Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Rimfire Firearms
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Rimfire Firearms .22, .17 and other Rimfire Handguns and Rifles

Old 12-05-2009, 10:38 PM

Default What distance do you guys sight in your .22 pistols?

Found out my mom bought a Ruger 22/45 years ago(pre mark III barrel indicator) when they first came out, and I don't believe it was ever fired. I took it out to test fire, and it shoots way off at 7 yards(4+ inches off poa)

I'd like to take it out again, but have no idea at what distance to sight it in at. I've seen 25 and 50 yard recomendations for 10/22 rifles, but at what distance should I sight in the pistol? FWIW, I've never sighted in a pistol before, this is the only one I've ever had access to with adjustable sights.
Old 12-06-2009, 1:27 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Not sure I understand the question.. are you asking for like a generic distance to shoot the pistol from? That can vary depending on the gun being used, but some common distances are 5yd, 10yd, 15 yd etc. Bulleye shooting usually consists of 25yd and 50yd competitions, IPSC usually consists of 7, 10 and 15 yd competitions.

Basically just decide what YOU want to shoot and adjust to that. Theres no rule saying you have to shoot from any said distance.. just shoot from what is confortable to you and try to improve to a longer distance from there. Keep in mind that accuracy isn't solely reliant on your gun or your gun's sights.. proper stance and technique make a very big difference on where your shots go. Bench rest the gun while you adjust the sights to make sure it is truely on target. If you still have accuracy issues, its time to look at your stance, grip and shooting habits

And don't forget to have fun with your brand new free pistol! That sort of thing doesn't happen every day lol.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid." - Albert Einstein

“I have a very strict gun control policy: if there’s a gun around, I want to be in control of it.” - Clint Eastwood
Old 12-06-2009, 6:22 AM

Try this. Stand at the firing line and in your good throwing arm have a empty soda can. Now throw it. Go out and put up a target where the can fell to earth. That is good plinking distance. Sight it in and go to town on the can.
Old 12-06-2009, 9:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meety Peety View Post
Not sure I understand the question.. are you asking for like a generic distance to shoot the pistol from? That can vary depending on the gun being used, but some common distances are 5yd, 10yd, 15 yd etc. Bulleye shooting usually consists of 25yd and 50yd competitions, IPSC usually consists of 7, 10 and 15 yd competitions.

Basically just decide what YOU want to shoot and adjust to that. Theres no rule saying you have to shoot from any said distance.. just shoot from what is confortable to you and try to improve to a longer distance from there. Keep in mind that accuracy isn't solely reliant on your gun or your gun's sights.. proper stance and technique make a very big difference on where your shots go. Bench rest the gun while you adjust the sights to make sure it is truely on target. If you still have accuracy issues, its time to look at your stance, grip and shooting habits

And don't forget to have fun with your brand new free pistol! That sort of thing doesn't happen every day lol.

I guess I was just wondering if there is a zero distance for .22 that will keep the bullet close to impact at multiple distances(much like battlesighting an ar-15 will keep the point of impact within 2" of poa out to 300 yards).
Old 12-06-2009, 9:36 AM
Veteran Member

Not really, depending on the type of ammo, (standard high velocity, etc) length of barrel, barrel twist etc, sight in ranges can vary.

As a rule of thumb I sight in pistols at 25 yards off a rest so I have a constant to compare to. Kinda a standard distance. With a rifle 25 yards to sight in/boresight scope and then 100 yards to check how the groups may open up.
Old 12-06-2009, 10:01 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbackus View Post
I guess I was just wondering if there is a zero distance for .22 that will keep the bullet close to impact at multiple distances(much like battlesighting an ar-15 will keep the point of impact within 2" of poa out to 300 yards).
I see, 25yd should do that about as best as you can. The much shorter sight base of a pistol makes this a lot harder to achieve, but 25yd should give you a decent middle ground for most "average" pistol ranges.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid." - Albert Einstein

“I have a very strict gun control policy: if there’s a gun around, I want to be in control of it.” - Clint Eastwood
Old 12-06-2009, 10:55 AM
Calguns Addict

I generally use around 20yards for sighting in my pistols unless its for a certain target game.

"While Ruger DA revolvers may be built like a tank, they have the aesthetics of one also,
although I suppose there are a few tanks which I owe an apology to for that remark"

Old 12-06-2009, 11:43 AM
In Memoriam

25 yards
Old 12-06-2009, 1:54 PM
Calguns Addict

i use 25 yards for all my pistols, be they RF or CF...mostly because the ranges i shoot at only go to 25 yards
Old 12-06-2009, 7:14 PM

25 yds for irons and red dot scopes.