Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Technology and Internet
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Technology and Internet Emerging and current tech related issues. Internet, DRM, IP, and other technology related discussions.

Old 12-14-2009, 8:01 AM

Default The Google Nexus One; Apple's new nightmare?

If anyone can beat Apple at it's own game, Google would be top on my list of contenders.

http://www.engadget.com/photos/googl...531511#2531525
Old 12-14-2009, 8:10 AM
Calguns Addict

yep, IF anyone, and I doubt anyone will, Google could be a contender.

I wonder what verbiage the piece of paper is covering?

the form factor and design is easy to mimc or improve... the fact the Google makes open source software THAT is the angle that they can use to attack Apple.

WTS: Gun stuff & things | WTB Chiappa Rhino 9mm 4"
Old 12-14-2009, 8:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glock_this View Post
the fact the Google makes open source software THAT is the angle that they can use to attack Apple.
Exactly! The iphone has some neat hardware features, but nothing really special in comparison to most other smart phones. I give apple props on their UI, but their (non) policy regarding apps for it really turn me off.

that and the fact that they're locked to ATT unless you want to risk your warranty by jailbreaking so you can use it on a network that doesn't suck rancid goat taint.
Old 12-14-2009, 12:25 PM
Calguns Addict

good Wired article

interesting quote "The phone will be sold online by Google itself, the AllThingsD reports."

bad news for me, and millions of others, "those hoping to get an iPhone-caliber phone on Verizon are out of luck. The Nexus will be a GSM phone, which means" - another iPhone blunder by VZW?

this also means another possible cool phone for AT&T - but funny thing there is they can hardly support the iPhone bandwidth wise.. now add another iPhone type phone data hog to their over burdened network??

Last edited by glock_this; 12-14-2009 at 12:31 PM..
Old 12-14-2009, 12:49 PM

Cool Thats for the update... Waiting for a good reason to drop the iPhone for a open platform.
Old 12-14-2009, 1:06 PM
Veteran Member

the only reason this is getting attention is because it's a google phone that's it. It is made by HTC which makes other android phones already. What about the droid?? I doubt this phone and the droid will be completely different phones and this one kill the iphone.

if you guys want a killer phone try one with WM 6.1
wait what??????????? lol
Old 12-14-2009, 1:10 PM
Calguns Addict

My G1 running CyangenMod 4.2.8 is pretty slick already. I love being able to update and reflash my phone all the time.
209 833-9100
For sales Questions please email Sales@tracyrifleandpistol.com
Old 12-14-2009, 1:25 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by du9207 View Post
the only reason this is getting attention is because it's a google phone that's it. It is made by HTC which makes other android phones already. What about the droid?? I doubt this phone and the droid will be completely different phones and this one kill the iphone.

if you guys want a killer phone try one with WM 6.1
wait what??????????? lol
big diff between this Android and the Droid is that the Google Android phone will be more open and not as locked down as VZW's Droid. Not that we will even be able to get this for VZW since is it GSM only, but point is, the Android will be more open source for developers while the Droid is more locked down since it is on VZW who is notorious for hamstringing the capabilities of phones so they do not have to support any more than they have to.

Old 12-14-2009, 4:10 PM
Banned

This phone is not an apple killer it's a carrier killer which could help to bring about the resurgence of the iphone which is limited by att.

Suddenly now you are going to have a super powerfull 1ghz processor, super featured including I hope mini HDMI out and oled screen which will dramatically help with battery life open platform.

I'm not sure VZW didn't turn this down because this may not be the google phone it might just be "a" google phone. Also they have CDMA and I think google is eying the rollout of LTE with great interest and this chipset might not support it yet.

Google has hinted that the android people have seen is not the real android which many people assume means a future handset based around VOIP running android 2.5 which is in development while this phone is supposed to be running 2.1
Old 12-14-2009, 4:10 PM
Banned

d/p

Last edited by stormy_clothing; 12-14-2009 at 4:16 PM..
Old 12-14-2009, 7:28 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
good Wired article

interesting quote "The phone will be sold online by Google itself, the AllThingsD reports."

bad news for me, and millions of others, "those hoping to get an iPhone-caliber phone on Verizon are out of luck. The Nexus will be a GSM phone, which means" - another iPhone blunder by VZW?

this also means another possible cool phone for AT&T - but funny thing there is they can hardly support the iPhone bandwidth wise.. now add another iPhone type phone data hog to their over burdened network??
Why would you use AT&T? Their pricing is too high and their service sucks. The only reason people aren't using iPhones on T-Mobile is because the iPhone's 3G wont work on any network except AT&T (and Android is better anyway), other GSM phones aren't gimped out like this.

The Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms. -- Samuel Adams, Debates and Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 86-87 (Pearce and Hale, eds., Boston, 1850)
Old 12-15-2009, 12:11 AM
I need a LIFE!!

This phone is actually the HTC Passion, it would appear that Google is doing exactly as they say which is having employees test advanced features and new ideas. I seriously doubt Google is going to start selling hardware.

http://www.engadget.com/2009/12/07/h...ragon-in-veri/

The Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms. -- Samuel Adams, Debates and Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 86-87 (Pearce and Hale, eds., Boston, 1850)
Old 12-15-2009, 12:40 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
big diff between this Android and the Droid is that the Google Android phone will be more open and not as locked down as VZW's Droid. Not that we will even be able to get this for VZW since is it GSM only, but point is, the Android will be more open source for developers while the Droid is more locked down since it is on VZW who is notorious for hamstringing the capabilities of phones so they do not have to support any more than they have to.
The Motorola Droid is a "Google Experience" device. VZW has not locked down any capability that the device inherently has. Nothing has been removed nor added in terms of VZW branding.

In regards to your assertion that the Android OS on the Droid is any different than any other Android OS because of VZW...simply untrue. Can you point to a single capability that the Android OS offers that VZW is "hamstringing"?

Good people sleep peaceably in their bed at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
Old 12-15-2009, 12:52 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy_clothing View Post
This phone is not an apple killer it's a carrier killer which could help to bring about the resurgence of the iphone which is limited by att.

Suddenly now you are going to have a super powerfull 1ghz processor, super featured including I hope mini HDMI out and oled screen which will dramatically help with battery life open platform.

I'm not sure VZW didn't turn this down because this may not be the google phone it might just be "a" google phone. Also they have CDMA and I think google is eying the rollout of LTE with great interest and this chipset might not support it yet.

Google has hinted that the android people have seen is not the real android which many people assume means a future handset based around VOIP running android 2.5 which is in development while this phone is supposed to be running 2.1
The Moto Droid currently has almost 1ghz of processing power between it's dual processors. An ArmŽ Cortex™ A8 processor 550 mHz as well as a PowerVR SGX GPU. The architecture on both is said to be top notch and quite speedy.

In regards to LTE, nothing to date has been developed for handsets. Because of the amount of power required to run on LTE, the technology is only currently viable with air cards that can rely on the laptop/netbook for its power. I've seen some testing and LTE is amazingly fast with steady speeds around 10-12 mbps with bursts up to 50 mbps. Unfortunately they are going to need to figure out the power management/reliance issues before the technology makes it to a hand held device.

Good people sleep peaceably in their bed at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
Old 12-15-2009, 1:18 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreedomIsNotFree View Post
In regards to LTE, nothing to date has been developed for handsets. Because of the amount of power required to run on LTE, the technology is only currently viable with air cards that can rely on the laptop/netbook for its power. I've seen some testing and LTE is amazingly fast with steady speeds around 10-12 mbps with bursts up to 50 mbps. Unfortunately they are going to need to figure out the power management/reliance issues before the technology makes it to a hand held device.
LTE isn't aimed at handsets, its aimed at mobile computing devices. I cant see anyone needing LTE speeds on their mobile phone unless they wish to tether it to their notebook, in which case they can use a USB cable and keep the handset charged.

Old 12-15-2009, 12:54 PM
Veteran Member

Wow. Not sure who told you LTE wasn't headed to handsets but that is completely inaccurate. I've sat in on the actual performance tests of LTE and have the actual technology roadmap in my possession. LTE is absolutely coming to handsets once the power issues are addressed.
Old 12-15-2009, 1:34 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
The Motorola Droid is a "Google Experience" device. VZW has not locked down any capability that the device inherently has. Nothing has been removed nor added in terms of VZW branding.

In regards to your assertion that the Android OS on the Droid is any different than any other Android OS because of VZW...simply untrue. Can you point to a single capability that the Android OS offers that VZW is "hamstringing"?
if what you say is true, it would go contrary to VZWs history of determining what can come on the phone - apps wise + what THEY require they want on the phone + their history of hamstringing phones so as to minimize their support efforts.

