM
Veteran Member

If only I still lived in Fresno... sigh!

A big thumbs up for Sheriff Mims. Wonder if she would like to run for sheriff in another county with better weather............... like Sacramento??!!

Quote:
turboface20 wrote:
Pretty sure a .177 pellet gun can and has killed people...

bangbangping wrote:
So has malaria, but a mosquito isn't a very good self defense weapon.
Old 01-05-2010, 10:12 AM

I wish it was that easy to get your CCW in San Luis Obispo county...
Old 01-08-2010, 7:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy_clothing View Post
I don't understand if there is a gang with people that kill at random and there are members being arrested for it why is there no task force ?

There is. The bulldog gang no longer has the upperhand. They no longer flaunt their colors, or bark at cops. They are being targeted heavily and pushed hard. Now we are seeing an uprising of nortenos and surenos. But they too will be stomped out. We have an awesome Chief of Police (Dyer) and Sheriff (Mimms).
Old 01-09-2010, 2:57 AM
Calguns Addict

Wow. This is awesome. Everyone in Fresno needs to apply immediately.
Old 01-17-2010, 10:57 AM

Applied, approved and waiting for permit in the mail!!! Sheriff Mimms is top notch for women everywhere not just with guns issues but with life issues, she is a true fighter.
Old 01-17-2010, 1:06 PM
Calguns Addict

Not 'just', 'good'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yock View Post
To keep it you must give it

"I will talk with you no more.
I will go now, and fight you."
(Red Cloud)
Old 01-17-2010, 1:13 PM
Calguns Addict

They still need something to hang their hat on other than 'self defense".
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital_Boy View Post

(Red Cloud)
Old 01-17-2010, 1:39 PM
Calguns Addict

But be sure to include in your good cause statement that you would never use deadly force to protect your money, only your person. The money just makes you a target.

Quote:

(Red Cloud)
Old 01-17-2010, 1:47 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
NO!

We don't need boiler plate GC statements floating around! Only give general advice.

(Red Cloud)

Last edited by Meplat; 01-17-2010 at 1:49 PM..