Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Technology and Internet
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Technology and Internet Emerging and current tech related issues. Internet, DRM, IP, and other technology related discussions.

Old 12-01-2009, 12:21 AM

Default Need to install surveillance cameras

I got unwelcome visitors while I was gone today. They tried doing picking/prying my metal mesh door. Now I need surveillance cameras.

Important to me? 2 cameras minimum and DVR/recording while I'm gone. When I'm at home, I hope they don't know I'm at home with my 870.

What's out there for me? I'm trying not to be a victim.
Old 12-01-2009, 12:26 AM
Veteran Member

check out "frys" they have a shake n bake system,

of a local "spy" type of store.

Old 12-01-2009, 12:26 AM
Veteran Member

I think I could use the same thing.
Old 12-01-2009, 12:55 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

it is very important to know what you want your system for, observation, surveillance or identification. if you want remote assess, then a good encryption is important, a frys system is real good if you want to know what time someone broke into your house, however if you want to be able to use the video as evidence in court, I would recommended a much more robust system. the cameras i have been selling a lot lately use night vision technology and will see color in the dark at very low light levels, an exit sign is really all it needs in a blacked out room. and you can identify someone with them. but those are a bit spendy, the cameras are close to the price of a freys system
Old 12-01-2009, 1:05 AM
Calguns Addict

http://www.x10.com/homepage.htm
I bought the wireless ones and was not happy with the transmission. Sometimes they were clear, other's not so clear.
I bought the hard wire ones black and white with infrared, they work great.
They have different programs for your computer and saving the video.
Old 12-01-2009, 1:04 AM

I would say I need it for surveillance or identification purpose. Night vision is not important to me.
Old 12-01-2009, 1:17 AM
I need a LIFE!!

The 500 dollar ones did not work well 1 Year. Ago maybe something changed. IMHO you are gonna need to spend. Some $
Old 12-01-2009, 5:20 AM

Check these folks out they have every thing and the service is great.
http://www.supercircuits.com/
This is the best low light camera out there. Needs a little knowledge to get the best video out of it and don't point it at the sun, but with a little experimentation you can do it.
http://www.supercircuits.com/Securit...ras/PC164CEX-2
You need a lens such as this. It will need to be matched to the size area you want to cover. The lens is the limiting factor in cost and quality. Spend money here.
http://www.supercircuits.com/Camera-...ses/CML5-50MMZ
These folks have some low cost systems and parts to built a system. This might work just fine.
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...895&CatId=1928

Some tips.
Try to get 30fps record on each camera.
Motion detection is very desirable.
Light is king get good lighting it saves money on cameras and you can see at night.
Review Review Review if you don't you lose the edge. You will see some crazy stuff.
Good Luck
B

Last edited by BSlacker; 12-01-2009 at 5:23 AM..
Old 12-01-2009, 11:24 AM

Most people mistakingly get a lower-res camera set on wide angle view. Good for observing motion, incredibly lousy for actually getting a clear image of a person's face.

Why not use a residential alarm company? Cams are good for identifying people after the fact. Alarms are better at deterrance.
Old 12-01-2009, 8:59 PM

I am a security contractor and have industrial equipment. Honeywell cameras high quality DVRs I will trade services for guns if anyone is interested.
Old 12-01-2009, 9:28 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I do security and fire alarms also. I got a wireless camera kit from costco. It works pretty good. its a completely self contained system. Comes with two cameras a monitor/recorder with 2 gig memory stick. also has sound and night vision. Cost 350$. the only thing is the cameras are fairly large. I bought another costco kit for 300$ with 4 cameras a DVR with 350 gig harddrive but no monitor has AV outs so youcan use a old little tv for the monitor.
If you need a cheap system the 350$ costco kit is cheap and easy to install. Im returning mine cause of the size of the cameras other than that I woudl of kept it. All it requires is a 110 v outlet for the power.
the other 300$ system uses cat 5 wire so I got plentyof that and Im a electrician and I can instal it easy.
if youre in OC look up the costco kit or Ill sell you mine for what I bought it for
Old 12-01-2009, 9:45 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

OMG, everybody does survalance systems... anyone else like the speco intensifier series cameras for a mid range setup?
Old 12-01-2009, 11:42 PM

I think I'll try this one out.

