Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Camping, Hiking and Outdoor Activities
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Camping, Hiking and Outdoor Activities Camping, hiking, and other outdoor activities within.

Old 11-14-2005, 9:39 AM

Talking Any Paintball Players here?!

I used to play for an amateur team and I'm playing with the idea of playing again. This sport combines the best of all worlds: adrenaline rush, shooting, and running (a good cardio workout!). Anyhow, where is a good paintball store in the Bay Area? How about fields? Is Paintball Paradise (SF) and Fairgrounds paintball in Vallejo still around?

I got out of paintball just when the full auto electronic markers (Angel, Shocker, etc.) and high pressure air were coming out. No way would I face those guys with what I had before.

Also, if you know of anyone selling a complete paintball package with the marker, mask, pads, hopper, paintballs, etc., please let me know at shooterx10 at hotmail dot com. I want to be ready to go and not have to shop around for stuff other than air and paintballs. I'm particularly interested in WDP Angels, WGP Autocockers with or without E-Blade, Airgun Design E-mags, the high end stuff.

Old 11-14-2005, 1:18 PM

Ive been playing for years, not a lot of tournment ball mostly scenario ball and big games. You will have fun in tournment ball but the politics can get nasty

If you know what you want check Ebay seems like there are allways good deals on high end stuff that people are getting rid of. Kids that go to collage seen to allways need $$ and don't have the time anymore, look for them I've got good deals.

Tom
NRA Endowment Life Member
CRPA Life Member
NRA Certified Instructor
Ruger Armorer
Remington Armorer
Sig Armorer
Firearms Instructor
Old 11-14-2005, 1:37 PM

I know you said that you didn't want to shop around, but Craiglist has got some killer deal sometimes. I've still got an Autococker, Angel and a Spyder clone. PB Paradise I think is still there, but there a bunch of other stores in the Bay Area too. Vallejo Fairgrounds is gone..... The cost of paint to practice essentially drove me out of the game, but today you can buy a case of balls for $30! If I were to get back into paintball, I would look at one of Bob Long's Intimadator series of guns.
Old 11-14-2005, 1:42 PM
Veteran Member

I play paintball and love it! I don't play speedball for one very good reason. The person with more money wins. In Speed ball you have these guys dump thousand into a full auto gun that gives anyone with less of a gun just no chance. Money is always the deciding factor in speedball.

I play woods ball. I just played a 3 hour 1 on 2 sniper hunt on 80 acers of heavy wooded land. We had full ghillie suits and only carried paint in our hoppers. I was the player by himself and used six balls total the whole game/day. 3 for one guy and 3 for the other. Neither got one shot off or saw where they came from . In my team I'm the sniper. In a full day of playing I will never use more then 150 balls or go through half a tank (20oz). I play with the old school original Spyder. I have a few little mods but my total cost is fractions of what some people spend for just a gun.

I have played speedball many times and even was on a team for a couple years. Woods ball is just so much better IMO. The real skills of the player and the team come out.

We play in the hills below Loma Prieta. Its about an hour drive from San Jose. If you ever want to play shoot me an e-mail. We have tons of extra guns and gear for people that don't have any. $20 gets you everything you need for the day, gun, paint, air, gear, beer

As for guns to buy. My team and I are a big fans of Mini-mags. They have a wide range of parts and kits for any style of playing. We buy all our guns from www.paintballonline.com and www.opsgear.com . I play with the spyder for one reason....if it ain't broke, don't fix. It has served me well for 7-8 years.

Last edited by bu-bye; 11-14-2005 at 1:57 PM..
Old 11-14-2005, 3:23 PM

Thumbs up

Thanks for all of the suggestions!

I've looked at Bob Long's high end markers and I'm sure the former captain of the Ironmen makes a great gun, but they are butt ugly. Sorry, but that is just my opinion. They look like they came out some alien scifi movie. However, you can't beat the anodization and CNC cuts! I'll always be a fan of the Angel and the Autococker.

Believe it or not, I saw an Autococker Trilogy package for sale at Sportmart for less than $299. However, when it stated on the box that it was made in China, I passed on it. Are all Autocockers made in China?

Some of my former teammates used Spyders. However, they dumped the stock barrel quick because the muzzle end had a habit of denting in and thus breaking the ball when it exited out of the barrel.

Does anyone know anything about the Angels and WGP Autocockers with the E-blade upgrade? I looked around other paintball forums and I can't stand the kind of talk that went around there.

