Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 12-05-2009, 1:08 PM

Default Quick question

Ok I quick question (I know this topic has been covered before, but my question is slightly different). When I lived in CA I used to carry when I would go fishing out in the backcountry. I am planning a fishing trip for this summer to a secret location somewhere in the sierra mountain range. I have not lived in CA for over 2 years now. As a non resident can I still carry, and have any of the laws regarding carrying while fishing changed since I moved?

Thank you in advance.
Old 12-05-2009, 2:01 PM
Veteran Member

there are certain restrictions on certain areas etc etc..also depends on who owns the land...BLM, US forrestry, National parks, private, etc...best bet is to search out posts by "mudcamper"...he really put it into perspective...well, as much as you can for Ca's screwed up laws...
Old 12-05-2009, 2:27 PM

I would have to double check on a map. I do believe most of the trip will be on NF land, but I will be really close to NP land as well on some of the days and I am not sure if I cross into NP land on any of the trails.
Old 12-05-2009, 3:31 PM
Gun Runner to The Stars
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrillbilly View Post
Ok I quick question (I know this topic has been covered before, but my question is slightly different). When I lived in CA I used to carry when I would go fishing out in the backcountry. I am planning a fishing trip for this summer to a secret location somewhere in the sierra mountain range.
Cool, I live in a secret location somewhere in the sierra mountain range. The fishing is pretty good just a short hike down the hill.

See this thread by MudCamper for the skinny on carrying in NF's and NP's. 12027 still has this concealed carry exemption:

Quote:
(g) Licensed hunters or fishermen carrying pistols, revolvers, or
other firearms capable of being concealed upon the person while
engaged in hunting or fishing, or transporting those firearms
unloaded when going to or returning from the hunting or fishing
expedition.

Old 12-07-2009, 7:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrizzlyGuy View Post
Cool, I live in a secret location somewhere in the sierra mountain range. The fishing is pretty good just a short hike down the hill.

See this thread by MudCamper for the skinny on carrying in NF's and NP's. 12027 still has this concealed carry exemption:

Cool, thank you for the link!
Old 12-07-2009, 8:21 AM
Calguns Addict

About the only problem that I see caused specifically by being a non-resident is whether the handgun you carry is registered to you in California. And this would only matter if you tripped up and were accused of illegally carrying concealed (where registration may lower the charge from a felony to a misdemeanor).

I don't know if non-residents can have their firearms registered here or not - but if you were completely paranoid, you might consider finding out. My handguns are registered in Cook County, Nevada, as well as here so picture me if you wish as

All opinions expressed here are my own unless I say otherwise.
I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice.

Old 12-07-2009, 5:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock22Fan View Post
About the only problem that I see caused specifically by being a non-resident is whether the handgun you carry is registered to you in California. And this would only matter if you tripped up and were accused of illegally carrying concealed (where registration may lower the charge from a felony to a misdemeanor).

I don't know if non-residents can have their firearms registered here or not - but if you were completely paranoid, you might consider finding out. My handguns are registered in Cook County, Nevada, as well as here so picture me if you wish as

Well I guess I could always take my Kimber Raptor. It is the only weapon I still own that is registered in CA. It wasn't my first choice but I guess it beats nothing.
Old 12-07-2009, 5:38 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock22Fan View Post

I wouldn't register an unregistered handgun soley for the purpose of when I carry it illegally concealed, I will get charged only with a misdemeanor.