Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 12-08-2009, 12:38 PM

Default Buying a AR from private party in CA?

I know of someone in CA that is selling his AR. I was wondering if it is legal to buy an AR from a private party in CA? I also reside in CA. Of course I'm assuming I'd have to convert it to legal statis. As far as reporting the sale to DOJ? Is that also an issue for me to be concerned about succesfully getting thru without major hassles or worse? Sorry for the noob questions. Thanks for your help.
Old 12-08-2009, 12:45 PM

It is legal to transfer OLL ARs between private parties. You will need to go through the whole FFL thing but as long as the rifle was legally obtained, is not listed on the list of banned lowers, and not configured in an illegal maner you are good to go.

Your homework will be to find out if the rifle fits the criteria mentioned above. It is solely up to you to protect yourself from the law. Never trust someone at their word, not because they are untrustworthy, but because they might not know exactly what they are talking about. Make sure you check your facts.

To simplify, if all is in proper order, yes, you can transfer to a private party.
Old 12-08-2009, 12:55 PM

Cool. Thanks! I'll have to do some homework and see where it goes from there. I don't think the seller is knowledgable about his gun, or what features it has or doesn't have. He said he bought it before the AW ban (and is the original owner, or at least that's what I've heard), so it might need to be legalized. I get the feeling it's going to cost $$ to buy it, and more to get it legal. I'll have to figure all that out, then decide if it's worth the time, hassle and $$ to do it, or just get a Saiga 223, or Kel-Tec 223 instead. Any and all feedback is welcome. Thanks.
Old 12-08-2009, 1:19 PM
Calguns Addict

Just FYI, you cannot buy a rifle PPT that was vol-registered due to AW status (ie. anything that's on the "evil" list).

So if he bought it before the ban, registered it (assuming it's an AW), it's a no go.

The fate of the wounded rest in the hands of the ones who apply the first dressing.
Old 12-08-2009, 1:37 PM

Use this first to determine the status:

http://www.calguns.net/caawid/flowchart.pdf
Old 12-08-2009, 1:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbogg View Post
Kel-Tec 223 instead. Any and all feedback is welcome. Thanks.
Build your own OLL rifle before you do this.....
Old 12-08-2009, 1:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiteQwill View Post
Just FYI, you cannot buy a rifle PPT that was vol-registered due to AW status (ie. anything that's on the "evil" list).

So if he bought it before the ban, registered it (assuming it's an AW), it's a no go.
Definitely. If it was purchased before the original ban and registered as an AW it cannot be transferred.

Also, not sure of the condition of the rifle but you might end up saving yourself some cash and headaches by building an OLL rifle from scratch.
Old 12-08-2009, 1:46 PM

for what they are I like the Kel Tecs
but i lurve the ARs a little more
Old 12-08-2009, 2:07 PM

If it a really great price, the other option is to buy the entire rifle but without the actual lower and the high cap magazines. There is no need to go through a FFL, since the lower is not involved. Buy your own OLL, put a bullet button on and add it to the parts you bought (i.e. upper). This a bit of a hassle but it the prices is right.  Oh, do not forget that you can only have 10 round magazines.
Old 12-08-2009, 2:18 PM
Dinosaur

odds are if its a pre-ban rifle; it'll most likely be a listed weapon... so JustBill's advice might be your best shot in all this.

I like the Saigas, if that matters much.
Old 12-08-2009, 2:27 PM
Calguns Addict

the worst case, would be that it's pre-ban and he didn't register it at all...but you can still buy all the parts, just don't overpay
Old 12-08-2009, 6:02 PM

I like the Saigus 223's too. I'm looking to buy a 223 that won't cause me any grief if stopped by LE.