Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 12-13-2009, 2:38 PM

Default City of Sacramento to consider supporting Chicago gun ban

I didn't see this anywhere else, so I hope this isn't a dupe. Copied and pasted from the Sacramento Bee's website:

TUESDAY

Sacramento considers filing brief in support of Chicago's handgun ban

What: Sacramento City Council will consider whether to authorize the City Attorney's Office to join as amicus curae with other cities arguing that the U.S. Constitution's 2nd Amendment doesn't apply to states and local governments. Last year, the Supreme Court court struck down the District of Columbia's strict gun ban, ruling it was an infringement on Americans' fundamental rights. Now, in McDonald v.Chicago, the Supreme Court will consider whether it applies states and local governments.

When: 6 p.m.

Where:1st floor council chambers, City Hall, 915 I St., Sacramento

I may actually try to attend this, if only to see our completely useless local rulers discuss the merits of curtailing of our rights. I'm sure the rationalizations will be hilarious.
Old 12-13-2009, 2:48 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I can't wait to read which side of history our friends in Sacramento wish to align themselves.

I do not read private messages, and my inbox is usually full. If you need to reach me, please email me instead.

My comments are not the official position or a statement of any organization unless stated otherwise. My comments are not legal advice; if you want or need legal advice, hire a lawyer.
Old 12-13-2009, 2:58 PM
Calguns Addict
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Tungsten View Post
I didn't see this anywhere else, so I hope this isn't a dupe. Copied and pasted from the Sacramento Bee's website:

TUESDAY

Sacramento considers filing brief in support of Chicago's handgun ban

What: Sacramento City Council will consider whether to authorize the City Attorney's Office to join as amicus curae with other cities arguing that the U.S. Constitution's 2nd Amendment doesn't apply to states and local governments. Last year, the Supreme Court court struck down the District of Columbia's strict gun ban, ruling it was an infringement on Americans' fundamental rights. Now, in McDonald v.Chicago, the Supreme Court will consider whether it applies states and local governments.

When: 6 p.m.

Where:1st floor council chambers, City Hall, 915 I St., Sacramento

I may actually try to attend this, if only to see our completely useless local rulers discuss the merits of curtailing of our rights. I'm sure the rationalizations will be hilarious.
I would like to see all C.G's here, and gun owners in general, in Sacramento show up for this in direct opposition.
‎"If Congress can do whatever in their discretion can be done by money, and will promote the General Welfare, the Government is no longer a limited one, possessing enumerated powers, but an indefinite one, subject to particular exceptions."
--James Madison
'Letter to Edmund Pendleton', 1792
Old 12-13-2009, 3:03 PM
Calguns Addict

If you get to ask questions, ask them if they agree with the origional reason why our state constitution does not include RKBA, because they didn't want Mexican Americans to have guns.

Then ask them what other races they want to discriminate against.

Ask them if they want to legalize slavery too.
Old 12-13-2009, 3:03 PM
Veteran Member
CGN Contributor

Sorry if I didn't read it carefully, but what is the date of the meeting??? Cause I definitely want to attend this!

edit: It says Tuesday, so just so I'm totally clear, this Tuesday? Also, can you please post the link?

Last edited by NorCalMama; 12-13-2009 at 3:07 PM..
Old 12-13-2009, 3:05 PM

It's this Tuesday, which is the 15th.
Old 12-13-2009, 3:11 PM
Veteran Member
CGN Contributor

What should a person attending read up on in order to prepare for the meeting? Any lawsuits? Any laws? Any other materials that would be beneficial in preparation??
Thanks! And thank you for the heads up!
Old 12-13-2009, 3:13 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by wash View Post
If you get to ask questions, ask them if they agree with the origional reason why our state constitution does not include RKBA, because they didn't want Mexican Americans to have guns.

Then ask them what other races they want to discriminate against.

Ask them if they want to legalize slavery too.
Yeah, ask them about the Colfax Massacre and the subsequent United States v. Cruikshank, which the Chicago case is trying to overturn. Ask them if they think it's cool to massacre blacks and then escape prosecution, because that's the side they are defending.

