Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General gun discussions This is a place to lounge and discuss firearm related topics with other forum members.

Old 11-18-2009, 1:37 PM
Banned

Default california open carry

you guys read this blog?

pretty cool

http://caopencarry.blogspot.com/
Old 11-18-2009, 1:39 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Yup...a bunch of our members here are members there.
Whats this got to do with rifles? General gun is the spot this should be.

California Uber Alles, California Uber Alles
Uber Alles California, Uber Alles California

I am Governor Jerry Brown, My aura smiles and never frowns, Soon I will be President...
Old 11-18-2009, 1:40 PM
Calguns Addict

Yep, actually Nate, the guy that writes the blog, is a member here. Pullnshoot25.
Old 11-18-2009, 1:54 PM

wait open carry is legal in CA? since when? Or is this a rural area?

I committed to donating at least 10 measly bucks a month to the CalGuns Foundation.
Old 11-18-2009, 1:55 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veggie View Post
Unloaded Open Carry (UOC) has been for a while, but it is advised by CGN and a lot of other people not to do it for a while, until something changes.
Old 11-18-2009, 1:57 PM

Yea I live in a very safe town. But I may do this if I have to go somewhere at night. I feel no need during the day.

I committed to donating at least 10 measly bucks a month to the CalGuns Foundation.
Old 11-18-2009, 2:01 PM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turo View Post
Unloaded Open Carry (UOC) has been for a while, but it is advised by CGN and a lot of other people not to do it for a while, until something changes.
key word in that post. And expect LE-attention while doing it.

There are some major pitfalls with UOC, such as you have to stay out of gun-free school zones, 1000' feet away from a school. Make a mistake on that and you can end up with a conviction like another CG'er currently has.

So, when The Right People recommend that you don't UOC, pay attention. AT least, research the hell out of it and know exactly what you are getting yourself into by UOC'ing.

Do you want an AOW or C&R SBS/SBR in CA?

FrontSight Training Course certificates available $25, PM for details on them and other options.
No posts of mine are to be construed as legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.
Old 11-18-2009, 2:06 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Yea I live in a very safe town. But I may do this if I have to go somewhere at night. I feel no need during the day.
You need to read that blog and understand all the laws, in addition to having money for a defense fund as CGF may not support your case should you be (rightfully or wrongfully) arrested.

Just recently one of our own members here who is also a member of OCblog or OC.org was convicted (wrongfully IMO) and has lost his gun rights. We are all praying for him to win on appeal.
You can help him by donating to his legal fund. Here ---> Thesues
and also read and know his story.

Please read and understand the laws...look to Pullnshoot25 for guidance on the subject.

California Uber Alles, California Uber Alles
Uber Alles California, Uber Alles California

I am Governor Jerry Brown, My aura smiles and never frowns, Soon I will be President...

Last edited by technique; 11-18-2009 at 2:08 PM..
Old 11-18-2009, 2:07 PM

Yea I am reading the law thoroughly. But really I don't plan to do so. I don't see a need where I live.

Old 11-18-2009, 2:16 PM
Calguns Addict

Every calguns member should read the second amendment forum. That is where most of the UOC discussion is because it's a legally charged topic.

I feel that we all should listen to CGF leadership and wait for incorporation and possibly a couple other court cases before any one encourages UOC.
Old 11-21-2009, 1:49 PM
Banned

This thread has made me laugh
Old 11-24-2009, 9:39 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Until we get incorporation in Ca, It may not be a good idea. But I UOC at times in unincorporated areas and LOC in areas where discharging is legal. Just be aware of the Law, keep clear of schools, and have a Video Cam ready. Just in case.

I hope Thesues wins the appeal also, I'm sure he didn't realize he was within 1000 ft of a school zone. The law states clearly "Knowingly within 1000ft of a School."
Break a leg, Thesues.
This case could prove invaluable to OC'ers and Tannerite shooters all over Ca.

The DOJ knows that two guys with semi autos that have a folding or collapsable stock, or pistol grip could take out California's entire police force, SWAT, and the National Guard. Jeeze, that pistol grip and stock are really dangerous...
Old 11-25-2009, 6:16 PM

So what does UOC get you other than potential trouble and loss of rights? Some things are just not necessary in my book. If you need a gun, an unloaded one is worse than none at all.
Old 11-25-2009, 6:29 PM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by joepamjohn View Post
So what does UOC get you other than potential trouble and loss of rights? Some things are just not necessary in my book. If you need a gun, an unloaded one is worse than none at all.
you do realize that you can carry the ammo with you when you UOC? If you can survive the encounter for ~5seconds, you could have a loaded firearm to defend yourself.

I think trying to survive long enough to get your firearm loaded, and defend yourself, may be easier than trying to survive long enough to call 911 and wait for an LEO to save you.

FrontSight Training Course certificates available $25, PM for details on them and other options.
No posts of mine are to be construed as legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.
Old 11-25-2009, 6:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ke6guj View Post
you do realize that you can carry the ammo with you when you UOC? If you can survive the encounter for ~5seconds, you could have a loaded firearm to defend yourself.

I think trying to survive long enough to get your firearm loaded, and defend yourself, may be easier than trying to survive long enough to call 911 and wait for an LEO to save you.
In California the risks are not worth the gains at this point. To carry an unloaded gun gathering attention from EVERYONE (including Leo's) aint worth it to me. God forbid I stray and violate one of the BS restrictions and is all over for any guns in my life.

