Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Shotgun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Shotgun discussions Trap, Hunting, Defense and more. A place for enthusiasts to discuss the shotgun.

Old 11-06-2005, 8:42 PM

Default What's the max. capacity for semi shotgun?

I was out at the range today and heard that for a semi-auto shotgun the maximum capacity is 3 rounds (both state and federal), this doesn't sound right, is it?
Old 11-06-2005, 9:01 PM
Veteran Member

Hmmm, I think that is for hunting. Cause I know I have seen shotties (on this very forum) both for sale and in personal collections that were around 8 rounds IIRC
Old 11-06-2005, 9:03 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugwump
I was out at the range today and heard that for a semi-auto shotgun the maximum capacity is 3 rounds (both state and federal), this doesn't sound right, is it?
No. The three round capacity is for hunting only, and I believe only applies to game animals.
Old 11-07-2005, 12:49 AM
Calguns Addict

A wooden dowel slipped into the mag tube (put a groove and e-clip on the far end of it if you want to be fancy), works great with virtually ANY shotgun, and costs about $2-3 to make at home depot.

My benelli came with a neat little thing that is a metal rod with a fixed disc on one end- it snaps intot he end of the mag tube to limit capacity. I've never had a need to use it.

-Dave
Old 11-09-2005, 5:40 AM

U.S. code 18 921 (a) (30)

(30) The term "semiautomatic assault weapon" means -

(D) a semiautomatic shotgun that has at least 2 of -

(i) a folding or telescoping stock;

(ii) a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the

action of the weapon;

(iii) a fixed magazine capacity in excess of 5 rounds; and

(iv) an ability to accept a detachable magazine.

I do not know if this code is still in effect, but this was shipped with my mag extension for my 870 pump wich would also fit on a 1100.

Dan
Old 11-09-2005, 6:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelgunner
U.S. code 18 921 (a) (30)

(30) The term "semiautomatic assault weapon" means -

(D) a semiautomatic shotgun that has at least 2 of -

(i) a folding or telescoping stock;

(ii) a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the

action of the weapon;

(iii) a fixed magazine capacity in excess of 5 rounds; and

(iv) an ability to accept a detachable magazine.

I do not know if this code is still in effect, but this was shipped with my mag extension for my 870 pump wich would also fit on a 1100.

Dan
That went bye bye with the Fed assault weapon ban. I have a Benelli semi with pistol grip and 7rd tube and it's perfectly legal, even here.
Old 11-09-2005, 6:14 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratters
That went bye bye with the Fed assault weapon ban. I have a Benelli semi with pistol grip and 7rd tube and it's perfectly legal, even here.

shhhh, dont let the anti gun wackos hear you, they might realise they missed some thing.

/sarcasm
Old 11-09-2005, 6:15 AM
Calguns Addict

The 3-round restriction covers migratory game birds (waterfowl and some others) & is a federal restriction. You don't even want to THINK that a fish & game officer will trust you to only have one in the chamber and 2 in the mag...use the plug at all times!! To digress a little, the round limit is analagous to the no-lead rule for waterfowl...posessing even one lead round while hunting waterfowl can get you into a lot of legal hurt. Do not hunt without the plug if you've got the remotest possibility of dropping a migratory bird.

For clay sports, two bullets is all you need...that's why o/u's are very nice.

1100's can be fitted with an extension, though newer models have dimples on the magazine tube that from the factory prevent using an extension. Fix is easy & simply involves removing the dimples...e.g., run a drill through the side of the magazine.

-hanko
Old 11-09-2005, 6:22 AM

Smile

This one comes stock with an 8 round mag +1 in the pipe for 9 total. It's called the Remington Competition Master.

Old 11-09-2005, 9:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratters
Where exactly is 'here'! Certainly not in Cali.
Old 11-09-2005, 1:19 PM
Calguns Addict

Yes, most certainly here in CA. Just no pistol grip AND folding stock on a SEMI shotgun.

-Dave
Old 11-17-2005, 2:42 AM
shopkeep

Personally for tactical shotguns I like the Remington Tactical Magnum 3" 870. True, it's green, but it rocks. It comes right out of the box with 9 round capacity, tactical swivels, recoil pad, tactical stock with pistol grip, and much more all for under $400. All in all a lot of fun.
Old 11-19-2005, 5:10 PM

Is there a capacity regulation difference between import and domestic semi-automatic shotguns. If so could you post link to the law?

I'd like to make a Remington Spartan into a Home defense affordable semi-auto shotgun.

I am low budget, there is no way I can afford a Benelli, Remington , or Winchester semi-auto home defense shotgun
Old 11-21-2005, 3:50 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Is there a capacity regulation difference between import and domestic semi-automatic shotguns. If so could you post link to the law?

I'd like to make a Remington Spartan into a Home defense affordable semi-auto shotgun.

