Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Old 11-28-2009, 9:13 PM

Default SHOTSHELL RECIPES FOR 12 AND 20 GAUGE USING RED DOT POWDER?

JUST BOUGHT TWO LEE LOAD ALLS ONE IN 12 GAUGE AND ONE IN 20 GAUGE I HAVE WIN. PRIMERS AND 7/8 OUNCE WADS FOR 20 GAUGE AND 1 1/8 WADS FOR 12 GAUGE I ALSO BOUGHT RED DOT POWDER AND I CANT FIND ANY RECIPES FOR 20 GAUGE WITH RED DOT POWDER ANYONE HAVE ONE????
Old 11-29-2009, 8:13 AM

It's tough to find a powder that works in multiple gauges/calibers.

You might try the Alliant website first if you haven't already, and see if they list anything.

I would not trust just any information from the web, you never know if there are folks out there that want to mess you up, look at virus'.

You will be better served be sticking to the listed loads from the manufacture or other published sources, then verify that load with another source.
Old 11-29-2009, 8:32 AM

+1 on Revoman

Send an email to Alliant for recommendations. They usually get back to you in 3-5 business days.
Old 11-29-2009, 10:21 AM
Veteran Member

If you are new to shotshell reloading, then gather-up a few extra dollars and purchase THE LYMAN SHOTSHELL RELOADING HANDBOOK.

I don't want to sound like a dork, but just the fact that you are asking this question, tells me you need to read-up a little more on the topic.

Shotshell reloading, unlike brass reloading, starts differently.

FIRST you need to figure-out what shells you are going to use.

Then, once you have that information, you proceed to the next steps, the reloading components.

Another factor to consider, is the use of various primers in different shotshell hulls.

Why?

Because you may get away with using different primers in brass reloading shells, but in shotshell reloading it can have devastating effects. Let me give you an example:

You have components for making two different shotshells. Both identicle (load weight, hull, powder, wad)...except for the primer. You will use two different types of primers for this example. Now you reload both of them and see the results.

Wow...identical, right?

Nope!

While they LOOK identicle in the results, one may be well within the safe pressure levels...but the other may be waaaaay over the safe pressure levels.

Yes...the primer made the difference.

This is why you need to start with the hulls, and go from there.

Just my opinion, brother.

Be safe, and shoot with a purpose.

In Christ: Raymond

PS: Yes...I am a shotshell reloader. (Older picture attached below).

Last edited by RaymondMillbrae; 11-29-2009 at 10:40 AM..
Old 11-29-2009, 10:23 AM

Here's the link for Alliant:
http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloade...e=20&gtypeid=3
Old 11-29-2009, 11:26 AM

Whoooaaaa, slow that reloading press down!!! Red Dot powder is way too fast burning for 20ga. shells. Like a previous poster said start with the hulls and build your loads from the recepie given from the powder manufacturer. You should really buy SEVEARAL books and read Hodgdons, and Alliant's websites to get an understanding to what you want to load. Do you want target loads for trap, skeet, 5 stand, or hunting? Dove, quail, pheasant, rabbit etc? There are an abundance of load recepies for each application, one load doesn't do it all.
Take a look on www.shotgunworld.com and look at the reloading section. Tons of information that will save you from losing your head-Literally!!

sideline shooter

Last edited by Sideline Shooter; 11-29-2009 at 11:27 AM.. Reason: spelling