Last edited by joepamjohn; 11-25-2009 at 6:46 PM..
Old 11-25-2009, 6:52 PM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
In California the risks are not worth the gains at this point. To carry an unloaded gun gathering attention from EVERYONE (including Leo's) aint worth it to me. God forbid I stray and violate one of the BS restrictions and is all over for any guns in my life.
I would not disagree with that. I was commenting on this part of your previous post "If you need a gun, an unloaded one is worse than none at all."

Old 11-25-2009, 7:39 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
To carry an unloaded gun gathering attention from EVERYONE (including Leo's) aint worth it to me.
One could always conceal a long gun, have it unloaded with the mags/ammo right next to the gun for defense in a car or on foot. One could either put in a trunk for school zones but if schools are a non issue it could be put somewhere where it is useful.

Or put a handgun right next to you in the car in a small locked container that could be easily opened(like a backpack or tool box with lock) which would allow one to not be in violation of PC12025 or the school zones.

just some ideas for those who can't or are unable to UOC at this time
Originally Posted by forumguy View Post
The same way they enforce all the rest of the BS laws. Only criminals are exempt, while the honest obey.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwiese View Post
Sometimes I think the function of Calguns is half to refute bad info from gunshops and half to refute bad info from DOJ.
Old 11-25-2009, 8:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tombinghamthegreat View Post
One could always conceal a long gun, have it unloaded with the mags/ammo right next to the gun for defense in a car or on foot. One could either put in a trunk for school zones but if schools are a non issue it could be put somewhere where it is useful.

Or put a handgun right next to you in the car in a small locked container that could be easily opened(like a backpack or tool box with lock) which would allow one to not be in violation of PC12025 or the school zones.

just some ideas for those who can't or are unable to UOC at this time
Right..But the topic of discussion here is OC or UOC.

Last edited by joepamjohn; 11-25-2009 at 8:56 PM..
Old 11-25-2009, 8:53 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
You could always hit your assailant with it. I can load in 3 seconds. If I was at a mall and some idiot opened fire. They wouldn't get a chance to kill 7 people.
Cops are very seldom around when they are needed. Unfortunately, they arrive just in time to clean up the mess.

The DOJ knows that two guys with semi autos that have a folding or collapsable stock, or pistol grip could take out California's entire police force, SWAT, and the National Guard. Jeeze, that pistol grip and stock are really dangerous...
Old 11-25-2009, 8:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diginit View Post
You could always hit your assailant with it. I can load in 3 seconds. If I was at a mall and some idiot opened fire. They wouldn't get a chance to kill 7 people.
Cops are very seldom around when they are needed. Unfortunately, they arrive just in time to clean up the mess.
I can see your point. I was more refering to a direct one on one attack where you may be better of trying to defend yourself in other ways other than fumbling with trying to load a gun. It may be all over for you in those first few seconds.
Old 11-26-2009, 12:27 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by diginit View Post
They are also NOT REQUIRED to step in!
Old 11-26-2009, 7:32 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I can see your point. I was more refering to a direct one on one attack where you may be better of trying to defend yourself in other ways other than fumbling with trying to load a gun. It may be all over for you in those first few seconds.

Most people UOC as a deterrent to crime. If a criminal sees a person in the liquior store has a gun, They may think twice before beating and robbing the girl behind the counter. Don't you think? I LOC in certain areas to protect myself and whomever I am with. Police are 50 or more miles away. Even at 60 MPH, It would take 45 min to get there. Criminals know this.

My best friend is a trucker. He noticed a bullet hole in the rear window of the cab at a fuel stop last month. He now carries loaded. He didn't even realize he was being shot at. Some lowlife didn't like big rigs or thought if would be funny. Some people just plain SUCK Donkeys!

Last edited by diginit; 11-26-2009 at 7:41 PM..
Old 11-27-2009, 10:24 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
That makes the assumption that the gun is your only means of self defense. Everyone who carries a gun should also carry other self defense items should the situation make it impossible to get your gun loaded.

If you haven't seen it with your own eyes,
or heard it with your own ears,
don't make it up with your small mind,
or spread it with your big mouth.
Old 11-27-2009, 10:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
I'll second that. While carrying loaded weapons is our right, before getting past the unloaded obstacle, expect active resistance from ignorant law enforcement agencies, much like black (Negro) citizens experienced after Lincoln "freed" them after the Civil War, which continues to this day.

Oh yes, these bigots live on today. They used to wear sheets with pride, but most of these fools realize what a great target they are at night, the only time they usually emerged, like cock roaches in your kitchen.

LEOs were, and may still be key components, in organizations like the KKK. It does not look good for innocent citizens exercising their basic rights anywhere in this county.

Imagine your forefathers worrying about colored folks rights. Now, it seems, they too are colored, worrying 150 years later .... about basic human rights. May we all are the same color, as government sees us.
Old 11-28-2009, 7:38 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
yes and we landed on the moon too!

UNLOADED OPEN CARRY is legal.
Old 11-30-2009, 6:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darklyte27 View Post
yes and we landed on the moon too!
You really think so? That is a topic for another debate!
Old 11-30-2009, 7:20 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I just hope someone doesn't go out and OC because they saw it on the news and then gets them self in trouble.

My friends project for fallen officers:
http://www.inmemoryofthefallen.org/Home_Page.html
Old 11-30-2009, 9:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sytfu_RR View Post
I just hope someone doesn't go out and OC because they saw it on the news and then gets them self in trouble.
Well if so, they can see what rights they really do have after they hire an attorney and explain their story to the judge. It ain't worth it too me.

It's kind of hard to protect yourself when you are face down and bent over the hood of a police car every time you go somewhere with "your big iron on your hip". Yes you do have rights, in that case it's the right to remain silent.

Last edited by joepamjohn; 11-30-2009 at 12:41 PM..