Google the topic, it is pretty well known they limit the capabilities of phones, or force them to put on a specific VZW modified OS or select software, prior to allowing them into their inner circle. This was seen a lot in the Palm phone line.

Old 12-15-2009, 1:35 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDay View Post
Why would you use AT&T? Their pricing is too high and their service sucks. The only reason people aren't using iPhones on T-Mobile is because the iPhone's 3G wont work on any network except AT&T (and Android is better anyway), other GSM phones aren't gimped out like this.
I missed the part where I said I would use ATT. I never would. Hence, sticking with VZW as much as I am an Apple fan and love the iPhone.

Old 12-15-2009, 1:36 PM
Calguns Addict

Apple still have the patent on the "multi-touch" zoom, rotate, etc...

*sigh*

That's a good one...

New to Calguns, check here first:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...ad.php?t=56818
Old 12-15-2009, 1:42 PM
Veteran Member

I agree that historically VZW has had a bad track record with their branding and controls over feature sets but that is a thing of the past.

All PDA's now come with little to no branding and wifi enabled. I give credit to big red for recognizing past wrongs and fixing them.
e
In regards to the android OS, it hasn't been touched one bit.
Old 12-15-2009, 1:51 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
I agree that historically VZW has had a bad track record with their branding and controls over feature sets but that is a thing of the past.

All PDA's now come with little to no branding and wifi enabled. I give credit to big red for recognizing past wrongs and fixing them.
e
In regards to the android OS, it hasn't been touched one bit.
okay okay... I will digress slightly on knowing if the Android OS is gimped out or not as I do not own it and have not researched that fact per se, I made a pretty reasonable assumption that tactic of theirs is still in play today.

BUT, I do not give big red to much credit yet as they (1) balked on the iPhone (2) have a overall selection of phones - smart phones especially - and make no bones about the fact they do not care about cool phones, but only care about the network. well, the network is solid it seems, so time to start caring about the phone options and (3) no Android for them and (4) their pricing and plan options blow. Several companies offering such better deals: roll over minutes, pricing, plan options, rates, etc - VZW never seems to play ball in better pricing when others are giving more for the money.

I am a 10+ year Palm user and use a Centro now. The Pre came out and VZW is suppose to get it in early 2010. Well, with 10+ years I have 10+ years of legacy data I want to carry forward as I have through 5 different Palm variations.. well, we will see if the rumors are true. If so, I might go that way and see how the rumored VZW iPhone goes as that is what I want.. but I will not leave VZW as their coverage and service are always great.

Old 12-15-2009, 2:10 PM
Veteran Member

VZW doesn't have android phones? They currently sell the top two android based devices. The Droid and the Eris.

In regards to their pricing, yes they are the most expensive but AT&T has virtually the same pricing in regards to voice and data plans. A big plus with them is network quality and coverage.

The fact that they turned down the iPhones was mainly due to huge concessions that Apple wanted in terms of data revenue. Whether or not that was a smart decision is debatable.

At the end of the day end users have the option of choosing whichever carrier works best for them. And that's how it should be.
Old 12-15-2009, 2:13 PM
Veteran Member

Pinch zoom is supported by the android 2.0 OS. The dolphin browser currently uses it. Its not a solely iPhone capability.
Old 12-15-2009, 2:18 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
VZW doesn't have android phones? They currently sell the top two android based devices. The Droid and the Eris
I was talking the actual Google Android... which won't be a VZW phone

Quote:
The fact that they turned down the iPhones was mainly due to huge concessions that Apple wanted in terms of data revenue. Whether or not that was a smart decision is debatable.
But it was also said that Apple couldnt hang with the software and OS input that VZW wanted.. i.e., gimp the phone

Old 12-15-2009, 2:27 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Wow. Not sure who told you LTE wasn't headed to handsets but that is completely inaccurate. I've sat in on the actual performance tests of LTE and have the actual technology roadmap in my possession. LTE is absolutely coming to handsets once the power issues are addressed.
I didn't say it wasn't, I said that LTE is aimed more at people who use mobile broadband on their notebooks and people who live in areas that don't have broadband service.

Old 12-15-2009, 2:31 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
if what you say is true, it would go contrary to VZWs history of determining what can come on the phone - apps wise + what THEY require they want on the phone + their history of hamstringing phones so as to minimize their support efforts.