I'll check Craigslist more often for paintball gear. Already, I see something that I like! However, some of the paintall markers on there are overpriced compared to eBay even with shipping! Two+ sets of eyes are better than one, but if any of you see a package deal where it comes with everything to start playing (except for paint and air), please let me know.

Last edited by shooterx10; 11-14-2005 at 3:33 PM..
Old 11-14-2005, 11:50 PM

Airsoft also gives a good workout.
Plus if the SHTF, you can just load up the LBE with real steel. Just don't mix the two

Clod

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooterx10
I used to play for an amateur team and I'm playing with the idea of playing again. This sport combines the best of all worlds: adrenaline rush, shooting, and running (a good cardio workout!). Anyhow, where is a good paintball store in the Bay Area? How about fields? Is Paintball Paradise (SF) and Fairgrounds paintball in Vallejo still around?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg airsoft1.jpg (35.1 KB, 54 views)
Old 11-15-2005, 12:03 AM

If you want most bang for the buck look into an Smart parts Ion. You will need an Halo B loader. Also an 68ci 4500psi high pressure tank. I work in the industry and i know that this will be your best bet for the money.
Old 11-15-2005, 5:54 AM

Me and my old team mates all played with Angels back in the days. They to ruled the field.... All of the guys on my team that still play pretty much converted over to the Intimidator. They are definately not easy on the eyes, but they really do perform. I havn't looked at todays cocker, but I"m sure it still has its bad days with all those moving parts. My cocker has been a pain in the butt! My Angel has never ever let me down.
Old 11-15-2005, 8:34 AM

Question

Bozochu,

Oh cool, we have someone who is in the paintball business!

Just out of curiosity, which paintball mask, jersey, and pants do you recommend? I'm not really a front line player (more like the middle field) so I don't need pants that have to put up with a lot of sliding. While we are at it, which pod/harness system do you recommend?

Do you work for a paintball store or paintball field? I'm eyeing this autococker, but I want to change out the frame to a double-finger trigger frame (perhaps the E-blade) and a drop forward for the nitro tank. Is there a shop around the SF Bay Area that does paintball gunsmithing? I wonder if Paintball Paradise in SF is still around, but their website is down.
Old 12-04-2005, 7:41 AM

Default Pissed off rock climbers

I boulder climb at Santee boulders twice a week. About every two months paintballers shoot up the climbs leaving the climbs greased up and looking like mess. Most p-ballers are considerate and use the the rocks that are not climbed. I've heard a few climbers talk of breaking trigger fingers and bending a ball gun barrel over their heads. I try to direct them to their area and most comply. It always seems to be the p-ballers that don't have the protective gear that shoot up the climbs. Some climbers are pigs to, leaving the rocks chalked up and trash left behind. Santee boulders are turning into a multi-use area so we are going to have to work this out.

Last edited by Greg Beck; 12-04-2005 at 7:45 AM..
Old 12-08-2005, 8:26 AM

hey all, been playing paintball for about 9yrs here in socal. i would stay away from the ion. i know people that went the ion route and had nothing but problems. you can get angels for around the same price of the ion on ebay. i have 3 angels and a phantom pump and they work perfectly. shockers are nice as well. since going to the angel, i would never go to another gun. autocockers are nice, but can be a pain in the arse when they start having problems. i'm not say the angels are perfect, they're just easier to maintain and have fewer problem. as for speedball i don't know any fields that allow full auto. also the high end guns do not have full auto. its just that the players can shoot fast because their guns are able to cycle fast. i can shoot 17 balls/sec and that is considered slow.

shooter - if you want more info on angels i can point you to a forum. the guys there are friendly and are always willing to help. and they don't allow flaming there.
Old 01-02-2006, 12:30 PM

I started playing tournament paintball back in the days of 12 gram pumps. Got out of it a couple of years after the Shocker and Angels showed up. I played with a 'Cocker customized by Carter Machine or a stock MiniMag that Tom Kaye gave to me.

Started playing again when the Stock Guns came back. Phantom Stock Class is tough to beat. Mike at CCI is constantly back ordered. I play with a Carter Comp and a Phantom Stock Class. I just took out the Phantom the other day, but don't know where I put the Carter.

I heard that Tippmann is coming out with a propane powered paintball gun. Actually ignites a small amount of propane to propel the ball.

