Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 12-01-2009, 6:04 PM

Default L85A2 (SA80)

I've always thought this an interesting type rifle, anyone make a semi-auto clone of this type rifle?

http://www.army.mod.uk/equipment/sup...pons/1458.aspx
Old 12-01-2009, 6:09 PM

the closest I have seen is people taking airsoft rifles, beefing it up structurally with resin etc... and dropping a 10/22 in.
Old 12-01-2009, 6:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by run8 View Post
I've always thought this an interesting type rifle, anyone make a semi-auto clone of this type rifle?

http://www.army.mod.uk/equipment/sup...pons/1458.aspx
the worst rifle ever made by NATO countries... i think they have H&K get it improved couple years ago...
Old 12-01-2009, 6:25 PM

Hehe, that's why it would be neat to have, I kinda like the underdog sometimes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jawcn View Post
the worst rifle ever made by NATO countries... i think they have H&K get it improved couple years ago...
Old 12-01-2009, 6:33 PM

I believe the BAE owned Royal ordnance which at the time owned Heckler Koch, After the first gulf war The weapons were modified and improved by HK, also the magazines and lube were replaced. I have fired the improved version , I liked it and it functioned perfectly, I think there is a .22 version that will be at the shot show and for sale next year.
Old 12-01-2009, 6:39 PM

It's not out yet, but Mike over at the weaponsguild will have kits sometime early next year.

Still alive, still fight.
Old 12-01-2009, 8:17 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by uzigalil View Post
I believe the BAE owned Royal ordnance which at the time owned Heckler Koch, After the first gulf war The weapons were modified and improved by HK, also the magazines and lube were replaced. I have fired the improved version , I liked it and it functioned perfectly, I think there is a .22 version that will be at the shot show and for sale next year.
The L85 is a right hand only weapon; leftys must learn to shoot from the right shoulder. The MoD decided that few enough Brits are shooters as it is so training non shooting left handers to shoot from the right isn't much harder than training a non shooter of either hand to shoot to begin with. As a certified lefty I tend to disagree but then I'm not in the British army either

"Everybody dies.. the thing is, to die well' Jack Harper

I'm a seven percenter
Old 12-02-2009, 11:26 AM

Golden State Arms imported about 75 factory-made British Aerospace SA80 semi-autos back in 1985. These were close to $5k NIB back then. They go for about $20k today when they surface. I owned one until the mid-90s and regret selling it every day. Sucks because many A2 parts are available on eBay UK.

The Gun Room in Las Vegas made some SA80 receivers and assembled a few guns out of parts kits, but there are very few of these as well.

LEI UK is making the .22LR version that will be imported soon.

Last edited by TangoCharlie; 12-02-2009 at 11:51 AM..
Old 12-02-2009, 12:54 PM

Well the .22LR will be close enough, are there any web sites that show photos of this in preproduction design state?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TangoCharlie View Post
Golden State Arms imported about 75 factory-made British Aerospace SA80 semi-autos back in 1985. These were close to $5k NIB back then. They go for about $20k today when they surface. I owned one until the mid-90s and regret selling it every day. Sucks because many A2 parts are available on eBay UK.

The Gun Room in Las Vegas made some SA80 receivers and assembled a few guns out of parts kits, but there are very few of these as well.

LEI UK is making the .22LR version that will be imported soon.
Old 12-02-2009, 12:59 PM

There was a pic of the 22lr version in SAR a few months back, looked just like the iron sighted SA80 to my eyes with 22 magazine. Hopefully it will use Stanag 22 mags? The SA80 really is a terrible weapon, but it looks really cool - I want one!
Old 12-02-2009, 1:25 PM

Weaponsguild

Is building a kit that will look like said weapon. Note that it does not copy the exact rifle kit just a clone that very much looks like said rifle
Old 12-02-2009, 1:57 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jawcn View Post
According to some people who have used it, the originals sucked. The A2 model has none of the original's problems, and supposedly functions perfectly, even in the various sandboxes around the world.

-Mb (who has never fired one, and doesn't really have a dog in this fight either way)
Old 12-02-2009, 3:21 PM

From what I've read the originals, the L85A1's were horrible and jammed every which way - along with some other problems.

The L85A2's are the HK upgrades and it's supposedly a decent and reliable rifle. The only qualm being the inherent right handedness and that because of the upgrades it's slightly heavy for an assault rifle.

Still a very interesting gun all around and if a reciever were made domestically - the standard design would be California legal (with bullet button equivalent and less bayonet lug...and auto). Also the only problem with a carbine version in addition is the overall length by less than an inch.
Old 12-02-2009, 4:31 PM
Veteran Member

Since the SA-80s have been reworked by HK (A2), the British Army have phased out the Radway Green Stanag magazines they were using, and replaced them with HK Stanag 4179 magazines. This seems to have helped the SA-80 to perform considerably more reliably. I picked up a couple of the British HK mags while I was in the UK. They are very nice mags.

Here is a friend of mine, with a L85A2 (mounted with a L17 40 mm grenade launcher), and a L86A2 LSW:

Life can make you do many things, even kiss a man with a runny nose.

- Mihail Timofeevič Kalašnikov -

Last edited by bigthaiboy; 12-03-2009 at 1:34 AM..
Old 12-02-2009, 5:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigthaiboy View Post
Since the SA-80s have been reworked by HK (A2), the British Army have phased out the Radway Green Stanag magazines they were using, and replaced them with HK Stanag 4179 magazines. This seems to have helped the SA-80 to perform considerably more reliably. I picked up a couple of the British HK mags while I was in the UK. They are very nice mags.

Here is a friend of mine who is currently deployed, with a L85A2 (mounted with a L17 40 mm grenade launcher), and a L86A2 LSW:

no buis
Old 12-02-2009, 7:15 PM
short bus driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caeser2001 View Post
no buis
Supppose to attach them, after removing the scope.

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.” - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).
Old 12-02-2009, 7:54 PM

You should read Tools of Violence by Chris McNab. The first chapter is called Small Arms and goes over everything from types of small arms to small arm ballistics. There is also a section in the first chapter about How to and How Not to build a Military Rifle. The example he gives for "How To" is none other than the AK47. The example he gives for "How Not To" is the SA80 (L85) and he goes into great detail into the many failings of the rifle and the many pains the British Army and Marine Corps has gone through to correct it.

Its also interesting to note that the SAS do not use the SA80, but instead use the M4 as their primary rifle.

To be honest I feel your pain. I'd buy a FAMAS clone in a heartbeat and I think it stems from the fact that since I can't have it...I want it

Last edited by bondmid003; 12-02-2009 at 8:05 PM..