Google the topic, it is pretty well known they limit the capabilities of phones, or force them to put on a specific VZW modified OS or select software, prior to allowing them into their inner circle. This was seen a lot in the Palm phone line.
Verizon joined the Open Handset Alliance over two years ago. They have been allowing the use of non-Verizon branded handsets that had all features for about the same amount of time.

http://www.bloggingstocks.com/2007/1...dset-alliance/

http://www.engadget.com/2007/11/27/v...evice-in-2008/

Old 12-15-2009, 2:32 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jicko View Post
Apple still have the patent on the "multi-touch" zoom, rotate, etc...

*sigh*

That's a good one...
Just root your android phone or flash a EU firmware to it to unlock that feature.

Old 12-15-2009, 2:39 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
I was talking the actual Google Android... which won't be a VZW phone
Android is an OS and set of hardware specifications not a phone. I also seriously doubt Google is going to start offering a handset. The one that they have been giving out to their employees is an HTC handset (HTC Passion). Google has also stated many times that they have no plans to develop or sell phones or hardware. This is just all hype.

Old 12-15-2009, 2:48 PM
Calguns Addict

yes, I know that Android is an "OS" and yes I knew that the actual Google phone itself is an HTC.. I was big picture talking, I assumed we all knew that here.

but I could have sworn I read that Google does plan too sell this phone direct - and you pick an applicable provider from a dorp down when you buy, no?

Old 12-15-2009, 2:59 PM
Veteran Member

There is no need to root your android phone to get pinch zoom capability. Its already there in the OS. It just needs to be written into the software. The Dolphin browser utilizes that functionality now.
Old 12-15-2009, 3:17 PM
Veteran Member

Word is Googlers does plan to sell the device themselves but at this stage of the game all of those type of decisions can change rapidly. For example, an unsubsidized phone would run close to $600. Not too many people want to pay that. They want a carrier to subsidize the cost when you sign a contract.
Old 12-15-2009, 3:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
I didn't say it wasn't, I said that LTE is aimed more at people who use mobile broadband on their notebooks and people who live in areas that don't have broadband service.
Long Term Evolution is just what it says roadmap for future growth - the mini HDMI out points to the possibility of streaming HD video from say net-flix over the VZ network - this is going to happen as is a shift to VOIP - Wi-Max LTE and HSDPA + all are being heavily geared toward the future of mobile torrents ect.

Or how about storage they has SSD drives over 2tb now that are smaller than an iphone and could store hundreds of HD movies - or playstation 4 portable ect.
Old 12-15-2009, 5:52 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
yes, I know that Android is an "OS" and yes I knew that the actual Google phone itself is an HTC.. I was big picture talking, I assumed we all knew that here.

but I could have sworn I read that Google does plan too sell this phone direct - and you pick an applicable provider from a dorp down when you buy, no?
You read a rumor that Google plans to sell that phone direct. If you don't believe me show me the Google press release.

Old 12-15-2009, 5:59 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Or how about storage they has SSD drives over 2tb now that are smaller than an iphone and could store hundreds of HD movies - or playstation 4 portable ect.
Okay now that's just funny. Have you seen the 1TB SSD drives? They take up two PCI-E bays. They cost about $4700 for a low end one, the high end ones go for over $6000. These are made by combining 4 256gb SSD drives and a raid controller onto a PCI-E board.

http://www.itechnews.net/2009/04/26/...i-express-ssd/

ETA: The mobile providers also do not want people using bandwidth intensive programs, it cuts into their profit margins. Just look at the transfer limits Sprint, Verizon and others place on the mobile broadband plans.

Last edited by JDay; 12-15-2009 at 6:03 PM..
Old 12-15-2009, 9:27 PM

Quote:
Word is Googlers does plan to sell the device themselves but at this stage of the game all of those type of decisions can change rapidly. For example, an unsubsidized phone would run close to $600. Not too many people want to pay that. They want a carrier to subsidize the cost when you sign a contract.
There was no official word on them selling it, i been following the news articles on the nexus , but no one can confirm if there going to sell it or not. If your in the know let us know...lol. Im waiting for the HTC Bravo, i like android but i love WM .
Old 12-15-2009, 10:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Okay now that's just funny. Have you seen the 1TB SSD drives? They take up two PCI-E bays. They cost about $4700 for a low end one, the high end ones go for over $6000. These are made by combining 4 256gb SSD drives and a raid controller onto a PCI-E board.

