Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Gunsmithing & How To
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Gunsmithing & How To Pro, Amateur & WECSOG and Tutorials, Guides & OLL Build Instructions

Old 12-05-2009, 9:58 AM

Default Help on DPMS barrel break in procedure.

Just brought this DMPS Model FTBL-LR-03 from Midway, while I am open the box and inspect the upper, there a DPMS barrel information included with the upper, in it DPMS suggest that to achieve the best results for accuracy, I should clean the chamber and bore after every round for the first 25 rounds and then every 10 rounds up to 100 rounds. Then it said it usually takes about 200 rounds per barrel for barrels optimum accuracy. So anyone here follows this procedure, or some other break in procedure?
Thanks for the reply in advance.
Old 12-05-2009, 10:02 AM
Moderator Emeritus
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

IMO they're full of crap. Just shoot it.

A friend of mine got one of their LR-308 rifles, it didn't print tighter groups after he slavishly spent all that money on ammo and all that time to "break the barrel in" using their procedure.

"My Safety?" *click* "There, that was my safety"
http://www.huntfishadventures.com/images/nra.gifNRA Member
Old 12-05-2009, 4:04 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by M. Sage View Post

A friend of mine got one of their LR-308 rifles, it didn't print tighter groups after he slavishly spent all that money on ammo and all that time to "break the barrel in" using their procedure.
+1 shoot it.........

Distinguished Rifleman Badge #2220
Old 12-05-2009, 4:06 PM

I agree with the above posters. I have 2 uppers in 20" and 24" from DPMS-I did not use this procedure and I still get 1 MOA.

-Greg
Old 12-05-2009, 4:13 PM

Thanks Guy,
Old 12-05-2009, 4:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M. Sage View Post

ditto, unless you are a true ar fanatic then it doesn't matter, sit in your room "cycling your action" hoping your mom doesn't walk in on you.
"There's no way to rule innocent men. The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws" From Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand
Old 12-05-2009, 8:39 PM
Superfluous

If it is a new barrel.

CLEAN THE BARREL BEFORE YOU SHOOT IT. ! ! !

On occasion there can be some shreds of steel in the bore from crowning or breech boring. You don't want to shoot lead across any debris.

other than that.... Shoot it like you stole it.

Cheers,
Twystd1
Old 12-05-2009, 8:49 PM

Old 12-05-2009, 8:52 PM

My buddy who was a professional shooter, does that break in prodecure. It is recommended for a reason. It it like a new engine break in procedure. Yes, the engine will run for a long time without breaking it in properly (unless its a flat tappet cam) but proper break in promotes a better piston ring seal, and compression consistentcy. So breaking in your barrel is a good ideal if you want the absolute BEST for your rifle, but not breaking it in properly (taking your time) will only result in your rifle not being its "most accurate". HTH Sorry for the odd analogy, but i'm a car guy first

I'm going to catch some crap for this, I already know.....
Old 12-05-2009, 8:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley View Post
this guy in the video is an idiot...PERIOD!
Even if you have the money to replace your rifle every day, you just dont treat things like that.. glad he's not my buddy, I'd slap his face.
Old 12-06-2009, 7:36 AM

WOW, that is not my break in procedures, I love my rifles and pistols
My normal break in a new rifle procedure are to first clean the bore, then inspect the bore and lube all moving parts before goes to the range and have fun.
Old 12-06-2009, 7:53 AM

I don't believe in cleaning it after every round but would run a bore snake through it after a few rounds for 10 or 20 rounds. And definitely clean well prior to taking it out.
Old 12-06-2009, 7:57 AM

I personally did not go through the extensive break in procedure, but I did and will continue to bore snake it after each magazine/10 rds. for a few hundred more. I think that's plenty.
Old 12-06-2009, 8:59 AM

The break in procedure is intended to smooth out any roughness in the throat from manufacturing (if it is a quality barrel, the bore should be fine). It might help make it easier to clean in the future and might improve accuracy. Cleaning after every shot removes the copper that might be left behind (and will prevent the next bullet from continuing to burnish the barrel).

The DPMS (or any other) break in procedure is not absolute. Here is what Krieger recommends: http://www.kriegerbarrels.com/Break_...246-wp2558.htm

If you don't want to do that, you could get this kit: http://www.superiorshootingsystems.c...ADING-TMS.html. It is made by David Tubb and he knows his stuff. If you don't reload, he sells the TMS as loaded ammo: http://www.superiorshootingsystems.c...-DTAC_TMS.html

NRA Life Member
CRPA Life Member

Last edited by popeye4; 12-06-2009 at 9:01 AM..
Old 12-06-2009, 8:51 PM

Thanks popeye4.
I will try the Krieger suggestion and see what it would do to my DPMS stainless barrel.
Old 12-07-2009, 5:39 AM

Like Popeye said, the procedure is mainly to help prevent copper fouling in the future. When you get copper fouling, the copper in the barrel tends to strip copper off the bullet causing irregularities in velocity and bore concentricity. It's pretty hard to nail down whether the break-in procedure actually does anything with one particular barrel without testing many of the same barrel. High-end barrels probably don't benefit as much as cheaper barrels (like DPMS). My procedure starts out with a little polishing of the bore to speed up this process. I take a bore brush, wrap it in a pad, and coat it with Butch's Bore Shine. Sometimes you have to go one size smaller on the brush depending on how stiff it is. Run it up and down the bore several times. Butch's isn't very abrasive so you won't hurt the muzzle or chamber.
Old 12-07-2009, 2:03 PM

I have several DPMS LAR308 rifles and use regular (cheaper) ball ammo for the break in. I figure why not do as they suggest. A few rds of ammo and a couple hours time, wont break me. Most of their barrels are not chrome lined (chrome molly or stainless) and the break-in will help. As far as DPMS barrels being lesser quality, all mine shoot sub moa, as well as my more expensive barrels.The guys at DPMS claim to make their own barrels, so you know whos barrel you as getting.
If its a chrome lined barrel, shoot it like it belongs to your x wife and feel free to blast away from round 1. The break-in procedure won't do much for a lined barrel. Just remember to give any new rifle a through cleaning and get rid of any crap left over from the mfg process.
Old 12-07-2009, 3:05 PM
Calguns Addict

DPMS shoot the crap out of there barrels rior to sending them out... Not sure about regular procedure but they are dirty when you get them... (2 times I have seen so far)

Shoot it and enjoy it...

DefenseIndustries.US
Auburn, CA
Old 12-07-2009, 3:20 PM

They fire all of them for function, prior to shipping. You still should clean and properly break them in. The few test rds fired won't do much as to break in.