Thanks everyone.
Old 12-01-2009, 11:51 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

the good thing about costco is that you can return them on the off chance that they don't work all that well
Old 12-02-2009, 12:11 AM
Banned

If you like to tinker, you can try and build your own setup using Zoneminder. The features you'll get with a system like that will blow the Costo system away.
Old 12-02-2009, 4:33 AM

Quote:
I think I'll try this one out.

Thanks everyone.
That is a bunch of cash for a system that will only record one camera at a time. If a cat walks in one camera first and then a dude steals your car in front of the other camera you will be left with the cat video. Also it is 2.4 gHz every phone in the neighborhood will interfere and video goes whack quick with interference. Only 16g storage? Will it do a day storage? The cameras have limited night vision and fixed viewing area that might not match your area of interest.
It doesn't express video quality in frames per second. You want 30fps on each camera.
I don't understand "wireless". If you have to run a wire to power the camera. Why not just use a dual wire that has video and DC together. It has to go back to an outlet anyway to get power. I use a 2.4gHz set up for temp surveillance out of a vehicle from across the street using power from the vehicle.
Old 12-02-2009, 7:13 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSlacker View Post
That is a bunch of cash for a system that will only record one camera at a time. If a cat walks in one camera first and then a dude steals your car in front of the other camera you will be left with the cat video. Also it is 2.4 gHz every phone in the neighborhood will interfere and video goes whack quick with interference. Only 16g storage? Will it do a day storage? The cameras have limited night vision and fixed viewing area that might not match your area of interest.
It doesn't express video quality in frames per second. You want 30fps on each camera.
I don't understand "wireless". If you have to run a wire to power the camera. Why not just use a dual wire that has video and DC together. It has to go back to an outlet anyway to get power. I use a 2.4gHz set up for temp surveillance out of a vehicle from across the street using power from the vehicle.

Its not designed to be a high security top secret army base surveillance system. its designed for the home owner to have a little peace of mind
I put mine out to test them and left them for the night. Has decent viewing and the picture is pretty clear. it will tell me who is out there AND show me a clear picture of them and their faces. ASnd you can expand it to four cameras
besides you can set it up for motion recording which is what I would do or get a 16 gig chip. You can also use only one camera and keep the other as a spare. your scenario if a cat and a thief is really stretching it IMO. either way its a cheap alternative to a thousand dollar camera system or a professionally installed camera system which basically start at about 5000. Our homeowners association was trying to get a cmera installed at the front gate cause people kept breaking it. The cheapest qoute we got for one camera and a DVR was 5000$. the thing about the wireless is you only need to run 110v near the camera to plug it in or extend the power wire. With a standard hard wired camera system you need to run power and video to EVERY camera from the DVR. Depending on the location of the DVR thats a ton more wire and its not average home owner friendly IMO to install
Old 12-02-2009, 7:39 AM
Ban Hammer Avoidance Team
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Location: Did you notice how far over I've moved this part of my info? You should try it, it's fun.

I bought a Lorax system from Fry's or Walmart etc.

Hooked it up temporarily just to check it out. Worked pretty good. I wished the cameras had a wider angle.

They were good for seeing that someone tried to break in or perhaps identifying the color and type of clothing or car, but that was about it. Not clear enough to really ID anyone.

One thing I read while researching was that the IR lights on the cameras tend to burn out rendering night vision useless.

They sell IR Flood lights which work well. You can also get standard motion flood lights and then you really don't have to worry about the night vision aspect.

"Those who cannot remember the posts are condemned to repeat them"

I wish I had a dollar for every time someone used a cliché
Old 12-02-2009, 7:49 AM