ETA: The mobile providers also do not want people using bandwidth intensive programs, it cuts into their profit margins. Just look at the transfer limits Sprint, Verizon and others place on the mobile broadband plans.
post fail

Have you seen 1tbssd drives that don't suck ? apparently tis not so - I don't have the new 2tb version pics handy but they are slightly smaller

these arent f/s for individuals yet but next year they will be sub 1K

even the same company has 3.5in drives that are half the cost now 2200

Carriers know full well mobile torrents are going to increase, our company creates billing software and we are constantly adding new rate codes for data charges for our customers who included ATT in the islands

Oh wait found one from Sony - New pricing for these will be set at the CES show next month

Last edited by stormy_clothing; 12-15-2009 at 10:19 PM..
Old 12-15-2009, 10:26 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
post fail

Have you seen 1tbssd drives that don't suck ? apparently tis not so - I don't have the new 2tb version pics handy but they are slightly smaller

These were announced back in January and have yet to come to market, vaporware.

http://www.markstechnologynews.com/2...t-1tb-ssd.html

Quote:
Memory stick? You've gotta be kidding me, they've been trying to get people to use those for years. Nobody wants them because they are proprietary. Looking at the spec sheet for these my standard SATA-II drives are much faster. These are not going to catch on.

Old 12-16-2009, 6:56 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
You read a rumor that Google plans to sell that phone direct. If you don't believe me show me the Google press release.
yes, yes of course.. as we all know in this technology game, rumors abound, final products and specs change, specifics get altered, etc. right now there is a lot of speculation and assumption we are all working on concerning bits and pieces of info. time will tell.

so, I ask you, show me the press release by Google that says they do NOT plan to sell direct as I can show many sources that say they will

"Despite previously saying that it was not interested in selling its own piece of mobile hardware, Google is moving forward with its own smart phone dubbed Nexus One, which is set for release early next year."

"It will also be a device sold directly to consumers,"

"The Wall Street Journal, New York Times and TechCrunch.com said the phone will be the first phone completely designed by Google and branded entirely with its name. The phone, which will be built by HTC, will be sold directly from Google and won't be tied to a carrier"

Last edited by glock_this; 12-16-2009 at 6:58 AM..
Old 12-16-2009, 10:53 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
yes, yes of course.. as we all know in this technology game, rumors abound, final products and specs change, specifics get altered, etc. right now there is a lot of speculation and assumption we are all working on concerning bits and pieces of info. time will tell.

so, I ask you, show me the press release by Google that says they do NOT plan to sell direct as I can show many sources that say they will

"Despite previously saying that it was not interested in selling its own piece of mobile hardware, Google is moving forward with its own smart phone dubbed Nexus One, which is set for release early next year."

"It will also be a device sold directly to consumers,"

"The Wall Street Journal, New York Times and TechCrunch.com said the phone will be the first phone completely designed by Google and branded entirely with its name. The phone, which will be built by HTC, will be sold directly from Google and won't be tied to a carrier"
Quote:
Google doesn't care about hardware. Google makes software—fantastic, awesome, world-changing software. That is pretty much all it does. I don't mean that as criticism; Google's obsession with software is one of its greatest strengths. From its inception, Google has focused on bringing amazing code to people all over the world, across all devices. Most of its products run on the Web and can be accessed on any computer or phone on the planet. Even its non-Web software shows no bias toward any single platform: Chrome, its Web browser, runs on Windows, Mac, and Linux. Even though it makes a rival phone OS, Google offers several apps for the iPhone—in fact, Google would make a lot more iPhone apps if only Apple would let it.

Google's platform independence isn't meant as altruism—it's good strategy. The company gets the vast bulk of its revenue from advertising. Thus Google has no business reason to care whether I got on the Web using an iPhone, a Droid, a BlackBerry, or a Windows 7 desktop—all it cares about is that I got on the Web at all and that I stay on the Web all day, every day.

But all that will have to change if Google gets into the hardware business. How do you market a phone? By promising that it will do things that no other phone can do. In other words, for the Google Phone to be truly stellar, Google would have to imbue it with exclusive features—violating the core Google principle of platform independence.
Full article here.

Old 12-16-2009, 11:54 AM
Calguns Addict

yeah yeah yeah

we can Google articles back and forth and post them, I posted my quotes, you posted yours.. in the end, neither of us knows shizzzz