Print out some copies of the San Francisco Chronicle 1924 article explaining the purpose of our CCW law, which is to keep Latinos, Chinese and legal aliens from being armed.

It's amazing to see people still attempting to defend the Cruikshank ruling. It's the last Jim Crow court ruling still in force in the US that I am aware of.
"And the kids used to come up and reach in the pool and rub my leg down, so it was straight, then watch the hair come back up again. Theyd look at it. So I learned about roaches, I learned about kids jumping on my lap... And Ive loved kids jumping on my lap.
"Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids.
"Unlike the African American community, with notable exceptions, the Latino community is an incredibly diverse community."
- Joe Biden
Old 12-13-2009, 3:19 PM

Here's the link where I learned of this: http://www.sacbee.com/ourregion/story/2392762.html I went looking for further information on the City Council's website, and I couldn't find anything, so either the agenda isn't published there, or it's well hidden in there.

Honestly, I may not be the best person to ask re: recommended readings to prep for facing the city council. I'm wondering if there will even be much time allotted for public comment. I wonder of the City council is even aware of all of the pending cases awaiting a decision in the Chicago case? Competence and awareness don't seem to be their strong suit.
Old 12-13-2009, 4:01 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I'll be there. Suit and tie on.
CGN and NVS
Old 12-13-2009, 4:06 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Here you go:

http://sacramento.granicus.com/Agend...=8&event_id=98

Item #28

28. Estimated Time: 15 minutes
City of Sacramento Amicus Support in McDonald v. Chicago
Recommendation: Discuss and consider whether to authorize the City Attorney’s
Office to take the necessary steps to have the City of Sacramento join as amicus
curiae with various cities in McDonald v. Chicago, United States Supreme Court Case
no. 08-1521, in support of the position that the Second Amendment to the United
States Constitution does not apply to the States and local governments.
Contact: Eileen Teichert, City Attorney, (916) 808-5346, Office of the City Attorney.
CGN and NVS
Old 12-13-2009, 4:17 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Ever the diligent public servants - they're spending time and money on this item instead of addressing city issues.
Old 12-13-2009, 4:23 PM

their argument doesn't make sense. if the supreme court rules the second amendment doesn't apply to the states, that would open the door for states to say the 1st amendment doesn't apply to the states. either the bill of right protects all citizens or none. i see a slippery slope. am i wrong?
Old 12-13-2009, 4:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalgunner View Post
their argument doesn't make sense. if the supreme court rules the second amendment doesn't apply to the states, that would open the door for states to say the 1st amendment doesn't apply to the states. either the bill of right protects all citizens or none. i see a slippery slope. am i wrong?
Same thing I was thinking. If it doesn't apply to the states, where is it supposed to apply?
Old 12-13-2009, 4:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalgunner View Post
Yes, you're wrong. You would think it was that simple, but it's not. Look for an explanation of the legal concept of "incorporation." It dictates some parts of the BoR applies while others don't.

And, actually, it does apply to "all citizens." But only if the entity doing the limiting is the federal government.
Old 12-13-2009, 5:01 PM
Calguns Addict

"In support of the position that the Second Amendment to the United States Constitution
does not apply to the states and local governments."

Anyone who supports that position is a traitor to this country.
Old 12-13-2009, 5:15 PM
Pre-Banned
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Oh good, they have put aside 15 minutes to talk about it... How nice of them. What can get done in government here in 15 minutes?
NRA Life Member

Old 12-13-2009, 5:18 PM

i understand incorporation of the bill of rights. the supreme court ruled on incorporating most of the bill of rights to the states, in cases interpreting the 14 amendment. i'm guessing the 2nd amendment wasn't part of the rulings.
i think its a slippery slope when the supreme court sets precedence by picking and choosing god given rights.
Old 12-13-2009, 5:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcalidave View Post
Oh good, they have put aside 15 minutes to talk about it... How nice of them. What can get done in government here in 15 minutes?
They may have only 15 min on the agenda, but if people put in speaker cards on that item, they are obligated to hear the public input. They will usually limit it to 3 minutes per speaker, but if 20 people put in cards, that is an hour. Get there early, get your cards in, practice your speech and get all your points in the time limit. Make them very aware and uncomfortable about the position that they are considering.
A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects. - Lazarus Long
Old 12-13-2009, 5:44 PM
Veteran Member

Default Speaking at hearing.