Quote:
Its not designed to be a high security top secret army base surveillance system. its designed for the home owner to have a little peace of mind
I put mine out to test them and left them for the night. Has decent viewing and the picture is pretty clear. it will tell me who is out there AND show me a clear picture of them and their faces. ASnd you can expand it to four cameras
besides you can set it up for motion recording which is what I would do or get a 16 gig chip. You can also use only one camera and keep the other as a spare. your scenario if a cat and a thief is really stretching it IMO.
Its good that you had a short positive experience with your system. There is a reason that Army
Top Secret Security Bases use a better system. It is because these are not reliable enough to give "peace of mind" for them or regular folks. So you don't like the cat action. Just think bush in the wind, now is that better. Maybe you can predict which camera will be used when but then you would just predict when a crime would occur and be there wouldn't you. This system is eye candy for "peace of mind". Unless you can predict which camera is needed when and turn off the others for sure then you stand a good chance of not getting the action you want just getting what came first. How long in time on average is 16 gig in recording time?
Comparing the cost of a HOA video system to monitor a gate where the video has to go off site is nowhere near the home owner cost for a couple of good cameras and wiring and a DVR card you may already have a computer for. I did my own wiring but could have hired it done for a reasonable cost. I have about 3.5K in mine, that is close to the 5K number, that includes two good dedicated computer one is backup, 6 good cameras and lenses and a high end Geovision DVR security system all the wiring and connectors, mounts and power supplies. I have had it several years and maintainace is not cheap.
Many times the wife and I have said it was worth every penny. Your mileage may vary but I take my security serious. Many homes and there surroundings are secure without video. Video is just an addition to many other home features that give one the big picture anyway.

Last edited by BSlacker; 12-02-2009 at 7:53 AM..
Old 12-02-2009, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSR500 View Post
If you like to tinker, you can try and build your own setup using Zoneminder. The features you'll get with a system like that will blow the Costo system away.
Thanks, I forget how powerful Linux can be.
Old 12-04-2009, 8:55 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSlacker View Post
Its good that you had a short positive experience with your system. There is a reason that Army
Top Secret Security Bases use a better system. It is because these are not reliable enough to give "peace of mind" for them or regular folks. So you don't like the cat action. Just think bush in the wind, now is that better. Maybe you can predict which camera will be used when but then you would just predict when a crime would occur and be there wouldn't you. This system is eye candy for "peace of mind". Unless you can predict which camera is needed when and turn off the others for sure then you stand a good chance of not getting the action you want just getting what came first. How long in time on average is 16 gig in recording time?
Comparing the cost of a HOA video system to monitor a gate where the video has to go off site is nowhere near the home owner cost for a couple of good cameras and wiring and a DVR card you may already have a computer for. I did my own wiring but could have hired it done for a reasonable cost. I have about 3.5K in mine, that is close to the 5K number, that includes two good dedicated computer one is backup, 6 good cameras and lenses and a high end Geovision DVR security system all the wiring and connectors, mounts and power supplies. I have had it several years and maintainace is not cheap.
Many times the wife and I have said it was worth every penny. Your mileage may vary but I take my security serious. Many homes and there surroundings are secure without video. Video is just an addition to many other home features that give one the big picture anyway.
Im happy that you can spend 5k or whatever you spent on your system Not everyone has the money to spend on surveillance AND maintenance of the system. Most peopel want a simple easy to use system. You know how many systems ( sec and cam) I install and people have not a CLUE how to use them? Most peopel simply buy what a salesman tells them they need.. I can get a high end system because i can wire it up myself like you did and thus save myself tons of money on the install. a HUGE part of the cost IS the install labor. Unless you got the money or the know how most people go for a easy layman install system. For 350 $ it works fine for the AVERAGE homeowner. i could see the driveway and the street and it was a pretty clear picture and you could identify a person.
I got a better system simply because I didn't like the big cameras. OTHER than that it would catch anyone coming in my house. I'm not worried about seeing down the street with it cause i don't care what happens down the street. i care about who is near or attempting to get in my house/car etc.
I need 4 cameras to cover 100% of the perimeter of my house. Im in a town home so all i really have is two sides of the house the other two sides are other town homes. All Im saying is for someone who wants a camera to catch a disturbance this is a easy to install system.
He can get a high price or a better system I was just telling him about a simpler easier to use system. hell you can probably go buy a time lapse VCR and a few older commercial cameras and a multiplexer and wire it all up and go from there. I did a system for a buddy for a total cost of 500$. to this day he still uses it. i finally got him to at least move to a DVR.
yeah i agree with you there are very good systems out there. you were saying that there is a reason the military uses high quality systems. Its because they have millions of dollars of equipment etc. and besides the tax payers are paying for it. For some reason I dont think the OP has that kind of money