I am low budget, there is no way I can afford a Benelli, Remington , or Winchester semi-auto home defense shotgun
Even if the fed AW ban has expired, the clinton import ban is still in effect, meaning you cant import semi shotguns with a 6+ capacity. Not sure what happens if you put an extender on an imported shotgun, but I suspect it should be the same as modifying a semi rifle to accept high-caps (parts count etc etc)
Old 11-28-2005, 9:32 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:

Use a pump action. It is in your price range and won't malfunction.
Old 11-28-2005, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohsmily
Use a pump action. It is in your price range and won't malfunction.
"I" had a malfunction during a PPC Long Gun match, I short stroked the pump and had 2 cartridges above the ramp , took awhile to clear it, getting my pinky in ejection port and pushing one shell back in the mag tube, man that hurt. My fault totally. Looking for an alternative...

I already purchased the Baikal MP153 and I am waiting to do modifications (hopefully with out butchering)

Thanks

Dan
Old 11-28-2005, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treelogger
As far as I know (from following discussions on other forums), it is perfectly legal to continue to use existing foreign-made extenders, or to add US-made extenders to foreign shotguns; only the importation was banned. For most shotguns, this is not an issue, as US-made extenders are easy to find; for Benelli shotguns, those are rare, but can be found.

For the details, consult the shotgunworld.com forum, or the forum on the Benelli site.
So far grey area , I am lookin for link to law stating either way . I am thinking of welding and modifying a magazine cap into an extended mag and purchasing an aftermarket spring. It would be U.S.A. made, steel from Japan and small part from Russia .
Old 11-29-2005, 1:58 AM

FN Semi, comercially available is a 6+1.

http://www.fnhusa.com/contents/sg_selfloading.htm

Any links to laws?
Old 11-30-2005, 12:38 AM

Ditto for the Winchester Super X2 Practical you can find in most any Turners.

Direct from the 'fine print' section in the back of the Winchester 2005 catalog, "Super X2 and Select shotguns are manufactured in Belgium and assembled in Portugal."

I've mentioned this in about 4 other boards and so far not one of the 'experts' has responded once these facts were presented. Everyone thinks Benelli has been hammered on due to 922r since they're an imported gun, yet Super X2's and FN Police semi's are available everywhere with greater than 5 round tubes. Something else is at work here.
Old 11-30-2005, 4:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenst65
I've mentioned this in about 4 other boards and so far not one of the 'experts' has responded once these facts were presented. Everyone thinks Benelli has been hammered on due to 922r since they're an imported gun, yet Super X2's and FN Police semi's are available everywhere with greater than 5 round tubes. Something else is at work here.
I got the same replies. I read 922r, it just states that you can't add or change the firearm into something that is already banned. Only thing I could think of with the Bennili is that it had a protruding pistol grip, and during the expired AW ban, a semi shotgun with protruding pistol grip and holds more than 5 rounds was considered an AW. CA law is similar to old Fed AW ban. However my Baikal / Rem Spartan does not have a protruding pistol grip or telescoping stock.
Old 12-01-2005, 12:11 PM
Veteran Member

"Benelli has stopped selling the extenders (fortunately, you can find US-made substitutes),"

Its just a tube... not really hard to make your own (and Ive seen them around). A longer spring shouldnt be too hard to find either.
Old 12-07-2005, 4:43 PM

Wow. A lot of bad info out there.

First of all, the 5 round limit for imported shotguns is a "guideline". It is not a law or regulation. Sometimes a >5 round capacity shotgun can be imported, sometimes they cannot. Depends on many other things. There are a LOT of mitigating factors for approving firearms imports, mag capacity is just one of them.

The determinant for 922r applicability is whether another version of that firearm has been denied importation (is the firearm in question an importable version of an unimportable firearm?). With Benellis, you need not worry as Benellis have never been denied importation. Even the M1014 with collapsible stock. There is no 922r or mag capacity issue with a benelli. Not the case with other imported guns.

Unfortunately there is no law to point you to because the import laws are intentionally vague to give a wider power over what can and cannot come in. If there exists an unimportable version of the gun in question, then 922r applies to prevent you from creating that banned version AFTER importation.
Old 12-09-2005, 6:22 PM

In California, the shotgun round capacity is 3 rounds total for all Migratory waterfowl (ducks, geese, etc...) AND ALL UPLAND GAME BIRDS (Turkey, dove, quail, chukar etc...)

If you're going to hunt "non-game" animals as described by the CA F&G code, there is NO restriction on how many rounds your shotgun holds. "Non-game" animals are like your coyotes, possums etc....

I don't have the regs right in front of me, but you can log onto the state's Fish & Game web site and look up the hunting regulations for "mammals and furbearers" and "non-game" animals. Within those two chapters is listed a section called, "Method of take." There you will find the verbatum words used on what's legal (caliber, shotgun size etc...)

When I go predator hunting, I ususally use my Remington and I just leave the plug in. I'm only going to get one or two shots off anyway. Why carry all the extra weight of more shotgun shells in between hunting blinds.

It's funny, but in CA, it is perfectly legal to hunt coyotes with a M1-A and a 20 round magazine!!! Even my registered AK with a 30 round magazine!!!!

Hell, in CA it's even LEGAL for me to hunt deer with my AK and a 30 round magazine!!!!!! But for birds we're limited to 3 rounds........

WHAT A STATE WE LIVE IN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Why anyone would hunt mammals with more than 4 or 5 rounds is beyond my immagination.