If you want to make a difference, please get together before the hearing so that you can make a coordinated attack.

Please don't focus on the 2 amendment because the real issue of the MacDonald case is not just the 2 amendment, it is the whole bill of rights and that needs to be driven home to them.

The majority of Americans actually believe that the Federal Bill of Rights already applies to the 50 states.

Someone needs to stand up and say something like this.

"I joined the Military, put my life on the line because I believed in supporting and defending the US Constitution and the Bill of Rights and now I find out that I didn't even have those rights, that I put my life to protect freedoms that don't exist".

Our country fought a bloody Civil War that tore the country apart and after that war, some politicians actually tried to do the morally right thing and grant equality under the law to all through the 14 th amendment.

The 14th amendment was overturned by a Racist Supreme court when they overturned the murder convicitons of those responsible for the Collafax Massacre, a Massacre where it is estimated that Sheriff Crunnshiak and his white hooded friends murdered 150 blacks.

The MacDonald case is about finally killing the remaining vestiges of the Jim Crow era.

Like it or not, this country was founded by the gun. When peaceful means to redress of grievances with the King of England failed, he left no choice but armed resisitance.

Our government is supposed to operate under the consent of the governed and the second amendment was put into the bill of rights because the people who founded this country did not trust governments and wanted the people to maintain the means to replace the government by force.

If you are trully for equal rights, then the only thing you can do is file a brief against Chicago.

The Bill of Rights is a all or nothing package deal.

BTW, Sacramento has a large Afro American population, I am sure a brief supporting Chicago will go over real well.

Nicki
Old 12-13-2009, 5:52 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcalidave View Post
That's because "they" likely have already made up their mind, but the poster after you is right about public speakers
Old 12-13-2009, 6:01 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Here you go:

http://www.cityofsacramento.org/council/index.html

I wonder which council member's idea was it to bring this forth.
CGN and NVS
Old 12-13-2009, 6:26 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Opposition is welcome.

From a practical standpoint, I don't think it's that relevant. They're also opposing a bunch of CA state DAs as well as the AG. I believe the Chicago case is in fine shape/good hands regardless of what Sacramento throws at it.

Given that the antis are trying to pass some bad laws in San Mateo County, I'd hope that all those in that area are still focusing on that since it's on the same day (Tues 15 Dec).

Bill Wiese
San Jose, CA

CGF Board Member / NRA Benefactor Life Member / CRPA life member

No postings of mine here, unless otherwise specifically noted, are
to be construed as formal or informal positions of the Calguns.Net
ownership, The Calguns Foundation, Inc. ("CGF"), the NRA, or my
employer. No posts of mine on Calguns are to be construed as
legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.
Old 12-13-2009, 6:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP1911 View Post
Here you go:

http://www.cityofsacramento.org/council/index.html

I wonder which council member's idea was it to bring this forth.
I just saw an agenda and video link on that site. Does this mean it will be video taped and available to see afterwords for the rest of us Calgunners?
I am humbled at the efforts of so many Patriots on this and other forums, CGN, CGF, SAF, NRA, CRPF, MDS etc. etc. I am lucky to be living in an era of a new awakening of the American Spirit; One that embraces it's Constitutional History, and it's Founding Fathers vision, especially in an age of such uncertainty that we are now in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by toby View Post
Go cheap you will always have cheap and if you sell, it will sell for even cheaper. Buy the best you can every time.
^^^ Wise Man. Take his advice
Old 12-13-2009, 6:53 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

^^ Yes.
CGN and NVS
Old 12-13-2009, 7:25 PM
I need a LIFE!!

A great point, Bill- let's direct our attention to those issues which require our direct and immediate support.

The ground war is in San Mateo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwiese View Post
Opposition is welcome.