Randy
Old 01-02-2006, 6:58 PM

Randy

Hey remember me it's Ray from skirmish/fatal swoop. I'm into competition shooting nowadays. I shoot ipsc and steel at raahauges right net to SC village.
Old 01-02-2006, 7:25 PM

Hey Ray,

How'd you know it was me. Must have been the 12 gram pump and the Carter Comp. I used to shoot IPSC with Youngblood and Ken Kidd at Wally World Running Gun a long time ago. Now I'm into bullseye. Drop me an email.

Randy
Old 01-22-2006, 12:05 AM

I use to own my own paintball business and of course played a bunch. Been out of the scene for a few years but have also been thinking of getting back into it. I have owned/shot many of the paintball guns and gear so if you have any questions let me know. I would recommend getting an Angel. They are my favorite gun since they are fast, reliable, and easy to maintain. The Intimidators (Bob Long) are decent but don't shoot as smooth as the Angels. The only gun that shoots as fast and smooth as my Angel is my completely custom Ebladed, free flow internal, Dye cocker. The new Angel speed is suppose to be awesome.

I may be parting with my 2.1 Dark Angel. If you're interested let me know.
Old 01-27-2006, 2:14 PM

I've got an autococker with an eblade. It's just like an ar15... needs to be well maintained. It rips but it's finiky at times. I have a halo and a smart parts tank setup with built in reg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooterx10
Thanks for all of the suggestions!

I've looked at Bob Long's high end markers and I'm sure the former captain of the Ironmen makes a great gun, but they are butt ugly. Sorry, but that is just my opinion. They look like they came out some alien scifi movie. However, you can't beat the anodization and CNC cuts! I'll always be a fan of the Angel and the Autococker.

Believe it or not, I saw an Autococker Trilogy package for sale at Sportmart for less than $299. However, when it stated on the box that it was made in China, I passed on it. Are all Autocockers made in China?

Some of my former teammates used Spyders. However, they dumped the stock barrel quick because the muzzle end had a habit of denting in and thus breaking the ball when it exited out of the barrel.

Does anyone know anything about the Angels and WGP Autocockers with the E-blade upgrade? I looked around other paintball forums and I can't stand the kind of talk that went around there.

I'll check Craigslist more often for paintball gear. Already, I see something that I like! However, some of the paintall markers on there are overpriced compared to eBay even with shipping! Two+ sets of eyes are better than one, but if any of you see a package deal where it comes with everything to start playing (except for paint and air), please let me know.
Old 01-27-2006, 4:02 PM

I have a Spyder Fenix that is really a sweet marker. I don't have too much money to throw at this hobby and the Fenix gets me by just fine. I've been trying to get back into paintballing but it's hard to get a full day on Saturday to be able to do it, especially now that it's snow season.

Plus I don't really have anyone to go with, ever since I splat 50 Freak right between the eyes and scared him away from the sport....
Old 02-16-2006, 8:30 AM

Go for a REAL marker.

Planet Eclipse EGO

I just sold mine though because of $ reasons. Best marker that I've ever owned. I like it better than the newest Angels. Try both out. Get what suits you best.
Old 02-21-2006, 7:41 PM
Veteran Member
CGN Contributor

I am one of the west coast reps for AGD....no, they are NOT out of business I invite you to come to www.automags.org !

I used to do the Pan-Am's, but now am just into heavy Rec play at Paso Robles' MindFields and down in Oxnard at Urban Quest . The cheating in tourney play is just so rampant and blatant now, that paying that much for fees, air, paint, gas and motels isn't worth getting "beat" by the Pro-cheaters.

Here's the kid, runnin' and gunnin' at Mindfields with my rare AGD Golden Gun #0007
"A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself...A murderer is less to fear. The traitor is the plague."......Cicero
Old 03-02-2006, 6:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yar
Randy

Hey remember me it's Ray from skirmish/fatal swoop. I'm into competition shooting nowadays. I shoot ipsc and steel at raahauges right net to SC village.
HOLY CRAP, I'm Mark Knop from Avalanche, I retired last year after playing a season in the NXL. The whole not making any money got old....

Good stuff guys....