From a practical standpoint, I don't think it's that relevant. They're also opposing a bunch of CA state DAs as well as the AG. I believe the Chicago case is in fine shape/good hands regardless of what Sacramento throws at it.

Given that the antis are trying to pass some bad laws in San Mateo County, I'd hope that all those in that area are still focusing on that since it's on the same day (Tues 15 Dec).

I do not read private messages, and my inbox is usually full. If you need to reach me, please email me instead.

My comments are not the official position or a statement of any organization unless stated otherwise. My comments are not legal advice; if you want or need legal advice, hire a lawyer.
Old 12-13-2009, 8:09 PM
I need a LIFE!!

If you absolutely positively can not make it to San Mateo, then feel free to head over to Sac City to oppose this.

I think asking them why they support the Colfax Massacre and oppose the Bill of Rights is interesting. Remind them that a vote for an Amicus in support of Chicago is a vote against the Bill of Rights and that even unreconstructed racist Confederates weren't that politically dumb.

-Gene

DONATE NOW
to support the rights of California gun owners. Follow @CalgunsFdn on Twitter.
Opinions posted in this account are my own and not the approved position of any organization.
I read PMs. But, if you need a response, include an email address or email me directly!

"The problem with being a gun rights supporter is that the left hates guns and the right hates rights." -Anon
Old 12-14-2009, 4:55 PM

Maybe someone in attendance can ask the council members if they have CCW permits. Could be an interesting piece of information to argue a point.
Old 12-14-2009, 5:15 PM
Veteran Member

It would only be "interesting" if those on the City Council actually have one... The Mayor (IIRC) has his own Protection Detail though...
Old 12-14-2009, 6:33 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I'll be on crutches. Now all I have to do is figure out how to wear a suit and conceal the knee brace.
CGN and NVS
Old 12-14-2009, 6:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwiese View Post
I believe the Chicago case is in fine shape/good hands regardless of what Sacramento throws at it.
And how.
Old 12-14-2009, 8:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarandFan View Post
And how.
You need a lot of back reading in this forum to answer your question.
Old 12-14-2009, 8:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Python2 View Post
You need a lot of back reading in this forum to answer your question.
You don't get the (dated) vernacular - he's agreeing with the post he quoted....

Old 12-15-2009, 7:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyW View Post
You don't get the (dated) vernacular - he's agreeing with the post he quoted....

My bad, I jump the gun. Need glasses to differentiate period and question mark
Old 12-15-2009, 6:58 PM
Calguns Addict

Sacramento just voted to join in the brief...
Old 12-15-2009, 7:03 PM
I need a LIFE!!

There were three commentators against. The last one was a Calgunner and I think the middle one was too. The last one did an outstanding job while the middle one was also very good.

-Gene

DONATE NOW
to support the rights of California gun owners. Follow @CalgunsFdn on Twitter.
Opinions posted in this account are my own and not the approved position of any organization.
I read PMs. But, if you need a response, include an email address or email me directly!

"The problem with being a gun rights supporter is that the left hates guns and the right hates rights." -Anon
Old 12-15-2009, 7:26 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I was there. The first one rambled on (older guy). The other two were very good. Councilmember Robbie Waters (Ex -Sac County Sheriff gets it and voted no). I believe Mayor Johnson voted against.

It passed however.
CGN and NVS
Old 12-15-2009, 7:47 PM
Veteran Member
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP1911 View Post
I was there. The first one rambled on (older guy). The other two were very good. Councilmember Robbie Waters (Ex -Sac County Sheriff gets it and voted no). I believe Mayor Johnson voted against.

It passed however.
My husband and I were there also (I sat in front of you actually) and we couldn't figure out who the second "no" belonged to. So it was Johnson???
Old 12-15-2009, 7:53 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

From talking to one of the other speakers, he said it was Johnson.
CGN and NVS
Old 12-15-2009, 8:14 PM
Pre-Banned
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowardW56 View Post
Sacramento just voted to join in the brief...
Idiots. Do any of them have a clue what they are doing? Do they even know why they are trying to support this?
NRA Life Member