I just started getting into guns he past few months.....
Old 03-13-2006, 9:28 PM

Default Good Place to play in Nor Cal

I just got back into playing again about 2 years ago. I have been going to Paintball jungle in American Canyon. They have tournament play, woods play and a few speedball courses. Theres about 50 achres of woods out there to play in and 4 or 6 forts for flag games. So far its the best place Ive found out here to play. They also wont let you use full auto so you sont have to dump a bunch of money into a marker to be competative. Ive been using a Tippmann 98 and an A5 both with flatline barrels out there and do pretty well. Durring spring and summer there are usually 100 or more guys out there playing. You can check out their website at www.paintballjungle.com.
Old 03-13-2006, 10:29 PM

holy crap, some of you guys belong to the teams I admired when I was playing.

Its been about 4 years since I picked up a marker, I sold my gear to fund my motorcycle gear. Had an Angel LCD, played tombstone and SC village before they got all fancy and a bunch of 12 year olds with their parents money flooded the fields. Still have a plane jane autococker laying around somewhere.

stoped playing because I hated the people that started to populate the walk on groups. I can only take getting shot in the back 5 seconds into the game so many times, that and the neg discharges in the parking lots.
Old 03-17-2006, 1:18 PM

Whats up guys im also new to this board and have been into paintball for a long time here in the bay area, when it comes to markers everyone has there favorites and ones they swear by. I used to shoot cockers till i got an intimidator, now i swear by the timmy. hey mark is glenn still on the team? I have one of his old timmys.
Old 03-17-2006, 3:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by spddrcr
Whats up guys im also new to this board and have been into paintball for a long time here in the bay area, when it comes to markers everyone has there favorites and ones they swear by. I used to shoot cockers till i got an intimidator, now i swear by the timmy. hey mark is glenn still on the team? I have one of his old timmys.
LMAO, naw Glenn is coaching Dynasty. I actually have to call his dorky behind, I want his machinist to build me a 45 receiver for my FAL.
Old 03-17-2006, 10:51 PM

Definately go to automags.org. Great people there. My handle is cockerkiller68.

Minimag, my first REAL paintball gun.
Old 03-18-2006, 12:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super_tactical
Definately go to automags.org. Great people there. My handle is cockerkiller68.

Minimag, my first REAL paintball gun.
The first tournament I played in 1994 or so and I was handed a minimag, that gun was exceptional, but I haven't paid for a paintball gun or paint in like 10 years, so I'm spoiled.....
Old 04-12-2006, 11:53 AM

I used to be an Autococker guy until i got an Angel. I never looked back. If anyone is looking for a good Angel or cocker let me know I have a few I could part with. I hurt my back and haven't been able to play much in the last year.
Old 04-14-2006, 1:28 PM

I've always been a Tippmann guy. Started with the Prolite and just recently bought an A5 w/Egrip. Full Auto baby.

As soon as this weather settles in the SF Bay we plan to go to Paintball Jungle and shoot up some folks.
Old 04-17-2006, 9:45 AM
Snapcap

I use a CCI Phantom VSC Pump, The last time I played was 2 years ago.
I am currently selling my marker and gear on gunbroker if anyone is interested...
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...?Item=46831080
Old 07-05-2006, 1:06 PM

Default Wow

Quote:
HOLY CRAP, I'm Mark Knop from Avalanche, I retired last year after playing a season in the NXL. The whole not making any money got old....

Good stuff guys....

I just started getting into guns he past few months.....
Good stuff guys....

Mark Knop, Ray Wong, and Randy!!! I wondered what the hell happened to you guys! Mark House is sitting next to me right now. Funny how much of a small world it is.

Craigy. (how many do you know???)

Swoop, GBD, Ironmenand others and now Anaheim Sedition.

hit me up on an email

Last edited by Craigy; 07-05-2006 at 2:43 PM..
Old 07-11-2006, 2:52 PM

paintballer here...where do you guys play?

Old 07-11-2006, 3:41 PM
Veteran Member

We used to go to SC Village in Corona, and Fields of Honor near Lakeview Terrace. I dont even know if these places are even in business anymore.

I havent played paintball in almost 8 years. When I was playing, it was all cammies, combat boots and surplus military gear. I stopped playing just as it "went dirtbike" with all the brightly colored "NO FEAR" jerseys, and pink anodized thousand dollar Autocockers. I had a PMI VM-68, PGP, then I splurged on a Tippman Pro-lite. Seems like ages ago.
Old 07-11-2006, 8:20 PM

Retired pballer here. Used to have a Spyder, 'cocker, Automag RT, and finally an Angel. Angel was best of the bunch for me.